Welcome Stef van Bussel

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I want big bodies that can win the a10 though lol. Didn't see much in the video. So our bigs as of now are Bruce, cisse, and stef....

I was just really holding out for a splash big who could help us win now. 

Cisse is in portal, right?

5 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I want big bodies that can win the a10 though lol. Didn't see much in the video. So our bigs as of now are Bruce, cisse, and stef....

I was just really holding out for a splash big who could help us win now. 

Cisse transferred. And beggars can’t be choosers (except apparently the ones that would post up outside Reinert)

Linsen was really good until hurt and Ford settled in with Okoro must have known he couldn’t keep Linsen another year. I would have preferred two Linsens over him and OKoro as that year Okoro did not look fully recovered either. Definiely was not a bust.

13 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

Linsen was really good until hurt and Ford settled in with Okoro must have known he couldn’t keep Linsen another year. I would have preferred two Linsens over him and OKoro as that year Okoro did not look fully recovered either. Definiely was not a bust.

Since Linsen left we have had no big rebounding and enforcing the land- dissenters will point to Okoro double doubles but I think Okoro disappeared as often as he starred in games for us.

I like that he is 2.08 meters! Definitely a positive.

I don’t like that he only put up 4 and 6. 

I am assuming he is expected to be a contributor for years 3 and 4? 
Very rare for a big to contribute right away even more rare for a foreign big to contribute immediately.

Ill trust the staff and expect him to eventually be a contributor but we are still in a world of hurt in the front court this year. 

CenHudDude likes this

So, I count 3 scholarships to give.  Right?  The next three need to be experienced ready to contribute players ..... a center, a power forward or big wing, a point guard.  If Medley is ready for big minutes I wouldn't mind another big forward.

Thames, Hughes, Parker, Hargrove, Rivera, Jimerson + Medley, Zhang, Nolan & Van Bussel

16 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I'm pretty meh about this. But guess we'll see. 

Maybe he will be the next Rik Smits.

I actually saw Rik play in the 80s at Marist. He was kind of a bean pole but he had great career with the Pacers.

17 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1653847324844490755?s=20

Goodman hates Ford, if he's pumping up van Bussel....

The info / noise (or lack there of) on international recruits compared to most US players is pretty jarring.  Searching "Stef van Bussel" on twitter gives you exactly one result from 8/5/22 prior to the @Midtown Madness tweet about van Bussel annoucing on Instagram.  Really wild for a guy who a reasonably well known media guy like Goodman is saying sources say is "one of the best available bigs in Europe".

That being said, mystery box players are more exciting from a fan perspective than a guy who we know more about / what to expect.

Credit here goes to SLU assistant Chris Harriman. As an assistant last year at Cal, the Bears played a summer tour game at Bayer Giants Leverkusen. Got blown out 85-59. Van Bussel played for Bayer Giants Leverkusen in 22-23. Harriman’s international connections are outstanding.

Don't know Bruce Davis, but interesting that Harriman is paying dividends already.

On 5/3/2023 at 6:52 PM, dlarry said:

I like that he is 2.08 meters! Definitely a positive.

I don’t like that he only put up 4 and 6. 

I am assuming he is expected to be a contributor for years 3 and 4? 
Very rare for a big to contribute right away even more rare for a foreign big to contribute immediately.

Ill trust the staff and expect him to eventually be a contributor but we are still in a world of hurt in the front court this year. 

What part of him is 2.08 meters again?

33 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

We need rebounding and lane defense if Stef scores with dunks that is a plus

Tulsa recruit is rock solid….Encouraged by the Dutchman’s weight, college-ready body…whether he can finish like he does in the video at the D1 level remains to be seen….between this dude and Zhang, intriguing to see how they fare.