CJ Noland Decommits

24 minutes ago, Quickdraw said:

Except for graduate transfers, the portal closed a while back.  So is Noland now entering again?  Or is it a case of once entered you can come and go as you please?  I’m really feeling like there are no rules anymore.  It’s the NFL Relocation Guidelines!

He verbally committed to SLU .... doubt he signed any papers locking him in on that decision. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppose I told you we had a replacement for Noland.  The sub's career  slash line graded out to B / D- /  F-...translating to 45.3 / 31.9 / 59.4  AND  his numbers were trending down.  Would you be excited with this replacement?

Well there is no replacement...those are CJ Noland's numbers and grades.   While his overall numbers are still too small for a forecast (except 3s)  they are large enough to make a projection.

I asked the computer what role would you see Noland playing in the coming year if he suited up as a Billiken in the 23-24 season.  

Answer...He would be a contributor coming off the bench...not a difference maker.

Bottom line..There are dozens of players left on the portal who have similar or better numbers who can be a bigger part of next year's team.

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Suppose I told you we had a replacement for Noland.  The sub's career  slash line graded out to B / D- /  F-...translating to 45.3 / 31.9 / 59.4  AND  his numbers were trending down.  Would you be excited with this replacement?

Well there is no replacement...those are CJ Noland's numbers and grades.   While his overall numbers are still too small for a forecast (except 3s)  they are large enough to make a projection.

I asked the computer what role would you see Noland playing in the coming year if he suited up as a Billiken in the 23-24 season.  

Answer...He would be a contributor coming off the bench...not a difference maker.

Bottom line..There are dozens of players left on the portal who have similar or better numbers who can be a bigger part of next year's team.

But what fun can you have without running around with your hair on fire screaming that the rapture is happening because players keep disappearing???.....

23 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Boy, folks on this board worry too much.  SLU has a decent "core" of players.  Three spots to fill with many players still not committed.  I'm thinking I might start worrying, say in July, if SLU still hasn't filled some of the holes in this squad.  Until then, think I'll enjoy the developing story.  Don't think I'll stress over losing a guy that averaged 3.2 points a game.  He's totally replaceable.  Chill guys.  It's only a game.

Nothing in sports I hate more than “it’s only a game” crowd.  

39 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Nothing in sports I hate more than “it’s only a game” crowd.  

Sorry, love the Billikens, but they are way down my list of what is really important.  If they suck next year, I'll follow them and cheer for them realizing it's just another form of entertainment.  I am not playing nor are you, so we are just watching and cheering ....... right, it's just entertainment and not worth stressing over or letting it ruin your day.  Just my opinion ..... 😁

13 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Thanks for those projected stats but at the risk of speaking for others I doubt most people saw Noland as a difference maker this season. I was happy when he committed but The commitment didn’t make my socks roll up and down. I’m not upset over Noland’s decommitment I’m worried because it was preceded by another decommitment and 2 coaches leaving for what they perceived as better jobs following what was arguably the most disappointing season in men’s hoops history. Heading into June we  have 3 roster spots and a coaching position open. Add it all up and It’s bad optics. Let’s hope of those dozens of players left in the portal that are equal or better than Noland that some choose to consider SLU. And let’s hope in the back of their minds they’re not wondering WTF is going on or have others whispering in their ears about the precarious state of SLU hoops. Clearly there isn’t as much in the BVF (for recruits) as we thought there was and being able to sell a shoot ton of playing time hasn’t really been an effective tool for our great recruiter.  Still plenty of time to turns things around but things have not been trending in the right direction for quite some time. 

10 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Thanks for those projected stats but at the risk of speaking for others I doubt most people saw Noland as a difference maker this season. I was happy when he committed but The commitment didn’t make my socks roll up and down. I’m not upset over Noland’s decommitment I’m worried because it was preceded by another decommitment and 2 coaches leaving for what they perceived as better jobs following what was arguably the most disappointing season in men’s hoops history. Heading into June we  have 3 roster spots and a coaching position open. Add it all up and It’s bad optics. Let’s hope of those dozens of players left in the portal that are equal or better than Noland that some choose to consider SLU. And let’s hope in the back of their minds they’re not wondering WTF is going on or have others whispering in their ears about the precarious state of SLU hoops. Clearly there isn’t as much in the BVF (for recruits) as we thought there was and being able to sell a shoot ton of playing time hasn’t really been an effective tool for our great recruiter.  Still plenty of time to turns things around but things have not been trending in the right direction for quite some time. 

correct, this isn't about Noland.  That fact that we have 3 spots open in June isn't a good thing, its a bad spot to be in.  Could we potentially replace CJ with someone better? you bet. Is there a better chance we land someone worse, likely. 

On 5/30/2023 at 10:16 PM, NoCoBillsFan said:

The Ford Fan Club has been very quiet as the off-season has gone downhill

It's only the Ford Haters Club that has been acting like their hair is on fire - from one thread to the next.

CJ Noland committed?! Fire Ford!

CJ Noland decommitted?! Fire Ford!

dennis_w likes this

20 minutes ago, Compton said:

It's only the Ford Haters Club that has been acting like their hair is on fire - from one thread to the next.

Again, 3 spots in June is not a good thing. Further you wait, worse the talent pool gets, and we're getting pretty late.  Its ok to have a spot open this late, but that should really be just one spot for a depth piece. We're potentially 3 starters away. 

JMM28 likes this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Again, 3 spots in June is not a good thing. Further you wait, worse the talent pool gets, and we're getting pretty late.  Its ok to have a spot open this late, but that should really be just one spot for a depth piece. We're potentially 3 starters away. 

You think we still need 3 starters from the portal? 

PG - LHJ
SG - Parker
SF - GJ
PF - THJ/Dalger?
C - Ezewiro

If one of those guys gets bumped for an impact transfer, sounds good to me. 3 seems a little silly. Granted, we'll always take more quality bigs and a veteran ball-handler might help depending on what Ford envisions for Medley. 

12 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

You think we still need 3 starters from the portal? 

PG - LHJ
SG - Parker
SF - GJ
PF - THJ/Dalger?
C - Ezewiro

If one of those guys gets bumped for an impact transfer, sounds good to me. 3 seems a little silly. Granted, we'll always take more quality bigs and a veteran ball-handler might help depending on what Ford envisions for Medley. 

Depends on how good we want to be next year. If we want to be an NCAA team, LHJ isn't your starting PG. Don't get me wrong, I think the kid will be good.   Im still not sold on either THJ or Dalger being a quality starter.  Dalger was the 2nd worst defender on the 10th worst defensive team in the country. That has me pretty worried, especially since we as a board complained about defense last year.  Brad could be starter - its a high risk high reward type. His 40 #s are good, but the sample size is still pretty small, its hard to tell if those will be even close to accurate.  And because of that reason alone, I tend to want a starter.

At the very least I think we need 2 starters to be top 5 in the A10, 3 starters to be an NCAA bubble team, just 1 keeps us in the 6-9 spot in the conference. 

We probably do have the best 2-3 in the conference, and if Dalger makes a huge leap defensively, we may have the best 2-3-4

dlarry likes this

5 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Brad might not even be eligible as a two time transfer. Until there’s confirmation he gets a waiver, someone else probably starts at center. 

You're not wrong, would be stupid to rely on that, even though its highly likely since coaching changes happened both times. 

22 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Depends on how good we want to be next year. If we want to be an NCAA team, LHJ isn't your starting PG. Don't get me wrong, I think the kid will be good.   Im still not sold on either THJ or Dalger being a quality starter.  Dalger was the 2nd worst defender on the 10th worst defensive team in the country. That has me pretty worried, especially since we as a board complained about defense last year.  Brad could be starter - its a high risk high reward type. His 40 #s are good, but the sample size is still pretty small, its hard to tell if those will be even close to accurate.  And because of that reason alone, I tend to want a starter.

At the very least I think we need 2 starters to be top 5 in the A10, 3 starters to be an NCAA bubble team, just 1 keeps us in the 6-9 spot in the conference. 

We probably do have the best 2-3 in the conference, and if Dalger makes a huge leap defensively, we may have the best 2-3-4

You laid out a wish list for 3 additional starters, which still puts us on the imaginary bubble? And people still have hope for the NCAAs? After last season?

51 minutes ago, wgstl said:

You're not wrong, would be stupid to rely on that, even though its highly likely since coaching changes happened both times. 

Coaching changes are no longer on the list for an automatic waiver. 

But yes, I assume the NCAA Waiver Committee will be handing out waivers upon request.   Until Brad gets his, I have an * by him on the roster list.

23 hours ago, Compton said:

Let’s break down the current state of the program. It’s about more than Noland and you know it. 

We are coming off of a season where we being picked in the top 25 prior to the season and were seen as one of the top 2 teams in the A10 before the year started. We ended the year barely inside the top 100, no postseason, and had some of the worst losses since the Crews era (SIUE at home).

As of June 1st, we are still missing an assistant coach and have three open scholarships. Due to the fact that we lost three starters and several impact players, hitting the portal hard was a must. And what have we gotten? A good big that will need a waiver that he might not get, a terrible defender from a terrible team (when the current roster already has no defense), and a completely unknown Euro big (that Ford has had 0 luck on so far).

And the current roster isn’t exactly stacked either. Jimerson coming back helps, and I’m super high on Parker, but what else do we have? Our only true point guard is an undersized freshman, all of our bigs are giant question marks, and we really have nobody that can actually guard a wing effectively. 

And that’s just looking at the surface level! It gets worse when you add context. I’ll make a list:

1. We’ve only made the tournament once in 6 possible seasons (and that only happened because Tramaine Isabell turned into prime Allen Iverson for four games).

2. We have had two de-commitments of much needed impact players and lost two assistant coaches in the last two months.

3. The A10 continues to get worse and while the Big East is likely to expand soon, we’ve completely threw away any chance of us being able to move up.

4. We haven’t made any strides in recruiting for 2024 and beyond.

5. We had a local two-time National assist leader on the roster and he never made the tournament, not exactly sending a good message to any future local recruits.

6. Our “Ace-recruiter” of a coach has a roster without a single top-150 recruit.

7. We have the highest paid coach in the conference and he has never finished higher than 4th in 7 seasons.

Sit back and think about it. Are you happy about this? Does this make you hopeful for the future of the program? According to the AD and the FFC, we got our 20 wins so we should just shut up and take the mediocrity. Personally, I actually care about the program and would like to see it be better than this. 

20 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

I don't disagree with your statement as the roster stands today.  But given there are still three open roster spots, your statement is very possibly totally wrong. 

If Ford and staff can add three solid rotation type players to the roster, your prediction goes up in smoke.  And there are plenty of solid players still out there and available to make my premise very doable.

Yeah and if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Coaching changes are no longer on the list for an automatic waiver. 

But yes, I assume the NCAA Waiver Committee will be handing out waivers upon request.   Until Brad gets his, I have an * by him on the roster list.

yes and no.  From how I understand it is yes coaching changes no longer count, that said, it helps your chances still until the NCAA completely revamps everything in the coming months. 

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

We probably do have the best 2-3 in the conference

I candidly tuned out more last season than typical, but is everyone sold on Sincere Parker being an all conference caliber shooting guard? Again, I can't say I watched him closely enough, but it is interesting that Jimerson (his production as an all conference shooter is known) and Parker (averaged 5.9 points in 12.5 minutes per game) would be the top wing combo in any major league heading into the season.

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I candidly tuned out more last season than typical, but is everyone sold on Sincere Parker being an all conference caliber shooting guard? Again, I can't say I watched him closely enough, but it is interesting that Jimerson (his production as an all conference shooter is known) and Parker (averaged 5.9 points in 12.5 minutes per game) would be the top wing combo in any major league heading into the season.

Parker can flat out score at all three levels, he just didn’t get the shot attempts last year. I don’t know enough about the 2s and 3s in the rest of the conference to definitively say where’d they stand in the A10, but I’d pick them against anyone on the offensive end. However, the defense probably holds them back a lot

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Absolutely. He did have an awful first half - like most JUCO players. 

In conf he shot 42% from 3. He needs to finish through contact a lot better, but he can shoot the 3 and mid range with the best of them(Perk and Gibby)

4 hours ago, Compton said:

Agree.  Some folks just hate Ford so much, they see disaster around every corner.  My guess is that most if not all A10 teams still have unfilled spots on their rosters.  It is just the new reality of college sports.  I will be concerned if 2 of the 3 sports aren't filled by July.  Until then, I'm chilling.

13 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Agree.  Some folks just hate Ford so much, they see disaster around every corner.  My guess is that most if not all A10 teams still have unfilled spots on their rosters.  It is just the new reality of college sports.  I will be concerned if 2 of the 3 sports aren't filled by July.  Until then, I'm chilling.

No, really not too many teams with 3 or more, and most of those teams are typically ranked in the 300's outside of just Michigan who is in a complete collapsing mode.  There's a reason most teams have the roster ALMOST complete at this point(mostly 1 open spot). But you're trying to convince yourself its not a problem and that's fine, but not the case.  By July any potential starter will likely be gone. And we need a few. 

Also for the 100th time, I still have not met or heard a single person who "hates" Ford. 

22 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Makes sense. Before the calculus was looking for a "good fit" and making a leap of faith to a program that was "best" for you. Now it's in kids interest to see if they can scare up an extra $5-10-15K. They're incentivized to wait around and see if more money comes along, whereas simply getting scholarship offers they probably had a better "final" list sooner. It might even be a good strategy for some transfers to wait until some programs feel a bit desperate and try and scare up some more alumni cash.