Welcome Stef van Bussel

31 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Tulsa recruit is rock solid….Encouraged by the Dutchman’s weight, college-ready body…whether he can finish like he does in the video at the D1 level remains to be seen….between this dude and Zhang, intriguing to see how they fare.

Big weakness last season was bigs missing a ton of bunnies, hopefully Dutch can slam them home.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Tulsa recruit is rock solid….Encouraged by the Dutchman’s weight, college-ready body…whether he can finish like he does in the video at the D1 level remains to be seen….between this dude and Zhang, intriguing to see how they fare.

van Bussel and Zhang should be a good matchup in practice.  Hopefully they can get each other ready for D 1

This is amazing.  van Bussel didn't even come in for a visit.  I assume he already knew Harriman, but that's not what Stu infers.

How quickly did SLU’s recruitment of Stef van Bussel happen? The 6-10 player from The Netherlands said he first spoke to SLU asst. coach Chris Harriman on Saturday, followed with a Zoom with the staff and committed Wednesday, declining to visit first.

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is amazing.  van Bussel didn't even come in for a visit.  I assume he already knew Harriman, but that's not what Stu infers.

How quickly did SLU’s recruitment of Stef van Bussel happen? The 6-10 player from The Netherlands said he first spoke to SLU asst. coach Chris Harriman on Saturday, followed with a Zoom with the staff and committed Wednesday, declining to visit first.

Bayer must have sealed the deal

8 hours ago, laker119 said:

And we need bigs that just don’t turn it over as much as Okoro/Forrester last year.  

Agreed, but a big part of that is not giving it to your bigs under pressure at the top of the 3pt arc… like we did at least 50% of the time for some unknown reason.  

kmbilliken likes this

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Does he have any friends over there that would like to join him??  Don’t need anything crazy, if he’s just got the next Tony Parker or Luka over there we’d take them. 

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Does that mean Harriman is that good, or that we are that desperate?

29 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Just a guess but he probably has a connection there that he trusts. That connection might say "Hey I have a guy who wants to come to the US, he is a ___ level player" and sends him some video on him. He sees it, says sure lets talk to him. They walk Stef around campus/facilities on facetime or whatever. He says sure I'll come play. Stef gets some advice that he could reasonably expect a certain dollar amount in NIL funds. That connection says "hey I am going to need 20% of that for getting you set up there" and Stef comes over here in June or whenever summer sessions start. 

Sometimes the foreign guys visit sometimes, but a lot of them just commit sight unseen. Like Brian Conklin. 

28 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

It means they have a European business to pay him in Europe for his NIL when he is on campus to avoid the visa issues.

16 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Just a guess but he probably has a connection there that he trusts. That connection might say "Hey I have a guy who wants to come to the US, he is a ___ level player" and sends him some video on him. He sees it, says sure lets talk to him. They walk Stef around campus/facilities on facetime or whatever. He says sure I'll come play. Stef gets some advice that he could reasonably expect a certain dollar amount in NIL funds. That connection says "hey I am going to need 20% of that for getting you set up there" and Stef comes over here in June or whenever summer sessions start. 

Sometimes the foreign guys visit sometimes, but a lot of them just commit sight unseen. Like Brian Conklin. 

He can’t get NIL 

Marlow likes this

45 minutes ago, wgstl said:

He can’t get NIL 

There was a list  of foreign players last season with NIL money. They can sign contracts for promotional deals outside the US. Tshiebwe was probably the most notable. He signed in the Bahamas.  UMass had a player, Gapre from NZ,  who went home over a long weekend to sign a deal. 

https://www.si.com/college/2022/08/10/oscar-tshiebwe-bahamas-nil-deals

46 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Conlin was from the West Coast, Eugene, Oregon ..... not foreign.

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

There was a list  of foreign players last season with NIL money. They can sign contracts for promotional deals outside the US. Tshiebwe was probably the most notable. He signed in the Bahamas.  UMass had a player from NZ I believe who went home over a long weekend to sign a deal. 

https://www.si.com/college/2022/08/10/oscar-tshiebwe-bahamas-nil-deals

True. I guess I should have mentioned NIL stateside, which is most of it 

7 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Conlin was from the West Coast, Eugene, Oregon ..... not foreign.

Yes I worded that poorly. My point was that Conklin was another guy that committed without ever visiting. 

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

True. I guess I should have mentioned NIL stateside, which is most of it 

It’s work around-able. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Also the commitment Stef would have to give to SLU is not what it used to be. 

If he does not like playing at SLU, after the end year his name will be in the portal. No big loss on his part.

16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I believe the company is called Inbev and Am Inbev in the US.  I thought the owner was Brazilian but moved his headquarters to NY.

As far as I know the HQ may be in NY but the family lives in Brazil. There was a wedding involving a family member of one of their top guys a couple of years ago. It took place in Brazil. I believe some of the top guys at AB either attended or wanted to attend. 3G Capital, a private company, owns or has a controlling share in a large number of beer brands (AB, SABMiller, Foster) around the world as well as in Kraft Heinz. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

As far as I know the HQ may be in NY but the family lives in Brazil. There was a wedding involving a family member of one of their top guys a couple of years ago. It took place in Brazil. I believe some of the top guys at AB either attended or wanted to attend. 3G Capital, a private company, owns or has a controlling share in a large number of beer brands (AB, SABMiller, Foster) around the world as well as in Kraft Heinz. 

Well you could be right but having a wedding in the country where all your friends and relatives are doesn't mean that you also don't leave some place else.

The Brazilians, 3G, are the second largest group of shareholders after 3 Belgian families that vote as a block.  Despite the Belgians owning more of the company, 3G has pretty much been free to operate the company as they see fit. A Brazilian has always been CEO of the merged companies.  Technically it is headquartered Leuven, Belgium, but they have a “functional management office” in NYC that the CEO and the other top C suite executives operate out of.