OT: Best Memorial Day Movie?

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

Haven't watched it in a long time.  I did have a Vietnam vet, door gunner, tell me that it was a realistic depiction (sadly).  Charlie Sheen in a Vietnam movie made years after his dad starred in an epic Vietnam film.  Plus Willem Dafoe's epic death scene.

After all the napalm there is a scene where a deer wanders onto the silent battlefield.......I remember my dad, who didn't drop f-bombs lightly, saying  "A f'ing deer."

15 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Haven't watched it in a long time.  I did have a Vietnam vet, door gunner, tell me that it was a realistic depiction (sadly).  Charlie Sheen in a Vietnam movie made years after his dad starred in an epic Vietnam film.  Plus Willem Dafoe's epic death scene.

Another pretty good and under appreciated Vietnam War movie is Hamburger Hill. 

Tour of Duty was actually a really good network TV series about Vietnam back when I was a kid.  I don’t even know if there is any way to watch it today, but I remember wanting to watch it every week.  I will see if I can find it somewhere and see if it holds up as an adult now with what has to be like 35 years later.

war movies are awesome.   i love the patriotic holidays just for that reason.   watch the old war movies.

my top 3:

3. Saving Private Ryan   if you are not shaken and moved by this movie, something wrong with you.   the brutality of the landing is disturbing, but by all accounts this is the most accurate ever made.

2. Hackshaw Ridge   again a movie to demonstrate the brutality of war and what our brave vets endured.   incredible

1.  a tie for first with two mainly for entertainment but still showing the brutality.   The Great Escape and M.A.S.H.

8 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Longest Day

Cornelius Ryan wrote that and a Bridge too far.  Both were hollywood blockbusters with amazing casts.  A Bridge Too Far with Gene Hackman as Major General Sosabowski was just too sad to be a super popular movie.  I know it was a Hollywood movie but Ryan was Irish and both made Montgomery look like a pompous a-hole......

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

war movies are awesome.   i love the patriotic holidays just for that reason.   watch the old war movies.

my top 3:

3. Saving Private Ryan   if you are not shaken and moved by this movie, something wrong with you.   the brutality of the landing is disturbing, but by all accounts this is the most accurate ever made.

2. Hackshaw Ridge   again a movie to demonstrate the brutality of war and what our brave vets endured.   incredible

1.  a tie for first with two mainly for entertainment but still showing the brutality.   The Great Escape and M.A.S.H.

MASH didn't seem like leftwing Hollywood claptrap when I was young.  It's almost unwatchable now.

Saving Private Ryan just underwhelmed me.  The landing scenes were brutal but seemed pathetically small in scale.  I also didn't buy the premise of the whole movie.  They had radios and trucks and jeeps and messengers and I just couldn't buy sending Rangers to find one guy.  I know it was very loosely based on a true story but I don't believe they sent Rangers for the guy........I love Tom Hanks and wish he'd have been sent to blow up a bridge instead of saving Matt Damon.....