Rivera into the portal

19 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I thought we were supposed to hear good news regarding a transfer today...

That may be good news....now have 3 scholarships to give.  Rivera is a wing.  SLU needs 2 bigs and a ball-handing guard.

Rivera was always a stretch as an A10 level player.  I’m not a fan of these “fill the roster” types Ford picks up late in the recruiting season from out of nowhere. Rivera, Diarra, Cisse… what’s the point??  Surely we could pick up a serviceable role player that at least fits in at the D1 level.  I’d even take a shot in a Rashad Williams type over those guys… Rashad didn’t work out but the potential upside was greater than any of those fillers. 

10 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Rivera was always a stretch as an A10 level player.  I’m not a fan of these “fill the roster” types Ford picks up late in the recruiting season from out of nowhere. Rivera, Diarra, Cisse… what’s the point??  Surely we could pick up a serviceable role player that at least fits in at the D1 level.  I’d even take a shot in a Rashad Williams type over those guys… Rashad didn’t work out but the potential upside was greater than any of those fillers. 

I don’t mind it. Do you expect us to have a roster of 13 guys who get minutes? If not, filing spots 11-13 with guys like Rashad Williams is a recipe for disaster.

DOC and 2010andBeyond like this

46 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Hard disagree that a Rashad Williams type offers more potential upside than a Cissé. If you'd gone with almost any other non-highly recruited experienced transfer - Marten Linssen, Deandre Jones, even Tay Weaver - that comment would start to make sense.

5 hours ago, Compton said:

Hard disagree that a Rashad Williams type offers more potential upside than a Cissé. If you'd gone with almost any other non-highly recruited experienced transfer - Marten Linssen, Deandre Jones, even Tay Weaver - that comment would start to make sense.

It’s easy to say that now with hindsight being 20/20, but at the time every single person on this board was more excited about Williams than any of those other guys. Williams was showing up on preseason lists of the ten best shooters in college basketball.  The fact that he flopped majorly seems to be making a lot of people forget that.  

NoCoBillsFan likes this

8 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

What a SLU career…. 

So invisible, I'm thinking he might have been in witness protection.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

It’s easy to say that now with hindsight being 20/20, but at the time every single person on this board was more excited about Williams than any of those other guys. Williams was showing up on preseason lists of the ten best shooters in college basketball.  The fact that he flopped majorly seems to be making a lot of people forget that.  

I was in that group because of that MSU tape. Just goes to prove even a blind squirrel can find an acorn now an then. Unfortunately he’s still blind. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I was in that group because of that MSU tape. Just goes to prove even a blind squirrel can find an acorn now an then. Unfortunately he’s still blind. 

I think that one video caused a lot of undo hype. His stats from his prior two years at Oakland were nothing to get excited about (34% fg, 33% 3pt, 1.5 assts, 2.1 TOs). Jones and Weaver were better in each of those categories, but they never put up 36 on MSU.

BilliesBy40 likes this

Did Rivera even practice with the team given his injury?  If not, seems like a double terrible waste of a scholarship.  Nick Kramer was a waste; didn't play but at least practiced.  Rivera was a double waste if he didn't even practice.  I don't mind carrying some practice-type players but Ford's late-in-the-game signings really seem to add no benefit to the team ..... Anthony, WIlliams, Traore, Cisse, Jones, Weaver, and Rivera.  Which makes me nervous about van Bussel.

4 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Williams was severely overrated. Many people realized it at the time by simply looking at his stats. He had an out-of-body game against Michigan State but otherwise his %s showed he wasn’t a sharpshooter. Regardless, Williams wasn’t recruited to be a guy at the end of the bench even if that’s where he ended up.

11 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Did Rivera even practice with the team given his injury?  If not, seems like a double terrible waste of a scholarship.  Nick Kramer was a waste; didn't play but at least practiced.  Rivera was a double waste if he didn't even practice.  I don't mind carrying some practice-type players but Ford's late-in-the-game signings really seem to add no benefit to the team ..... Anthony, WIlliams, Traore, Cisse, Jones, Weaver, and Rivera.  Which makes me nervous about van Bussel.

Ingvi and (maybe) Lorentsson were late signings too if I’m remembering correctly. And they contributed nothing on court.   Although I do admire Ingvi for having the courage to launch a near 35 footer with basically his first touch of one of his only games played.  Can’t remember if it caught any rim, but shooters shoot. 

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Ingvi and (maybe) Lorentsson were late signings too if I’m remembering correctly. And they contributed nothing on court.   Although I do admire Ingvi for having the courage to launch a near 35 footer with basically his first touch of one of his only games played.  Can’t remember if it caught any rim, but shooters shoot. 

speaking of, I cant find anything showing he has played since 20-21 in which he had a good season, 17 ppg, shooting 42% from 3

7 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I was not one of those that was a Rashad cheerleader.  His issue was he was never able to adjust to the new 3P line.

2018-19 Clev St...40.8... A+ ...old 3 pt line

2020......Oakland..32.3...D+....new 3P line

2021......Oak..........33.9...C-

2022...SLU............25.5....F-

He was one of the top shooters ITN at Oakland but only in 3P attempts.

A below average shooter from the new 3P line is not viable  not only when 3P is your thing but especially when it is your only thing.

There was hope he would find his old stroke but there never was any indication he could shoot from the farther 3P distance despite 466 attempts before he arrived at SLU. (150  3PA is a good sample size over 2 years)