Welcome Stef van Bussel

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Also, the company name is Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV.  InterBrew, AmBev, and InBev were all names of the company before they merged/bought AB.

That’s a word salad name. No wonder they were able to come up with that amazing idea to boost Bud Light sales. Time to bring back Spuds McKenzie!  

brianstl likes this

Hey brianstl, have you ever listened to quarterly report given by a Brazilian CEO? I used to listen to the KHC quarterly reports (owned by 3G) and they were very interesting. I think most of the analysts would leave the meeting quite confused as to  what it was they had heard during the presentations.

brianstl likes this

17 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hey brianstl, have you ever listened to quarterly report given by a Brazilian CEO? I used to listen to the KHC quarterly reports (owned by 3G) and they were very interesting. I think most of the analysts would leave the meeting quite confused as to  what it was they had heard during the presentations.

Just some of the AB InBev ones.  They definitely have a different style.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article by Stu on Stef van Bussel's recruitment and his change of heart about D1 hoops.  He certainly has confidence in his ability to contribute at SLU, but he does say it may take time to adjust.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/stef-van-bussel-a-6-foot-10-dutch-basketball-player-picked-slu-in-whirlwind-recruitment/article_87858f66-f27a-11ed-934c-0f20c8274166.html

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting article by Stu on Stef van Bussel's recruitment and his change of heart about D1 hoops.  He certainly has confidence in his ability to contribute at SLU, but he does say it may take time to adjust.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/stef-van-bussel-a-6-foot-10-dutch-basketball-player-picked-slu-in-whirlwind-recruitment/article_87858f66-f27a-11ed-934c-0f20c8274166.html

Ugh, wish I could read it but I don't have an extra dollar

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ugh, wish I could read it but I don't have an extra dollar

Was free for me after turning off ad-blocker - 

Recollections of a game against California-Berkeley last August are pretty fuzzy for Stef van Bussel, a native of the Netherlands who was playing for a team in Germany that day.

Nothing in particular about the game seemed significant until nine months later, when SLU men’s basketball assistant coach Chris Harriman called.

The two had not met, but Harriman had mental notes on van Bussel from that trip when he was on the coaching staff at Cal. Now at St. Louis University, Harriman had an offer for the 6-foot-10 center.

“To be honest, I’d never heard of Chris. I never saw him,” van Bussel said. “I’d had many people who had asked me to go (to college), but I wasn’t interested in Division I at the time. I told them I’d stay in Europe. Then a friend left and told me about it and I changed my mind.”

Four days after hearing from SLU for the first time, on April 29, van Bussel committed and quickly signed the paperwork that will have him playing for the Billikens in 2023-24.

It was a whirlwind romance that produced an inside player SLU needs as coach Travis Ford rebuilds the roster, which is down to five returning players.

Van Bussel, who will be 19 in June, has been out of school for the last year and playing for a team in Germany after leaving his small hometown of Ommel when he was 16.

After the first conversation, he did a Zoom meeting with his family and the SLU staff. He watched games from last season and researched the university online. He was offered a chance to visit but didn’t think it was necessary.

“I talked to Chris a lot, every day,” he said. “They offered me to visit but I like the coaches already. I was so sure about it and they were sure about me.”

Harriman plans to go to the Netherlands soon to see van Bussel and his family.

Van Bussel grew up in Ommel, which has a population of about 1,000. He had little in the way of competition so would get up at 5 a.m. to reach the Basketball Academy Limburg in Weert by 7:30.

The trip involved a 30-minute bike ride to a train station, an hour on the train and then a short bike ride to the academy. He would practice, go to classes, practice, and then go home. His days typically ended at 9 p.m. or later.

He eventually moved to be closer to the club. That led to his opportunity to play in Germany and the game against Cal. It is the only measuring stick of his ability to compete against DI competition.

“I felt like I was pretty able to compete,” he said. “But obviously, St. Louis, I think, is a better basketball level than Cal was. I’m sure with the right equipment, practice facility and coaching staff I can be more than able to compete at the DI level. It might take a few months to adjust, but I’m a big guy and strong, so I think I’ll be fine.”

The change of heart regarding playing college basketball in the U.S. culminated with van Bussel undertaking a cram session on SLU.

It probably didn’t hurt that the Billikens were looking for big men after losing all three of their players in the middle from the 2022-23 team. They have restocked with the additions of van Bussel, 7-foot-1 Bruce Zhang and 6-foot-9 Brad Ezewiro, a transfer from Georgetown who committed over the weekend.

All van Bussel needed was his computer to find what he needed.

“I saw the school, and I saw games that St. Louis played and felt the system really fit me,” van Bussel said. “I also spoke to the head coach, and he was really excited about me. I was convinced quickly. It felt really good, and there was no pressure on me to sign, but I was so convinced about this choice.”

Van Bussel has been out of school for the last year, focusing on basketball. His team in Germany recently lost in the playoffs, and he returned to the Netherlands

He’s unsure of the timeline for arriving in St. Louis but anticipates being on campus in June when players return for workouts. At that point, he’ll start to find out how he matches up with other big men.

“I’m strong, athletic and tough above the rim,” he said. “I’m a physical player and have touch above the rim. I can post up and make the right pass or go to the rim one-on-one. General big-man things.”

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

Was free for me after turning off ad-blocker - 

Recollections of a game against California-Berkeley last August are pretty fuzzy for Stef van Bussel, a native of the Netherlands who was playing for a team in Germany that day.

Nothing in particular about the game seemed significant until nine months later, when SLU men’s basketball assistant coach Chris Harriman called.

The two had not met, but Harriman had mental notes on van Bussel from that trip when he was on the coaching staff at Cal. Now at St. Louis University, Harriman had an offer for the 6-foot-10 center.

“To be honest, I’d never heard of Chris. I never saw him,” van Bussel said. “I’d had many people who had asked me to go (to college), but I wasn’t interested in Division I at the time. I told them I’d stay in Europe. Then a friend left and told me about it and I changed my mind.”

Four days after hearing from SLU for the first time, on April 29, van Bussel committed and quickly signed the paperwork that will have him playing for the Billikens in 2023-24.

It was a whirlwind romance that produced an inside player SLU needs as coach Travis Ford rebuilds the roster, which is down to five returning players.

Van Bussel, who will be 19 in June, has been out of school for the last year and playing for a team in Germany after leaving his small hometown of Ommel when he was 16.

After the first conversation, he did a Zoom meeting with his family and the SLU staff. He watched games from last season and researched the university online. He was offered a chance to visit but didn’t think it was necessary.

“I talked to Chris a lot, every day,” he said. “They offered me to visit but I like the coaches already. I was so sure about it and they were sure about me.”

Harriman plans to go to the Netherlands soon to see van Bussel and his family.

Van Bussel grew up in Ommel, which has a population of about 1,000. He had little in the way of competition so would get up at 5 a.m. to reach the Basketball Academy Limburg in Weert by 7:30.

The trip involved a 30-minute bike ride to a train station, an hour on the train and then a short bike ride to the academy. He would practice, go to classes, practice, and then go home. His days typically ended at 9 p.m. or later.

He eventually moved to be closer to the club. That led to his opportunity to play in Germany and the game against Cal. It is the only measuring stick of his ability to compete against DI competition.

“I felt like I was pretty able to compete,” he said. “But obviously, St. Louis, I think, is a better basketball level than Cal was. I’m sure with the right equipment, practice facility and coaching staff I can be more than able to compete at the DI level. It might take a few months to adjust, but I’m a big guy and strong, so I think I’ll be fine.”

The change of heart regarding playing college basketball in the U.S. culminated with van Bussel undertaking a cram session on SLU.

It probably didn’t hurt that the Billikens were looking for big men after losing all three of their players in the middle from the 2022-23 team. They have restocked with the additions of van Bussel, 7-foot-1 Bruce Zhang and 6-foot-9 Brad Ezewiro, a transfer from Georgetown who committed over the weekend.

All van Bussel needed was his computer to find what he needed.

“I saw the school, and I saw games that St. Louis played and felt the system really fit me,” van Bussel said. “I also spoke to the head coach, and he was really excited about me. I was convinced quickly. It felt really good, and there was no pressure on me to sign, but I was so convinced about this choice.”

Van Bussel has been out of school for the last year, focusing on basketball. His team in Germany recently lost in the playoffs, and he returned to the Netherlands

He’s unsure of the timeline for arriving in St. Louis but anticipates being on campus in June when players return for workouts. At that point, he’ll start to find out how he matches up with other big men.

“I’m strong, athletic and tough above the rim,” he said. “I’m a physical player and have touch above the rim. I can post up and make the right pass or go to the rim one-on-one. General big-man things.”

To me, there are two primary items of interest.  First is that he has been out of school and had a 'change of heart' about playing in the US.  My thought:  will he rethink his change of heart and leave after a year or two?  He will have to go to classes, etc.  After a year out of school, that alone will be an adjustment.  Time will tell and I am not going to worry about it today.

And I do like his comment: "I’m strong, athletic and tough above the rim,” he said. “I’m a physical player and have touch above the rim. I can post up and make the right pass or go to the rim one-on-one. General big-man things.”  Again time will tell how this translates in D1 ball, but it sounds good.  We have no idea how the level of competition he was facing will measure up to what he will see here. 

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

"General big-man things.” 

I assume there is a translation / ESL quirk going on here, but this quote is both hilarious and awesome.  Perhaps we can give Stef the nickname "General Big Man".  I really like the idea of a big guy who understands he's big and is fine doing dirty work under the basket.

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I assume there is a translation / ESL quirk going on here, but this quote is both hilarious and awesome.  Perhaps we can give Stef the nickname "General Big Man".  I really like the idea of a big guy who understands he's big and is fine doing dirty work under the basket.

Stef the Stuffer 🤔😃🍺

28 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Just hope one of the frosh centers are more ready for college ball than our last 2 or 3 young frosh bigs.

Cisse had some quality offers, all the rest including these 2 did not. I’ll be surprised if any of these two are. 

12 hours ago, wgstl said:

Cisse had some quality offers, all the rest including these 2 did not. I’ll be surprised if any of these two are. 

Zhang was pretty new to the US, suspect that had something to do with lack of offers. Bradley looked at him. Had some good offensive numbers on a National prep school team, but he looks skinny and could therefore get bamboozled by beasts down under on D. 

There aren't a lot of 'beasts down low' across the A10.  Maybe Venning at Bonaventure is the best.  Holmes, if he comes back, at Dayton.  Levesque at Umass.  Novitskyi at Fordham.  Mennenga at Davidson.  The rest are unknowns at this point.  

13 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Zhang was pretty new to the US, suspect that had something to do with lack of offers. Bradley looked at him. Had some good offensive numbers on a National prep school team, but he looks skinny and could therefore get bamboozled by beasts down under on D. 

Luckily when you're 7'1" you can get away with it sometimes