Welcome Brad Ezewiro!

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The simplest loophole in the portal rule is....

If the previous school signs a waiver releasing the student from the school....that's it...no physical  or mental reasons needed....no exigent circumstances...no disabilities necessary.   In many cases the new coach doesn't want the old players.  The NCAA rule about 2 transfers  gives the school the right to hold on to the player if they want by not signing a waiver...but would you want a player who doesn't want to play for you.   And if you did block the player guess what kind of list your school  would be on.  The list that says you ain't getting no more transfers. The players know this before they go into the portal and check with the school before they file for the portal....The recruiting coaches know this before they go after a player so they don't waste their time. The NCAA knows this and looks the other way.  The only ones that don't know this are some MBMs.

The 2 transfer rule is just more window gloss for a fading, antiquated NCAA.

A signed NPO form will no longer be a basis for waiver relief from the transfer year in residence requirement for an undergraduate transfer student-athlete whose first championship season at their new institution will be conducted during the 2023-24 academic year.

Microsoft Word - NCAA Division I CLR- NPO Form (word)_.docx (ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

A signed NPO form will no longer be a basis for waiver relief from the transfer year in residence requirement for an undergraduate transfer student-athlete whose first championship season at their new institution will be conducted during the 2023-24 academic year.

Microsoft Word - NCAA Division I CLR- NPO Form (word)_.docx (ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com)

Ah... yet another loophole in a dying NCAA....

An NPO is different then a waiver....NPO says we didn't let you play and that is the reason to leave...a waiver is we don't want you any more AND you are free to leave. The difference is the NPO let's NCAA makes the decision ...the waiver allows  the school and the player to make the decision and the  NCAA is a bystander.

Point of information...Ezewiro is one of four  2nd time transfers on Gtown...4 on just this 1 team.  Either GT is running a psycho ward or we are looking at another failed NCAA policy. 

NCAA=rudderless ship taking on water.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Guy scored 116 points in 27 games ..... 19 in the one game against Providence.  Sorry gang, just not impressed and given the 'top of the key/pick and roll' comment, looks like the Ford offense all over again with another promise to run.  We shall see.  We got an unknown from the Continent, a bench warmer from Oklahoma, and teo guys off arguably two of the worst teams in NCAAQ basketball last year.  Why aren't I excited?

Because you're a cynical, hateful old bugger.......wait did I really need the blue font???

8 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Guy scored 116 points in 27 games ..... 19 in the one game against Providence.  Sorry gang, just not impressed and given the 'top of the key/pick and roll' comment, looks like the Ford offense all over again with another promise to run.  We shall see.  We got an unknown from the Continent, a bench warmer from Oklahoma, and teo guys off arguably two of the worst teams in NCAAQ basketball last year.  Why aren't I excited?

Over all I agree with you but for some reason I like this signing. I think it’s going to work.

That said the key to next year is to go in with absolutely zero expectations. I’m expecting very little so when they win 18-20 games I won’t be nearly as pissed as I was this year.

being a Bills fan means doing some mental gymnastics sometimes. 

32 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Over all I agree with you but for some reason I like this signing. I think it’s going to work.

That said the key to next year is to go in with absolutely zero expectations. I’m expecting very little so when they win 18-20 games I won’t be nearly as pissed as I was this year.

being a Bills fan means doing some mental gymnastics sometimes. 

We had a bunch of skilled dudes who could put the ball in the hoop and still stunk it up. I can't imagine watching last season and still putting too much stock in scoring output statistics.

Bizziken likes this

10 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Ah... yet another loophole in a dying NCAA....

An NPO is different then a waiver....NPO says we didn't let you play and that is the reason to leave...a waiver is we don't want you any more AND you are free to leave. The difference is the NPO let's NCAA makes the decision ...the waiver allows  the school and the player to make the decision and the  NCAA is a bystander.

Point of information...Ezewiro is one of four  2nd time transfers on Gtown...4 on just this 1 team.  Either GT is running a psycho ward or we are looking at another failed NCAA policy. 

NCAA=rudderless ship taking on water.

We may be talking about two different things.  First, correct, the NPO is (was) not a waiver.   It was a basis for a waiver, as I stated.  Doesn't matter as the NPO is dead.

I am under the impression that the NCAA has to provide waivers for three time transfers, not the school as you suggest. A school can 'dismiss' a player, but if he is in the category being discussed, he would still need an NCAA waiver.  And last season, they were handed out like Halloween candy.

I posted the NCAA guidance memo and the now defunct NPO.  Can you please post a link to what you are referring to as a dismissal, whereby the player doesn't need a NCAA waiver.  The NCAA has a form and guidance manuals for everything, so what does that form look like? Is it current?  I have  not read the entire NCAA revised amendment to the transfer rule, only their summary memo which I posted.  So maybe it is in the amendment document?  Thanks.

I do agree that the NCAA likely won't enforce this new rule.  But for the sake of college sports, I hope they do try and install some sanity to this transfer portal.

@HoosierPal

Here is an article explaining the transfer rules.  I have bolded the key  section  under multiple transfers ..."coach changes and personal reasons"  ...and also "a player can not do these in the off season" (ie outside the 60 day portal window)

Of course , if you agree with me that the NCAA will do nothing to stop the 2nd transfer of dozens of players (including Ezewiro) then you also agree with me that the rules are window dressing.  If the rules are window dressing there is really no discussion...no enforcement= no rules.

There are a couple of things in play here....Coaches are free to leave...players should be too.  But the real issue...the elephant in the room is NCAA anti-trust violations.  If players challenge the NCAA in a lawsuit the NCAA not just loses power BUT may have to share revenues (March Madness and other revenue streams) with players.  So the NCAA cobbled together some quick and inadequate rules on portals and NIL in order to save itself.

Had they dealt with this issue years ago in a well thought out way they possibly could have preserved college sports rather than turning them pro...By refusing to deal with it earlier they have let the cat out of the bag.  Right now they are only trying to protect their revenue streams. 

What are the NCAA Basketball transfer rules? A guide into the portal process

by Tristan Freeman3 months ago

The transfer portal has become more important than ever in NCAA Basketball. Here’s a look at how the process works and when to focus on it.

One of the most decisive topics in NCAA Basketball has been the transfer portal and whether or not it’s good for the game. But one thing is clear, it’s here to stay. Last season, around 1,500 players transferred at the D-I level alone, which is around four a team.

The rules have been all over the place from the NCAA, with many players transferring more than once, with most finding a way to get a waiver for various reasons that include being “ran off” from the previous school and not having a scholarship available, a coaching change, personal reasons and etc.

It’s been viewed as the “wild wild west” by pundits, coaches, and others, with calls being made to reign things in. And the NCAA, through various committees and boards, has come up with various changes to try and simplify the process for all.

New 60-day window

There’s a “window” for the time for players to officially enter the NCAA Basketball transfer portal for the different sports seasons, with winter athletes (basketball), having 60 days to enter after the conclusion of the regular-season/conference tournaments. So for the men and women, the deadline would be May 11th. Anyone who enters during this period will be able to become immediately eligible if it’s their first time transferring. Anyone who enters afterward will have to apply for a waiver, something that isn’t guaranteed by the NCAA. Grad students are exempt from this rule so veterans can move at any time.

Tougher requirements for multiple transfers

The NCAA has been trying to get out of the waiver business and has made it clear that anyone can transfer one-time without issue, as long as they’re academically eligible of course. But if they move a second time and aren’t a grad transfer candidate, they’ll have to get a waiver, which is going to have stricter requirements. Coach changing and personal reasons are likely to remain options but as the NCAA showed with West Virginia transfer Jose Perez, they’ll deny a player to get eligible if it’s not done in the offseason.

The NCAA is still working on recommendations and how it looks this offseason is going to be very interesting. Expect there to be some kind of bumps in the road but these new rules should help what’s already a messy process to try to be cleaner. Of course, with NIL and everything else that comes into play, look for more storylines to occur.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

We had a bunch of skilled dudes who could put the ball in the hoop and still stunk it up. I can't imagine watching last season and still putting too much stock in scoring output statistics.

We scored enough points to win the A10. That wasn’t our problem. We need to improve our defense. 

MariaReynolds likes this

16 hours ago, Aquinas said:

He looks like a bully ball player and I like it!

I believe  Ford is looking for impact players for this year.

He apparently was told he would not have to play with his back the basket.  He would be used he said at the top of the key to set screens and free others for getting free to shoot.  I hope he is not disappointed with how Ford uses him in reality.  Hopefully he knows how to set a screen already because Ford never could teach Francis.

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Taj and I usually agree on most but I’m opposite of him on this one.  This is exactly the signing we needed.  

For Gtown last year, I throw out all individual performances bc Ewing was maybe the worst D1 coach of all time. 

I just want someone to defend and rebound and dunk.  We got that.  Kudos to Ford on this one for me. I think he’s actually a better fit than Jimmy Bell would have been for us.  

The season is going to hinge on how ready Cian is to run the show.  I want him to be a Kwamain so badly. 

cian, hughes, gibby, Hargrove, this guy. 

That should be a competitive line up.  

things looking up 

Bizziken likes this

22 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Taj and I usually agree on most but I’m opposite of him on this one.  This is exactly the signing we needed.  

For Gtown last year, I throw out all individual performances bc Ewing was maybe the worst D1 coach of all time. 

I just want someone to defend and round and dunk.  We got that.  Kudos to Ford on this one for me. I think he’s actually a better fit than Jimmy Bell would have been for us.  

The season is going to hinge on how ready Cian is to run the show.  I want him to be a Kwamain so badly. 

things looking up 

I’m guessing Parker will be a starter. If I was Ford I’d be working overtime with Legend Jr on his PG skills. Am sure his dad could be a huge help here as well. There were games last year that I thought Legend Jr ran the team more effectively than Yurimania. A 6’4” pg who can hit from the arc would be a problem for most A10 opponents. Is it true that LH jr has been training in CA? If so, I hope he’s working on PG skills. 
PG’s aren’t born to play the position they have to be groomed to play it. 

Francis Okoro stats show he was a good rebounder- but little else and Yuri never did learn to pass well to Francus and Forrest in my opinion. Too many low pass surprises. 

from the internet Okoro numbers at Oregon were not great and points per game peaked Junior year with Slu then regressed

Per Game

• Glossary
Season School Conf G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS   SOS
Career Overall   133 94 19.2 2.4 4.3 .556 2.4 4.3 .556 0.0 0.0   1.3 2.1 .616 2.2 3.8 6.0 0.4 0.4 1.0 1.1 2.5 6.1   5.38
  Oregon   66 40 15.2 1.2 2.5 .497 1.2 2.5 .497 0.0 0.0   0.7 1.5 .470 1.5 2.1 3.6 0.2 0.2 0.6 0.7 2.0 3.2    
  Saint Louis   67 54 23.1 3.5 6.0 .579 3.5 6.0 .579 0.0 0.0   1.9 2.7 .696 2.9 5.4 8.3 0.6 0.6 1.3 1.5 3.0 8.9    
2018-19 Oregon Pac-12 37 22 13.6 1.2 2.6 .469 1.2 2.6 .469 0.0 0.0   0.6 1.3 .469 1.3 1.9 3.2 0.2 0.2 0.5 0.7 1.8 3.1   6.13
2019-20 Oregon Pac-12 29 18 17.2 1.2 2.3 .537 1.2 2.3 .537 0.0 0.0   0.8 1.8 .471 1.7 2.4 4.2 0.2 0.3 0.8 0.7 2.3 3.3   9.09
2021-22 Saint Louis A-10 35 22 23.9 4.2 7.1 .588 4.2 7.1 .588 0.0 0.0   2.4 3.2 .766 2.7 5.4 8.1 0.4 0.6 1.2 1.2 2.9 10.8   3.45
2022-23 Saint Louis A-10 32 32 22.2 2.7 4.8 .565 2.7 4.8 .565 0.0 0.0   1.3 2.3 .589 3.2 5.3 8.5 0.7 0.6 1.4 1.8 3.0 6.8   2.85

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

@HoosierPal

Here is an article explaining the transfer rules.  I have bolded the key  section  under multiple transfers ..."coach changes and personal reasons"  ...and also "a player can not do these in the off season" (ie outside the 60 day portal window)

Of course , if you agree with me that the NCAA will do nothing to stop the 2nd transfer of dozens of players (including Ezewiro) then you also agree with me that the rules are window dressing.  If the rules are window dressing there is really no discussion...no enforcement= no rules.

There are a couple of things in play here....Coaches are free to leave...players should be too.  But the real issue...the elephant in the room is NCAA anti-trust violations.  If players challenge the NCAA in a lawsuit the NCAA not just loses power BUT may have to share revenues (March Madness and other revenue streams) with players.  So the NCAA cobbled together some quick and inadequate rules on portals and NIL in order to save itself.

Had they dealt with this issue years ago in a well thought out way they possibly could have preserved college sports rather than turning them pro...By refusing to deal with it earlier they have let the cat out of the bag.  Right now they are only trying to protect their revenue streams. 

What are the NCAA Basketball transfer rules? A guide into the portal process

by Tristan Freeman3 months ago

The transfer portal has become more important than ever in NCAA Basketball. Here’s a look at how the process works and when to focus on it.

One of the most decisive topics in NCAA Basketball has been the transfer portal and whether or not it’s good for the game. But one thing is clear, it’s here to stay. Last season, around 1,500 players transferred at the D-I level alone, which is around four a team.

The rules have been all over the place from the NCAA, with many players transferring more than once, with most finding a way to get a waiver for various reasons that include being “ran off” from the previous school and not having a scholarship available, a coaching change, personal reasons and etc.

It’s been viewed as the “wild wild west” by pundits, coaches, and others, with calls being made to reign things in. And the NCAA, through various committees and boards, has come up with various changes to try and simplify the process for all.

New 60-day window

There’s a “window” for the time for players to officially enter the NCAA Basketball transfer portal for the different sports seasons, with winter athletes (basketball), having 60 days to enter after the conclusion of the regular-season/conference tournaments. So for the men and women, the deadline would be May 11th. Anyone who enters during this period will be able to become immediately eligible if it’s their first time transferring. Anyone who enters afterward will have to apply for a waiver, something that isn’t guaranteed by the NCAA. Grad students are exempt from this rule so veterans can move at any time.

Tougher requirements for multiple transfers

The NCAA has been trying to get out of the waiver business and has made it clear that anyone can transfer one-time without issue, as long as they’re academically eligible of course. But if they move a second time and aren’t a grad transfer candidate, they’ll have to get a waiver, which is going to have stricter requirements. Coach changing and personal reasons are likely to remain options but as the NCAA showed with West Virginia transfer Jose Perez, they’ll deny a player to get eligible if it’s not done in the offseason.

The NCAA is still working on recommendations and how it looks this offseason is going to be very interesting. Expect there to be some kind of bumps in the road but these new rules should help what’s already a messy process to try to be cleaner. Of course, with NIL and everything else that comes into play, look for more storylines to occur.

Thanks for the article, it is interesting.  But the author didn't do much as far as research, did he/she.  Coaching changes are specifically listed as a NO for waiver determination.  The physical and mental health and personal well being reasons ARE listed as possible exemption criteria in the NCAA guidelines.  There is no mention or opinion in the article on the 'Run off' issues that was centered around the defunct NPO.

I said it before, but I do hope the NCAA finds a backbone, a 'set', and enforces this policy.  I will be surprised if they do it more than on token cases.  If you want to transfer twice, graduate in 3 years (tough but we have seen it done at SLU), or sit a year.  Very likely if someone is transferring three times in three or four years, they will need to address credits that may not have been accepted at University #2 or #3.  Take the year to study.

NOW, if the SLU staff does not have this waiver situation already in hand with Ezewiro, there will be hell to pay in River City.  We cannot afford to have a scholarship, for an intended rotation player, be wasted. 

(Thanks for the civil back and forth discussion.  If you do find something on the 'runoff issue' that is new for2023/24 season, I would be interested.  If not, then what the NCAA has published is the springboard for moving forward.)

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I’m guessing Parker will be a starter. If I was Ford I’d be working overtime with Legend Jr on his PG skills. Am sure his dad could be a huge help here as well. There were games last year that I thought Legend Jr ran the team more effectively than Yurimania. A 6’4” pg who can hit from the arc would be a problem for most A10 opponents. Is it true that LH jr has been training in CA? If so, I hope he’s working on PG skills. 
PG’s aren’t born to play the position they have to be groomed to play it. 

LHJ could be the best defender, with his quick hands. Four guys return and all the newbies seem like unonowns re: defensive proficiency.

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

things looking up 

I hope that’s not the starting line up. 

Yuri, Perkins, Jimerson, Picket, Okoro > Cian, Hughes, Jimerson, Hargrove, Ezewiro.

And I think by a rather large margin. 

IMO We need Noland and Parker to earn starting spots. 

But I do feel better about the team today than I did a month ago. 

19 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Yuri, Perkins, Jimerson, Picket, Okoro > Cian, Hughes, Jimerson, Hargrove, Ezewiro.

if you believe what Ezewiro said to 24/7 Sports, your listed five will all be playing out.  Ezewiro said he won't have to play with his back to the basket at SLU.  So we still need a Power Paint player, or we need for him to have misunderstood what the staff told him.

I agree that Parker will/should start.  Don't know about Noland. 

On paper we should have been much better last year than we were.  10 minutes of high effort per game won’t get it done against legitimate competition.

Nothing new here, but Twitter tweets and previous year’s statistics don’t win games.   If our newbies bring consistent intensity, we may  be as good as  if not better than last year.

28 minutes ago, dlarry said:

And I think by a rather large margin. 

We only could have gone up.  We didn't have much in the cupboard left.  I plan to sit back and watch.  Hype on unknown players is not going to get me excited - proof is in results.

HoosierPal, Schasz and slu72 like this

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

if you believe what Ezewiro said to 24/7 Sports, your listed five will all be playing out.  Ezewiro said he won't have to play with his back to the basket at SLU.  So we still need a Power Paint player, or we need for him to have misunderstood what the staff told him.

I agree that Parker will/should start.  Don't know about Noland. 

Other than Jimerson thinking the starting lineup will be wide open.  The transfers didn't come to SLU to be backups.  Should be an interesting competition.  

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, GoSluBills said:

https://youtu.be/5tVZ_BEEupg

Some Hasahn like dunks in this video. He looks to finish strong through contact and has some explosiveness. He averaged 3.5 RPG in only 12 MPG. Doesn’t need to be a double digit scorer. Great pickup. 

He was a new guy on a poorly coached team, only a sophomore, and he mostly played single-digit minutes per game until early January. In a way better league than the A10. Based on that context, agree that he has the potential to be similar to French down low, just hope he plays some D.

GoSluBills likes this