Yuri Collins to.....Grad Transfer

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Yuri should absolutely grab the biggest NIL bag he can 

And he should expect Billiken fans to be conflicted about his time here.  Albert Pujols was a great Cardinal who didn't let loyalty get in the way of his big bag of cash.  I can' t hate him for that but I also, despite his somewhat storybook ending here, wouldn't put him on my top 25 favorite Cardinal list and couldn't care less where he is and what he's doing now.....

Maybe it took the board a while to pick up on this news because it is the least surprising development of the entire off season. Whether he went to Europe, the D-League, another school, or nowhere at all, his legacy at SLU was baked. Going to a Tenn or a K-State won't change it.

Good luck Yuri. Thanks for the dimes.

billikenbill likes this

29 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

And he should expect Billiken fans to be conflicted about his time here.  Albert Pujols was a great Cardinal who didn't let loyalty get in the way of his big bag of cash.  I can' t hate him for that but I also, despite his somewhat storybook ending here, wouldn't put him on my top 25 favorite Cardinal list and couldn't care less where he is and what he's doing now.....

main difference tho.... Pujols got 2 rings here. Yuri didnt do a damn thang 

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

the prophecy says LHJ is the way. 

This is why yuri is not returning here. He didn’t wanna play back up and I can’t blame him 

1 hour ago, GOSLU68 said:

Good luck to Yuri!

it takes a team effort from 5 players to win and somehow in spite of Ford being Yuri’s biggest advocate.
The team seemed to come together with L Hughes Jr toward the end of season as he got over freshman awkwardness. My hope is Yuri is successful in future but having more ball handlers like Cian Medley and Hughes may leave us less vulnerable. Some of these other “bigger” “guards” may give us what we missed by Fred Thatch Jr being hurt. Bravo to Coach Ford for supporting all his kids even the special ones who are driven by personal ambition.

I don't get all this faith in Medley.  We haven't seen him really play unless you have other than highlights.  He has yet to play one minute at D1 and you are saying he is better than Yuri.  I am no apologist for Yuri but he was a good pg.  Maybe there were some things that he could have done differently but I won't trash the guy's accomplishments.  If Medley can come close to that I would be very happy but I plan to wait for the results.  No more crowning players until they earn it for me.  I still am suspect of this year's team especially if you look at it objectively and not through blue colored glasses.

7 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

this B*g G*ard d0ucher 

I think this is one of maybe 5 things that this board can 100% agree on. 
Big Guard is an absolute D0uche canoe. 

I really hope that clown gets a severe case of herpes. 

5 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Would anyone blame Yuri after last season? He hasn’t been to the tourney and SLU isn’t there yet 

This comes down to whether or not you subscribe to the idea that while no doubt Yuri brought a lot of good and wins to the Billikens, running everything through him is going to get any team to the tournament, I suspect he is returning for NIL money and to improve his draft stock, which would include him once again running the show.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not that it’s any of your business, but I would imagine I spent the first 18 years of my life at a level similar to Yuri Collins. I was also not gifted his natural athletic ability. 

I value loyalty and honesty. You don’t have to step on people or be dishonest to get what you want. 

1 minute ago, Band Legend said:
3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not that it’s any of your business, but I would imagine I spent the first 18 years of my life at a level similar to Yuri Collins. I was also not gifted his natural athletic ability. 

I value loyalty and honesty. You don’t have to step on people or be dishonest to get what you want. 

Expand  

Hey, maybe I was a bit flippant with my prior post, and your circumstances are none of my business, but I can't remember any billiken great that has suffered more slings and arrows on this board than Yuri.  Has he made some bad decisions- I'm sure he has, but for pure entertainment value he wildly exceeded my expectations. He just happened to play for us at a time when college basketball became the wild west, and I can't blame him for trying to squeeze every penny out of his talents.

31 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

Hey, maybe I was a bit flippant with my prior post, and your circumstances are none of my business, but I can't remember any billiken great that has suffered more slings and arrows on this board than Yuri.  Has he made some bad decisions- I'm sure he has, but for pure entertainment value he wildly exceeded my expectations. He just happened to play for us at a time when college basketball became the wild west, and I can't blame him for trying to squeeze every penny out of his talents.

I don't think he was taking "slings and arrows" like you say until after he entered the portal the first time. So, deservedly so, he was in the crosshairs of Billiken fans. And, unfortunately when you have the ball in your hands way more than any other player on your team, you're going to get the lions share of the criticism.

I’ve read the Comments, attended 6 SLU games this past season in person (SLU went 4-2), and watched most of the other games on TV. I am aware of the known issues and know what I observed. 

If I was in charge of the SLU Men’s BKB program, I would advocate doing what it takes within the current rules to keep Yuri  Collins for his 5th Season and pair him with Caleb Love and Gibson Jimerson, at SLU.

SLU needs to win now with the Big East TV contract up in 2 years.  SLU would have a better chance to win and win big, win as required, with Yuri and Caleb Love with Jimerson in Billiken Blue. Objectively and unquestionably the team would be better, significantly better, than what’s there now.

9 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

This will be unpopular and frowned upon but like I’m done with this Yuri insanity. He’s completely scuffed his Billiken legacy. The numbers are great and all but he d*cked around the program last spring essentially holding it hostage for NIL money allowing this B*g G*ard d0ucher to be his business manager, or so it appears. He withdraws from the portal as if he never planned on exploring other options, BS. He comes back, and can’t lead this team to the tournament(you wanna blame Ford too, fine but we played our best game at GW without Yuri. Mid season his “manager” goes after Rich Chaifetz on Twitter saying that they haven’t paid him the NIL that was promised, which is a complete lie. This behavior continued throughout the season with BG continuously saying SLU was shorting Yuri on $$. Then he enters the draft saying he wouldn’t want to wear any other jersey in college, now he’s apparently going to enter the portal again, and wear another jersey. Numbers are great, he’s a great passer, incredibly fun to watch. But man I have trouble believing anything the dude says. Players asked to be paid, asked for NIL, well now you get the criticism for acting a fool. When you were just on scholarship, fine you don’t get the heavy criticism. However you start bringing cash into the equation, now you’re a full blown adult pro worthy of whatever scrutiny comes your way. 

Yep. These guys are pro athletes and deserve the same scrutiny that pro athletes get.

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

If I was in charge of SLU Men's Basketball, I would bring back Yuri Collins for his 5th year, and pair him with Caleb Love and Gibson Jimerson, at SLU.

Then it's a good thing you aren't in charge, BAB. I'll take my chances with LHJ and Medley. I think the ball sitting in one guys hands 70% of the time and having no other ball distribution was a problem. It was also a problem having a 6 footer with terrible shooting skills on the floor for 40 mins a game.

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

Then it's a good thing you aren't in charge, BAB. I'll take my chances with LHJ and Medley. I think the ball sitting in one guys hands 70% of the time and having no other ball distribution was a problem. It was also a problem having a 6 footer with terrible shooting skills on the floor for 40 mins a game.

And let’s not forget he was terrible on defense. 

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Put Yuri with players that can score the ball and keep him distributing at point guard.  Let the other two score on Yuri dimes.

The reactions on this board remind of when Pujols left the Cardinals after the '11 season.  With time to heal that wound, he was welcomed back, triumphantly, a decade later.

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Put Yuri with players that can score the ball and keep him distributing at point guard.  Let the other two score on Yuri dimes.

The reactions on this board remind of when Pujols left the Cardinals after the '11 season.  With time to heal that wound, he was welcomed back, triumphantly, a decade later.

He didn't make the tournament.

He was injured when he did manage to get us to the post season.

I'm good, dude. Time to move on from this era of coulda woulda shoulda.

If we are really using a Pujols comparison; AP won the world series, is a hands down Hall of Fame professional player, one of the greatest baseball players in history, who played a clean game on the heels of "the roid era" and is literally a living legend not just in some podunk college program, but in worldwide baseball lore.

Good grief, man.