marquette

b-law

just noticed more negative posts below concerning last night's game. i don't want to keep beating this argument to death, but i was wondering if you ever took the time to read my post below comparing the teams' records over the past 10 years. i never got a reply from you.

and yes i agree last night was pretty tough to watch. the fact that there were only 1500 people as you so happily noted below was kind of depressing but also expected for a preseason game. please don't reply with some stat about marquette setting attendance records for preseason games. i've been to a MU-SLU game in milwaukee once - before the duane wade era in 1996 and attendance was dismal at best.

about the only thing i agree with you on with last night's performance was that izik looked timid. i really can't explain that either - hopefully it won't happen again. i am already more pleased with frericks than brown. you should have been here for brown's first few games two years ago - not a pretty sight at all.

by the way, EA sports played much better this year than last. i've never seen so many amazing ("lucky") shots fall in one game. maybe you weren't at that game last year. and yes, this EA sports team beat St. john's earlier this year - the same team your beloved eagles almost lost to.

Folks, we know that Billiken Law is a Marquette alumnus and roots for them above all. We can expect him to defend Marquette whenever HE perceives it's being put down. He's been defensive ever since the spring. What can we accomplish by calling him out, as if we could shift the balance of his loyalties? If anything, Bills fans are preventing him from developing a stronger affinity to the Billikens by always pitting the Bills against Marquette in posts.

Oh, no! Say it aint so!

If we arent nice to BLaw, he may not become a true SLU fan. Come on now. My guess is that if we kissed his butt and added the tagline "God shines his light on Marquette" to all of our posts, it wouldnt change his opinion. If he finds out that SLU fans have enough dignity to vigorously defend themselves and their interests thats not bad.

All of my anti-Marquette posts werent to bait anyone. I despise Marquette. I hope the lose all of their remaining games. If I would have known what scum they were, I would been with you and rooted for Mizzou against them last year.

Oh yes, feel the hate. Let it flow it makes this all so much more fun.

Whomever, suggested this is a military thing to hate our opponent is wrong. We don't do that anymore we have Rules Of Engagement. I picked this up living in Columbus, GA or Huntsville, AL both SEC counrty with AU, BAMA, UT, and UF fans all cohabitating in one big hate fest. We just need to bring that fervor to Billiken Basketball.

It is true that the "hate" is common and popular (unauthorized "anti-HateU" clothing is really popular and profitable). But just cuz "all the kids are doing it" does not make it OK here. One of the nicer aspects of this board is that I do not have to wade through too much muck. I would hope that enough people (although clearly not everyone and I am not recommending we all agree on this) would want a "nicer" board.

While I will root against a team (even passionately in some cases) I hardly think it is a virtue or even "fun" to "hate". I consider it a mild psychological pathology. Most psychological evidence suggests that all emotions are "sticky" -- whatever you are feeling tends to linger and become more frequent. That is, if you laugh you will be more likely to laugh in the next hour (and so on); if you get mad, you do not "blow off steam", but are more likely to get mad at other things. SO, "hating", while also being morally questionable in nearly all ethical realms, is also very pyschologically damaging. People think they can separate and compartmentalize their behavior but that is usually delusion.

There is also the practical fact that this is a Billiken board and we should focus most energy on promoting, debating, analyzing, and dare I say loving the Billikens. Discussion of any other team is fine but should not take up too much of the board.

I do like Marquette and root for them (although admittedly not very passionately) but then again I root for UWGB, UWM, UMass-Dartmouth, . . . and none of this is terribly relevant (as irrelevant as the teams I do dislike--cough, ND, Cough).

I am all for fun in many varied forms. I do think teasing and rivalry can be fun. Most cases on this board are "fun"--too many are not. We'll never agree on what that line is probably, but an open call to "let the hate flow" is unlikely to improve the board. Particularly, for a school in which we have a healthy rivalry and mutual respect.

I am definitely suggesting that people on this board hide some really ugly/boring behaviour by suggesting they were "just having fun." A common but really weak defense.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to feel about a rival program. Feel free to HATE Marquette, Missouri, Cincinnati, Louisville, etc., as much as you want. Even post three times a day a plea that the Marquette program crash and burn.

What I was saying is that it can't be productive towards enhancing Billiken Law's following of SLU if we're calling him out, reminding him of stuff he wrote three months ago, and dragging his feelings about Marquette (his alma mater) into discussions unrelated to Marquette.

Here are some examples of what I would recommend and would tecommend against -- take it for what it's worth (FWIW):

Acceptable -- "Did you see that Marquette went up in the polls after its latest win? Man, I can't understand the media's infatuation with them. Just because they went to the Final Four last year doesn't mean they're a mainstay of college basketball's elite. Without Dwayne Wade, they have no shot of repeating last year's success, so the voters should get off their...."

Unacceptable -- "Marquette went up again, even though the Warriors played poorly in their latest win. If it had been the Billikens, they would quickly fall out of the poll. Billiken Law, how can you continue to justify that?"

The former just gives an analysis and opinion and doesn't provoke B-Law by name. The latter provokes him by name and sounds like sour grapes because of throwing the Billikens into it.

I guess the bottom line is that I think we should treat Billiken Law as a Billikens fan (because he is) and not try to convert him from being a Marquette fan (because it will never work). I can't read his mind, but I do think that if we focus on his leanings towards Marquette and continually provoke him to make comparisons, he may develop as much of a dislike for Billikens fans as many Bills fans have for Mizzou fans, thereby stunting his growth as a Bills fan.

But you can do what you want to do. I'm just making a suggestion.