Softball

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The SLU Athletic Department certainly has had a successful athletic year.  Start with the men's and women's soccer team titles, the women's hoops initial NCAA appearance, the documented success of the T&F teams, and now the women's softball and men's baseball teams.  Add the start of construction of the O'Loughlin Center to the list.  Congratulations to Chris May and his staff or a great year.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

The SLU Athletic Department certainly has had a successful athletic year.  Start with the men's and women's soccer team titles, the women's hoops initial NCAA appearance, the documented success of the T&F teams, and now the women's softball and men's baseball teams.  Add the start of construction of the O'Loughlin Center to the list.  Congratulations to Chris May and his staff or a great year.

LOL.

JMM28 likes this

Folks ripping on May certainly don't see the whole picture.  I understand basketball being the most visible but HP's post above shows success up and down the line.  

HoosierPal likes this

34 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Folks ripping on May certainly don't see the whole picture.  I understand basketball being the most visible but HP's post above shows success up and down the line.  

We're not even having the same conversation. I am keenly aware of the success up and down the line. My points about May as an athletic director have never been about on field success. On an athletic department level he's done a wonderful job of fundraising, but individual sports? Meh.

If you really want to get into it Baseball and more so softball are winning in spite of May, neither has the bare minimum in facilities but softball isn't even close.

9 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Define "bare minimum in facilities."  

Fair question.

Neither program has a pressbox. Of the NCAA Baseball Tournament teams in 2022, ONE did not have a pressbox. You cannot host an A10 Tournament without a pressbox, again if your goal is to win the A10 and make tournaments, you're hamstringing your chances of getting a tournament and therefore homefield advantage. Let us not forget the debacle that was the time they hosted an A10 and rented a pressbox.

Sh*t, even Harris Stowe has an enclosed press box.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Fair question.

Neither program has a pressbox. Of the NCAA Baseball Tournament teams in 2022, ONE did not have a pressbox. You cannot host an A10 Tournament without a pressbox, again if your goal is to win the A10 and make tournaments, you're hamstringing your chances of getting a tournament and therefore homefield advantage. Let us not forget the debacle that was the time they hosted an A10 and rented a pressbox.

Lol that's a disgrace with as much money as we have.

34 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Lol that's a disgrace with as much money as we have.

didnt anyone tell you?   slu is not allowed to spend their money put away.......ever.  

brianstl likes this

A press box.  I can accept that as bare minimum.  Shouldn't be too hard to construct and operate with our funds.  Hell, when I played, our diamond was on what is now Hermann with home plate at the NW corner and left field e3nding with a wire fence at old Channing Avenue.  Softball didn't even play on campus as I recall.  They've come a long way but the press box makes sense.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

A press box.  I can accept that as bare minimum.  Shouldn't be too hard to construct and operate with our funds.  Hell, when I played, our diamond was on what is now Hermann with home plate at the NW corner and left field e3nding with a wire fence at old Channing Avenue.  Softball didn't even play on campus as I recall.  They've come a long way but the press box makes sense.

My next issue would be seating, can you imagine bringing a player to visit the facility with their parents and showing them the cheap bleacher seats, like "hey you have to sit on these cold a$$ metal bleachers in March and April in Missouri"? At least soccer has concession stand with hot drinks and easily accessible bathrooms. Baseball you have to walk to the outfield or use the porta johns....

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

My next issue would be seating, can you imagine bringing a player to visit the facility with their parents and showing them the cheap bleacher seats, like "hey you have to sit on these cold a$$ metal bleachers in March and April in Missouri"? At least soccer has concession stand with hot drinks and easily accessible bathrooms. Baseball you have to walk to the outfield or use the porta johns....

The total lack of investment in baseball is a weird one. It isn't just a May thing either since it has been going on for decades. I don't think it will ever be a revenue producing program, but I would make the argument that a solid baseball program is your most or second most likely program to produce a future high level donor. The odds of a SLU baseball player making the majors is similar or better than a SLU basketball player making the NBA. 

billiken_roy likes this

20 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The total lack of investment in baseball is a weird one. It isn't just a May thing either since it has been going on for decades. I don't think it will ever be a revenue producing program, but I would make the argument that a solid baseball program is your most or second most likely program to produce a future high level donor. The odds of a SLU baseball player making the majors is similar or better than a SLU basketball player making the NBA. 

Especially since we're such a baseball city, this makes sense. Wouldn't it be cool to have a Jordan Goodwin-esque story for a SLU player to go into the Cardinals system? The investment should be there.

28 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Especially since we're such a baseball city, this makes sense. Wouldn't it be cool to have a Jordan Goodwin-esque story for a SLU player to go into the Cardinals system? The investment should be there.

IMO, this actually works against us. Much like I'm of the opinion that an NBA team would also work against us. People care so much about the Cardinals, they don't have room to care about another team. Also, this city is way more of a "Cardinal's city" than it is a "Baseball City"

Nice haul of A10 awards for softball today.

Coach of the Year - Connoyer

First Team - Kowalik, Mallo, Wendling

Second Team - Sullivan, Rhine, Kaniecki

Rookie Team - Mallo, Rhine, Marietta

Academic Team - Kowalik, Wendling

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Fair question.

Call Ranken up down the road. Have their carpentry class build a press box.   Problem solved.

billiken_roy likes this

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Nice haul of A10 awards for softball today.

Coach of the Year - Connoyer

First Team - Kowalik, Mallo, Wendling

Second Team - Sullivan, Rhine, Kaniecki

Rookie Team - Mallo, Rhine, Marietta

Academic Team - Kowalik, Wendling

Huge.  Underlines the success this athletic year of the entire department!  I'm partial to the Academic Team as being the creme e la creme.

36 minutes ago, Slowry said:

Call Ranken up down the road. Have their carpentry class build a press box.   Problem solved.

Softball has been using a tent with a folding table and baseball a cramped portable unit, they deserve better a professionally built structure. Don't give May any ideas on doing something cheap.

48 minutes ago, Slowry said:

i would bet with st louis being one of the worst union cities in america the above fantastic idea would get blown up by the wonderful unions.  

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i would bet with st louis being one of the worst union cities in america the above fantastic idea would get blown up by the wonderful unions.  

Private university can tell the unions to go pound sand.   Public not so much.  But yes I’m sure there would be a picket.  Lol

48 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Softball has been using a tent with a folding table and baseball a cramped portable unit, they deserve better a professionally built structure. Don't give May any ideas on doing something cheap.

Something that could be cheaper doesn’t mean it would be bad.  Would still have to pass all codes and standards.  Could be great for both parties.  

13 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I am the opposite. Homers > GPA. Field Goal Percentage > GPA. 

First question on university application:  can you dunk?

we will go from there with the less important stuff: GPA, ACT, lack of criminal record, etc. 

JMM28 likes this

18 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I am the opposite. Homers > GPA. Field Goal Percentage > GPA. 

We need a university the baseball team can be proud of.

#BuildAPressbox