CJ Noland Decommits

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It isn’t just Noland.  It is the pattern of how things 

Boy, folks on this board worry too much.  SLU has a decent "core" of players.  Three spots to fill with many players still not committed.  I'm thinking I might start worrying, say in July, if SLU still hasn't filled some of the holes in this squad.  Until then, think I'll enjoy the developing story.  Don't think I'll stress over losing a guy that averaged 3.2 points a game.  He's totally replaceable.  Chill guys.  It's only a game.

1 minute ago, WVBilliken said:

Boy, folks on this board worry too much.  SLU has a decent "core" of players.  Three spots to fill with many players still not committed.  I'm thinking I might start worrying, say in July, if SLU still hasn't filled some of the holes in this squad.  Until then, think I'll enjoy the developing story.  Don't think I'll stress over losing a guy that averaged 3.2 points a game.  He's totally replaceable.  Chill guys.  It's only a game.

The problem is this core has not sniffed the tournament and lost its best players outside of Jimerson. There aren’t plentiful contributors out there like 4 weeks ago. Just because SLU has open spots, doesn’t mean there’s good players out there to fill them. Oh, and they need people to actually be interested in coming here. 

14 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

The problem is this core has not sniffed the tournament and lost its best players outside of Jimerson. There aren’t plentiful contributors out there like 4 weeks ago. Just because SLU has open spots, doesn’t mean there’s good players out there to fill them. Oh, and they need people to actually be interested in coming here. 

I beg to disagree.  There are hundreds of players left unsigned, many many of A10 caliber.  Heck, the portal just closed less than 3 weeks ago!

AGB91 likes this

If someone doesn't want to be a billiken, it's best to know sooner than later.  Just like I'm no longer buying preseason hype, I'm also not conceding defeat 4 months before the first practice.  We'll fill the 3 spots with transfers because Ford needs immediate results.  Maybe we'll get a nice surprise.   As it sits now, season tickets will decline. 

From 247 Sports st the time of his commitment:

Noland additionally says assistant coach Phil Forte played a huge role in his decision as well. Forte and Noland’s relationship date back to Noland’s high school days when Forte offered and recruited Noland as a member of the Sam Houston State staff.

“Coach Phil played a big part in my decision as well,” Noland said. “With me and him having that relationship from the time he was at Sam Houston, there were a lot of ironic things that have happened now that he is at Saint Louis. God led me there.”

Oklahoma was not a good team and he was not a regular contributor at 3.2 points a game for a combo guard. He had size but also looked bench sitting soft in photos- not an energizer bunny physique like Yuri or Jimmer

9 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Am not happy that he backed out, but It's really hard to say what we have lost. His stats were very modest. He was signed for his potential. Whether he actually reaches anything close to his potential, remains to be seen. 

See Mickey Pearson. 

8 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I could not figure out how he would fit with this roster. Maybe he saw the same problem. That, and Ford left right after his commitment. Pretty rough. I cannot see how this affects next season at all.

Same here.  I wasn't too excited when he first committed, so hard for me to be upset he isn't going to be here.  I doubt if anyone had him penciled in as a starter. For me he was going to be, at best, a rotation player, 8 - 10.  

of course with our double secret policy for including the fans (or not) one has to worry that we cant even keep the likes of this guy to stay on the team.   wtf is going on?   

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

See Mickey Pearson. 

It is easy to want to write him off as someone who wouldn't have helped, but the staff made Noland their top target early in the transfer period.  Ford and company thought Noland could be a difference maker.  They could very well be wrong, but that then brings up a different issue.

5 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

Oklahoma was not a good team and he was not a regular contributor at 3.2 points a game for a combo guard. He had size but also looked bench sitting soft in photos- not an energizer bunny physique like Yuri or Jimmer

He did make the Big 12 All-Freshman Team and while Oklahoma was not a good team, they were #54 in Pomeroy (and #30 the prior season, a 1 seed in the NIT losing to St. Bonaventure by 2 in the 2nd round). For comparison, Georgetown was #219, Tulsa was #316, and SLU was #96. So while Oklahoma had a below .500 season a lot of that was due to playing in a loaded conference.

I'm not sure he was going to be an offensive threat, but we didn't need him to be one, but he seemed like the type of defensive player we were really missing in the backcourt last year. We may give up a lot of points again. 

Hughes/Medley

Jimerson/Parker/Thames/Hargrove

The big guys.

Yikes.

11 minutes ago, Scoop said:

This was Forte’s recruit.  Program was concerned about him leaving after Forte left.

see Brock Vice

My biggest criticism of Ford was getting Forte in the first place - a bad fit that was never going to be here for long.