It's all about making some shots!

Against ORU the Billikens attempted 65 field goals and made only 31% of those shots. The 65 field goal attempts is the second highest field goal attempts in the sixty-six games Coach Soderberg has coached over the past two plus seasons. The record for field goal attempts under Soderberg tenure is 67 attempts versus Houston on 1-18-03, a game the Billikens lost 72-59. Next highest is 64 shots against Arizona, in a losing effort on 12-03-02.

This past weekend had some interesting games:

Wake Forest beat Arizona 63-60 taking 54 shots and shooting 43%

Washington beats Oklahoma 96-91 taking 64 shots and hitting 55%

SIU-C beats UTEP 68-62 taking 55 shots and hitting 44%

SIU-C beats Vandy 67-53 taking 45 shots and hitting 56%

Xavier beats Miami(FLA) 83-70 taking 64 shots and hitting 48%

It appears the Billikens are getting plenty of good looks, but we have to make some shots!

What's your answer to the problem guest? I assume your point is that the problem is not the coach or the offensive scheme but just that our players are unable to hit open shots. Do we just yell at the kids and tell them to make their shots? Whose fault is the low shooting percentage? The players alone? Do we have enough quality shooters on the team or are the Bills doomed on nights where Reggie does not turn in an all-conference performance?

My personal take is that we lack the depth of shooters / scorers required to be successful with this offense. Maybe Luke Meyer and Darren Clarke shall get more minutes and prove that they can add some scoring depth but right now we are sucking wind.

imo, if you look at SLU's field goal attempts it indicates that the offense is getting good looks. It appears what we have a mostly is a team shooting slump (save the Troy game).....key veterans and rookies alike. Also, this team needs it's top 7 or 8 players to be 100 % healthy, which we were not last week. Let's see what the team shooting percentage looks like come Jan1.

I thought most of the shots by IO looked very good and smooth. they had a nice rotation and looked like they were going in. Tom seems to have regressed from last year when I thought he was the best offensive center we had for years. Many of the rest looked like they were shot off the side of the hand.

I agree with tseug. We are in a slump. Reg is a proven scorer who is hurt ... IO is a player with loads of skill and potential and seems to be starting to gain more confidence ... he had a bad shooting day Saturday but the rest of his game was good and he has been pretty good the rest of the year. DP is a true freshman and is learning what it takes at this level ... we know he can provide offense and get good shots for his teammates ... but he is going to have good and bad days early on. Tom ... I don't know ... but this was his first significant minutes of the year and he didn't finish at all ... we have seen him play better and I am sure he will.

We need to be in the gym working on offense and I am sure we are ... I beleive we will come together and be a good team as the year progresses. Will we make it to the Dance? I don't know but we need to get some wins under our belt and get some confidence going. It's not too late ... but the time to come together is now. I am betting on a big win Saturday to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

A win Saturday would be huge as Hawaii will be our biggest test so far, especially since they were able to beat the Salukis on their home court last night. We definitely need a confidence booster to get our team playing with confidence that they can make the crucial shots against good competition.

one thing that has been lost in the opening games, is the fact that the billikens are indeed playing with a more uptempo pace. the score doesnt reflect it because as tsuegnekillib states, we arent making shots. but still we arent intentionally grinding the shot clock to the last 5 seconds and we are getting good opportunities.

btw, siu lost to hawaii last nite. saturday obviously wont be a walk in the park.

I am of the belief that Hawai'i has a 10-12 point swing on home versus road games. By that logic and after the game last night, I'd expect SIU to beat UH by 8-10 in Carbondale. Since we are obviously not playing at the level of SIU, I agree we are going to have our hands full. If we were to actually lose, then I am afraid our season might be doomed.

Even the best home court advantage is around 5.5 points and Hawai'i's is a more mediocre 4.x points the past few seasons.

Hawaii has not enjoyed a great home advantage for a few seasons (very much like the Billikens) but they did have a significant one for a few seasons.

Their home court advantage ranking for the last seven seasons:

03-04 184

02-03 152

01-02 177

00-01 88

99-00 17

98-99 39

91-98 127

They would average out to above average but not even top 20%. This is similar to the Billikens.

"imo, if you look at SLU's field goal attempts it indicates that the offense is getting good looks."

If I was Hawaii's coach, I'd zone and let the wings and Husak shoot all the jumpers they want. Even if Frericks does increase his shooting percentage to 50% buckets on the inside buckets he's been missing, it won't be enough to offset all those missed jumpers. In fact, I'm sure Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Gonzaga are drawing up the same game plan. All these teams are better than Oral Roberts.

What I called "home court advantage" above is actually the FULL home over road differential. It is not HALF of anything. The fact remains that Hawai'i has NOT had an abnormal home-road differential (around 4 points) for at least 4 years and even when it did have an above average differential it was not that special.

There is a home court advantage in every sport and that NORMAL home court advantage is what Hawai'i and Saint Louis and (insert any team here) has. I do not doubt that travel to and from Hawai'i could be a possible factor but it seems that the players adapt. Sorry, there is nothing special about the relative performance of Hawai'i on the road v. home.

For the record Iowa State had the biggest home-road differential of major programs last year.

The stats don't tell the whole story when teams go to the islands. It's not only the long flight, especially from the midwest. It's also the "distractions". I've seen a lot of sunburned haole visiting players have real bad games there. Also some of the most home friendly officiating I've ever seen anywhere. But it's a great trip for the fans no matter how the game goes. Aloha brudda!!

If this was true would that not show up in the actual results of games? However weak the evidence (personally, I think 7 years is MASSIVE evidence in these circles) no one has offered ANY real evidence that all the "effects of going to/from Hawai'i" affect play.

It is possible there are some individual favorable factors (like home cookin', like difficulty in travel, etc.) but even if they do exist the net effect is washed out by other effects (like stern warnings from coaches, etc.). Also, possible and more likely is that there is no discernable effect. I am not claiming to know why, your stories would seem reasonable if there was evidence to back them up, but whatever the alleged mythological effects of travelling to/from U. of Hawai'i they have not shown up in the actual play of the actual games.

So, where is this mythology coming from? I really want to know because this is turning into a bad Dickie/Digger type rant where facts have no place.

Well that explains it finally. 90% is a good home record but hardly remarkable and hardly conclusive of an advantage. To show advantage they have to play worse on the road and the level of competition home and away must be considered.

76% of college basketball games are won by the home team. If Hawaii has trouble scheduling tough teams at home (the evidence I used weighted wins based on their Massey ranking) and they are a good team that would mean winning 90% at home would not be much evidence of home court advantage.

To use four years as the time frame, which seems to be the extent of the readily available source data that I have come across:

SLU 45-18 (71%) Home

14-32 (30%) Road

Hawaii 58-10 (85%) Home

17-29 (37%) Road

None of this factors in strength of schedule, which must be lower looking at the WAC. I am suprised by UH road %, I thought it would be lower.

Every team we play should go zone until we prove we can bust it. Reggie is the only real zone buster on the squad and, until he recovers, deprives us of this one outside threat. I was under the impression that Luke's game is more midrange so Darren Clarke and maybe Polk are the only candidates I can think of who can realistically help us recover from this scoring doldrum this year. Our inside scoring is too inconsistent to be counted on and we can expect teams to pack it in on defense now that our poor outside shooting has been exposed.

It's the same ball and the same hole, and all these guys hit those shots at their last level, and they hit them in practice. It's a confidence thing; if you're not hitting, you suddenly aren't looking aggressively for your shot...and when it's forced on you because you're wide open, you think to much and defeat the great muscle memory that got you to D1 in the first place.

>It's the same ball and the same hole, and all these guys hit

>those shots at their last level, and they hit them in

>practice. It's a confidence thing; if you're not hitting,

>you suddenly aren't looking aggressively for your shot...and

>when it's forced on you because you're wide open, you think

>to much and defeat the great muscle memory that got you to

>D1 in the first place.

Don't buy it UNCA (i.e., the answer is that the guys are tight and as soon as they relax everything shall be A-OK). Do we not need a proper mix between skill players, shooters, and grinders? Where are the shooters? Might our recruiting focus have neglected shooters over defenders? This year the answer is obvious. However, Brad has not been at SLU long and I'm willing to throw out the first two recruiting classes as the program was clearly in distress which hampers proper planning (Brad and his team were body snatchers the first two classes).

I believe in Brad but I'd like to see how he blends and balances the recruits going forward to a build a "team" as opposed to a collection of athletic defensive stoppers. Polk, Lisch, and Liddell are what we are building this team's foundation on. How shall Brad compliment them? 2 of those three are pass first players (Polk and Liddell). We need finishers around the basket and perimeter shooters to go with these 3. Hope we find them.