Softball

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

11am ESPN+. I will die on the hill that college softball is the better spectator product compared to college baseball. Sorry if this offends.

Crazy talk.  I do enjoy watching college sotfball but high level college baseball is much more entertaining.  

3 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

Crazy talk.  I do enjoy watching college sotfball but high level college baseball is much more entertaining.  

I took in a game at LSU a few weeks ago. That is one of the best baseball environments you'll find, majors, minors, or NCAA. A full student section in right-center. Heckled the RF into dropping a fly ball that led to a grand slam. 12-14k every game. People tailgating in grass fields. It blew my mind as someone who went to SLU and has been to various MVC games where you can hand count the attendance. 

thatskablamo likes this

8 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I took in a game at LSU a few weeks ago. That is one of the best baseball environments you'll find, majors, minors, or NCAA. A full student section in right-center. Heckled the RF into dropping a fly ball that led to a grand slam. 12-14k every game. People tailgating in grass fields. It blew my mind as someone who went to SLU and has been to various MVC games where you can hand count the attendance. 

The last time SLU was in the NCAAs they played at Ole Miss. That experience was WILD....what little I remember of it.

27 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The last time SLU was in the NCAAs they played at Ole Miss. That experience was WILD....what little I remember of it.

When I was in school we played at Arkansas, it was an amazing atmosphere.  Place was rocking on Friday night and the Diamond Hogs were dancing on our dugout the entire game.  Needless to say we got hammered.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Definitely an unfair comparison. Did you note the rows of recreational vehicles parked outside the Box? Folks camp out for weekend series there. I want to call it almost a cottage industry for what SEC baseball culture is. As a three-year student mgr of the baseball team, my only joy came when we played Travis Tritt’s “It’s a Great Day to be Alive” when the Bills won…

…only problem was, we didn’t play it enough to earn Mr Tritt a full tank of gas on his tour bus. 

We were the furthest north CUSA team shoveling snow and hitting off tees in west pine when South Florida, TCU, Houston, Southern Miss were shagging flies in short sleeves. A10 ball has been better for us, but we have a long way to go and a short time to get there. 

DirtyRican and JMM28 like this

34 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Definitely an unfair comparison. Did you note the rows of recreational vehicles parked outside the Box? Folks camp out for weekend series there. I want to call it almost a cottage industry for what SEC baseball culture is. As a three-year student mgr of the baseball team, my only joy came when we played Travis Tritt’s “It’s a Great Day to be Alive” when the Bills won…

…only problem was, we didn’t play it enough to earn Mr Tritt a full tank of gas on his tour bus. 

We were the furthest north CUSA team shoveling snow and hitting off tees in west pine when South Florida, TCU, Houston, Southern Miss were shagging flies in short sleeves. A10 ball has been better for us, but we have a long way to go and a short time to get there. 

Oh make no mistake. I would never expect SLU to come within 10% of LSU baseball. I was just commenting on the high level college baseball is exciting to watch portion. 

SLU definitely will always have geographic and weather disadvantages. The correct/cheapest answer is probably some sort of inflata-dome type facility for the outdoor sports to train all year round. I am unfamiliar with what access baseball/softball have nowadays to facilities in the area though. 

On the bright side, St. Louis winters aren't as bad as most programs in the Big Ten, MVC, and other regional conferences. It doesn't help that the A10 is a bottom feeder baseball conference though. 

thatskablamo likes this

13 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Oh make no mistake. I would never expect SLU to come within 10% of LSU baseball. I was just commenting on the high level college baseball is exciting to watch portion. 

SLU definitely will always have geographic and weather disadvantages. The correct/cheapest answer is probably some sort of inflata-dome type facility for the outdoor sports to train all year round. I am unfamiliar with what access baseball/softball have nowadays to facilities in the area though. 

On the bright side, St. Louis winters aren't as bad as most programs in the Big Ten, MVC, and other regional conferences. It doesn't help that the A10 is a bottom feeder baseball conference though. 

No doubt about it. I was lucky enough to have seen both sides of the MVC spectrum during my time at SLU. Creighton, SMS and even Southern IL ran laps around Evansville, Indiana State, Bradley. Southwest Missouri went to Omaha in 03, for goodness sakes. We had a donor for a hitting net down the third base line, and it was the brother of one of our players who had a brief stint of success in the pros. I don’t think it lasted more than a season or two before it faded away. 

49 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I love that grown men when having a dispute will use the large inflatable rat.  I haven't seen it in a while, so maybe I would come out just to see the rat.

For sure - but it’s more civilized than the Hoffa days when they’d put a live one in your car when a guy crossed the line.

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

11am ESPN+. I will die on the hill that college softball is the better spectator product compared to college baseball. Sorry if this offends.

Doesn't surprise me one bit.  I think college baseball is the hardest college sport to watch. 

31 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Scabby the Rat. Yes, that’s his name, and the Supreme Court ruled that using an inflatable rat is protected free speech

I love a good Scabby appearance because I always make sure to patronize the business that Scabby appears at. 

18 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I love a good Scabby appearance because I always make sure to patronize the business that Scabby appears at. 

"Scabby" Awesome name.  I always love the one paunchy oldster with a "whatever local" sunbrella sitting in a lawn chair.  Cool gig if you can get it......

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Looks like the softballers took it on the chin vs. Mason, falling 5-2.

10 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Looks like the softballers took it on the chin vs. Mason, falling 5-2.

Yep, but it is a double elimination tournament, so they are still in it. Next game for them should be Friday 1:30 Central time on ESPN+

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Houdini Sh*t

I’ve never watched a Billiken softball game.  Out of the blue I remembered they were in the tournament.  Checked to see how they were doing. Saw they were headed to the bottom of the 7th - on the verge of elimination.  Season over.  Tuned in. …..and I can’t believe I’m saying this but I agree with you - it is a better spectator sport than collegiate baseball, at least in the case of this  bottom of the 7th.

Non-stop.  Single, HBP, walk and smash to right, catchable but dropped.  Runner scores either way for a tie.  Drop means we win.  Wow!  Sorry to miss the next game which starts in about 10 minutes.

29 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

I’ve never watched a Billiken softball game.  Out of the blue I remembered they were in the tournament.  Checked to see how they were doing. Saw they were headed to the bottom of the 7th - on the verge of elimination.  Season over.  Tuned in. …..and I can’t believe I’m saying this but I agree with you - it is a better spectator sport than collegiate baseball, at least in the case of this  bottom of the 7th.

Non-stop.  Single, HBP, walk and smash to right, catchable but dropped.  Runner scores either way for a tie.  Drop means we win.  Wow!  Sorry to miss the next game which starts in about 10 minutes.

Baseball people fail to realize that any sport is better to watch than baseball, including softball.