Firaol Ahmed - Moii Coffee

2 hours ago, Band Legend said:

When I saw 18 replies to this thread I thought someone had tried the coffee and gave a review- no such luck.  Lots of helpings of pettiness,  though.

Some people would consider plagiarism, and having ethics, anything but trivial and unimportant, (definition of pettiness) Some others wouldn’t. Examples of those that wouldn’t include:

1) Consumers only. People who consume information as opposed to producing it. They just want to consume at any and all costs and not be bothered.

2) Fellas. These are people who are more concerned about being part of a social group, being one of the fellas at any cost including integrity. 

3) These are people who can only relate to things when it happens to them personally. We see this frequently in a wide variety of topics.

As far as the topic changing from coffee to plagiarism, that was the doing of the board moderator. I just so happened to have replied with a real time example. I have publicly and privately supported Firaol, encourage others to do so, and I wish him and his business well. 

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

Maybe they will find some common ground(s) eventually…  :) 

I appreciate the levity. Fun dad jokes aside, it isn’t a common grounds thing. Plagiarism and ethics aren’t meeting in the middle types of things. Just be thankful I’m not a regular listener to their podcast. Steve made a plagiarism comment, so I matter of factly gave a current example. Nothing more nothing less. 

Good luck to Firaol. 

28 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

So how is the coffee then? 

Do you drink coffee? I am generally a medium dark roast, Columbian coffee type of coffee drinker. Everyone has his or her own personal preferences

Firaol makes and sells various types of regional Ethiopian coffee. Very roughly speaking some of it has fruity and flowery components, citrus, berry, wine taste.

I’m happy to support his story, journey, and his business. 

20 hours ago, courtside said:

Well, since you brought up plagiarism, let’s take a look at the final 3 minutes of this past week’s season 3 episode 37 of Midtown Madness Podcast.

Gotta love the offseason...

Yes. I brought up "plagiarism."  Largely in jest and humor.  I should have known better than to give you an opportunity to be...you.

I am not going to wade into whether @Midtown Madness podcast "plagiarized" or not.  I have not listened to those episodes, and I am not going to in order to settle an internet dispute. 

What I will say - as I have said before - is the @Midtown Madness podcast with @billikenfan05 and @Pistol bring some of the best content to the SLU internet community.  And with that in mind, I am not inclined to do anything to make their jobs harder and will do what I can to help get their podcast out there. And more frankly, as I have said before...I play favorites.  For instance, @Pistol brings some of the best recruiting information and content to the board - and he has a good head on his shoulders, so I will be more flexible with him (but I really don't need to be).  Hell, many people complained to me about @jimbofive, but I found him funny - so I let him do his schtick.  I have not been shy about saying this, and I don't feel too guilty about it because this is a volunteer job.

You do bring so much information about soccer that I get repeatedly asked: "Who is this guy?," which generally is a positive for the board.  However, many others have told me they skip reading soccer threads because of you.  Now, I have bent to you sometimes, for example the stupid soccer thread controversy last year.  But if you continue to keep cluttering up the board with tirades that others (including myself) have made clear they do not give a shit about, I may just start hiding those posts.

I hate even making this post, as I am probably just adding fuel to the fire.  But long story short, my recommendation is to stop trying to stir the pot with @Midtown Madness publicly on the board.  Because at least right now, you won't get anywhere with me with it.  And you likely are hurting the soccer program itself, because it turns so many readers off that they will not read what you can more valuably contribute to the board.

4 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Sorry if I missed it, but can you buy the coffee in stores or is it online only?  I definitely want to support the kid.

3 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Box, it looks like you can pick up a bag at a place called Running Niche in STL (near Tower Grove & Vandeventer) Other than that, it’s a digital storefront. Excited to see where this young man goes with a great product! 

Correct, only available online and at Running Niche for now. Firaol works there part-time, as well, because of course he does. The store is also right by the place where he does his roasting.

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Correct, only available online and at Running Niche for now. Firaol works there part-time, as well, because of course he does. The store is also right by the place where he does his roasting.

Guy has done more in college this year than I did in my college career, all five and a half years of it.....

20 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I can say that I myself, Warren, attended all the SLU women’s soccer exhibition games this spring and I myself posted on what I saw in my own words. I am not affiliated with Zac or Pete, never met them, but I do listen to their podcast and enjoy it. I follow the SLU women’s soccer team and SLU women’s basketball teams because I enjoy watching them play. The women’s soccer program at SLU in my opinion is excellent, if you look at where they were when Coach Shields took over and where they are now it is a great story. They are an extremely well-coached team, with great players, and I feel they are worthy of my support, so I go watch them play every chance I can and enjoy the game. I then post my observations of the game on here of what I saw here in hopes other people will read them and also encourage them to support the team, and hopefully go to the games themselves because I feel that the SLU women’s team is worthy of all the support I or anyone else can give them. @SluSignGuy is kind enough to provide this place for all fans of all SLU sports teams to post what they will, and I appreciate his efforts tremendously, as I feel it adds a lot to the experience of following the Billikens. As for my posts, they are just what I saw, I don’t claim to be infallible, or an expert in soccer at all, just a fan here trying to be a fan.  Please tell me when I’m wrong, I try my best for accuracy.  I get no money from anything I post here, I am not a journalist or blogger or anything like that, I just hope people like it and that it encourages discussion and helps promote interest in the program.  I don’t know the legal issues of who’s intellectual property my posts on here become after I post them,  but speaking only for myself if someone else reads them, enjoys them (or hates them) and wants to talk about it, then I personally am happy to let them do that about what I post.  If they give credit to me that’s fine, if they don’t I don’t really care as it doesn’t hurt me in any way. However, I do not own this site, @SluSignGuy does, and I am happy to defer to him in those issues of what is proper to quote what people post on here when they use it on another media.  I’m just a nerdy Lord of the Rings fan (by the way, this is the first time I’ve ever gotten Lord Elrond as a logon ID, so another shout-out to @SluSignGuy for the fact no one else claimed it). 

LE, I appreciate your posts about soccer very much.  I have Courtside blocked and love having someone who attends the games and practices provide information that doesn't come with the possibility of a lawsuit if shared by someone else.  Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Guy has done more in college this year than I did in my college career, all five and a half years of it.....

It's certainly not ego boosting to look back at my complete lack of direction and ambition, and then compare it to a guy who gets up at 4 am, runs his own company, goes to college full time, participates in a sport that spans the entire school year, and works a part time job. And that's before even considering a social life, his family, etc. Oh, and he does this in a country he's spent less than half his life in, and in a language that was not his first.

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's certainly not ego boosting to look back at my complete lack of direction and ambition, and then compare it to a guy who gets up at 4 am, runs his own company, goes to college full time, participates in a sport that spans the entire school year, and works a part time job. And that's before even considering a social life, his family, etc. Oh, and he does this in a country he's spent less than half his life in, and in a language that was not his first.

Look back? I'm still looking current.

4 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Gotta love the offseason...

Yes. I brought up "plagiarism."  Largely in jest and humor.  I should have known better than to give you an opportunity to be...you.

I am not going to wade into whether @Midtown Madness podcast "plagiarized" or not.  I have not listened to those episodes, and I am not going to in order to settle an internet dispute. 

What I will say - as I have said before - is the @Midtown Madness podcast with @billikenfan05 and @Pistol bring some of the best content to the SLU internet community.  And with that in mind, I am not inclined to do anything to make their jobs harder and will do what I can to help get their podcast out there. And more frankly, as I have said before...I play favorites.  For instance, @Pistol brings some of the best recruiting information and content to the board - and he has a good head on his shoulders, so I will be more flexible with him (but I really don't need to be).  Hell, many people complained to me about @jimbofive, but I found him funny - so I let him do his schtick.  I have not been shy about saying this, and I don't feel too guilty about it because this is a volunteer job.

You do bring so much information about soccer that I get repeatedly asked: "Who is this guy?," which generally is a positive for the board.  However, many others have told me they skip reading soccer threads because of you.  Now, I have bent to you sometimes, for example the stupid soccer thread controversy last year.  But if you continue to keep cluttering up the board with tirades that others (including myself) have made clear they do not give a about, I may just start hiding those posts.

I hate even making this post, as I am probably just adding fuel to the fire.  But long story short, my recommendation is to stop trying to stir the pot with @Midtown Madness publicly on the board.  Because at least right now, you won't get anywhere with me with it.  And you likely are hurting the soccer program itself, because it turns so many readers off that they will not read what you can more valuably contribute to the board.

I'm a positive solution person Steve. So, I will make you an offer: I will do my best to treat you and all others here with the same equal respect that I would equally seek from from you and all others. What do you say Steve? Deal?

Please allow me to respectfully respond to your post as there is an awful lot to it. Thanks.

As for a response to your above post:

First, there seems to be some confusion. No one is on a tirade. This couldn't be more calm and matter of fact. Maybe don't read tone that isn't there. And with regards to cluttering the board, my posts are in respone to yours. I'm pretty sure I post on topic in threads as much as many people here. Minus the coffee thread which I still at least mentioned.

I didn't need a discussion with you, nor did I request one. I didn't need or want or ask you to take action of any kind this week. I did think it was okay for me to provide a timely plagiarism example in response to your post about plagiarsm. That seems fair.

You made yourself clear about the topic and its unimportance to you long ago. I didn't forget, but that doesn't mean I hold the same opinion as you about it. It's still okay to have different opinions about the importance of plagiarism and the like, yes?

With regards to stirring the pot, respectfully, I think you have it backwards Steve. I think the people plagiarizing stir the pot first by doing just that. Then you continued to stir the pot in this thread by trying to make a plagiarism joke. It isn't the first time either to be fair. Holding people accountable for it is not stirring the pot in my opinion. I am not the one who brings it up periodically. But I don't mind that it gets brought up periodically here by some others, because if it wasn't true it would have been laughed away in minutes years ago. (By the way fyi, copying and pasting someone else's work without credit is also plagiarizing.)

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you are the janitor at the company or if you are the President of the company. Everyone is held to the same standards, and everyone is worthy of the same equal level of respect. That seems simple enough.

With regards to the actual example, of course you and a few others don't want to discuss the specifics in this specific example. People often ask for specific examples in real time, but when taken up on the offer, then it's either crickets, who cares, levity, avoidance, etc... Each person can pick out his or her category in my above post.

You mentioned volunteering. To me plagiarizing is even worse when it is done to people who are kindly volunteering their time and information to benefit others. It isn't any different if a student plagiarized in one of your classes. It's the exact same thing if an Elections class political science student wrote a paper, and another student stole it and turned it in as their own. Ethics and decency aren't situational, at least not to me. There also isn't a hierarchy to their value. At least, not to me. I believe this is where we differ most. 

It's also interesting that you have these conversations with other posters. That would have been easy to do with me as well. But not once since I have been here all of these years have you ever reached out to me privately for a conversation or discussion about any topic, good, bad, indifferent. And not once have you ever replied in the very infrequent times I have ever reached out to you in all these years. Otherwise we could have also more productively done that instead.

It isn't in any way hurting the soccer programs, or any of the other programs I discuss here when plagiarism is revealed. Gotta say I found that comment odd. Unsurprisingly many of these people connected with these programs also aren't fans of plagiarism and the like. At least that's what they tell me privately. It's also what other readers of the board tell me privately too. (Much of my time here is spent in private messages.) I don't post about plagiarism in the sports teams threads. With the exception of the recent coffee thread, I post mostly on topic in any thread. But again in that example, I replied to your post.

It's your board Steve. You get to do whatever you want with it. I'm happy to work with you. I am not going to compromise my values just because it's your site. But I'm willing to work with you for a solution if something is bothering you. I'm pretty comfortable with how I post, and with how I treat others here, both on the public board, and privately. Most of it is volunteering my work and info here for others to enjoy. It's like how the old saying goes, treat all others the same, and treat all others how you wish to be treated. That seems to work for me.

Maybe come to a practice, or a training, or a game, or on the road recruiting, or hang with the players, coaches, staffs some time, in a variety of Women's and Men's sports. I only get the chance to share a small, tiny part of it all. So many fun and exciting things are going on out there. There is no offseason. There are SLU sports in every season. I'm here for all of the SLU Women and Men's sports.

So what do you say Steve, I will treat you and all others here with the same equal respect that I would seek for myself. Deal? Seems fair.

I'm happy to move on with coffee talk in this thread, and sports talk in sports threads. 

2 hours ago, courtside said:

I'm a positive solution person Steve. So, I will make you an offer: I will do my best to treat you and all others here with the same equal respect that I would equally seek from from you and all others. What do you say Steve? Deal?

Please allow me to respectfully respond to your post as there is an awful lot to it. Thanks.

First, there seems to be some confusion. No one is on a tirade. This couldn't be more calm and matter of fact. Maybe don't read tone that isn't there. And with regards to cluttering the board, my posts are in respone to yours. I'm pretty sure I post on topic in threads as much as many people here. Minus the coffee thread which I still at least mentioned.

I didn't need a discussion with you, nor did I request one. I didn't need or want or ask you to take action of any kind this week. I did think it was okay for me to provide a timely plagiarism example in response to your post about plagiarsm. That seems fair.

You made yourself clear about the topic and its unimportance to you long ago. I didn't forget, but that doesn't mean I hold the same opinion as you about it. It's still okay to have different opinions about the importance of plagiarism and the like, yes?

With regards to stirring the pot, respectfully, I think you have it backwards Steve. I think the people plagiarizing stir the pot first by doing just that. Then you continued to stir the pot in this thread by trying to make a plagiarism joke. It isn't the first time either to be fair. Holding people accountable for it is not stirring the pot in my opinion. I am not the one who brings it up periodically. But I don't mind that it gets brought up periodically here by some others, because if it wasn't true it would have been laughed away in minutes years ago. (By the way fyi, copying and pasting someone else's work without credit is also plagiarizing.)

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you are the janitor at the company or if you are the President of the company. Everyone is held to the same standards, and everyone is worthy of the same equal level of respect. That seems simple enough.

With regards to the actual example, of course you and a few others don't want to discuss the specifics in this specific example. People often ask for specific examples in real time, but when taken up on the offer, then it's either crickets, who cares, levity, avoidance, etc... Each person can pick out his or her category in my above post.

You mentioned volunteering. To me plagiarizing is even worse when it is done to people who are kindly volunteering their time and information to benefit others. It isn't any different if a student plagiarized in one of your classes. It's the exact same thing if an Elections class political science student wrote a paper, and another student stole it and turned it in as their own. Ethics and decency aren't situational, at least not to me. There also isn't a hierarchy to their value. At least, not to me. I believe this is where we differ most. 

It's also interesting that you have these conversations with other posters. That would have been easy to do with me as well. But not once since I have been here all of these years have you ever reached out to me privately for a conversation or discussion about any topic, good, bad, indifferent. And not once have you ever replied in the very infrequent times I have ever reached out to you in all these years. Otherwise we could have also more productively done that instead.

It isn't in any way hurting the soccer programs, or any of the other programs I discuss here when plagiarism is revealed. Gotta say I found that comment odd. Unsurprisingly many of these people connected with these programs also aren't fans of plagiarism and the like. At least that's what they tell me privately. It's also what other readers of the board tell me privately too. (Much of my time here is spent in private messages.) I don't post about plagiarism in the sports teams threads. With the exception of the recent coffee thread, I post mostly on topic in any thread. But again in that example, I replied to your post.

It's your board Steve. You get to do whatever you want with it. I'm happy to work with you. I am not going to compromise my values just because it's your site. But I'm willing to work with you for a solution if something is bothering you. I'm pretty comfortable with how I post, and with how I treat others here, both on the public board, and privately. Most of it is volunteering my work and info here for others to enjoy. It's like how the old saying goes, treat all others the same, and treat all others how you wish to be treated. That seems to work for me.

Maybe come to a practice, or a training, or a game, or on the road recruiting, or hang with the players, coaches, staffs some time, in a variety of Women's and Men's sports. I only get the chance to share a small, tiny part of it all. So many fun and exciting things are going on out there. There is no offseason. There are SLU sports in every season. I'm here for all of the SLU Women and Men's sports.

So what do you say Steve, I will treat you and all others here with the same equal respect that I would seek for myself. Deal? Seems fair.

I'm happy to move on with coffee talk in this thread, and sports talk in sports threads. 

3A1A5A0F-D991-4246-B925-6ADB2BC08D80.webp

Steve off the top rope takes down Courtside.

Then the obligatory 10,000 word response from Courtside where he says absolutely nothing.

This boils down to Courtside's unbridled arrogance.  Only he can possibly watch a game and interpret it one way.  No one else on Earth could possibly watch the exact same game and come away with even a remotely similar account of it.  Courside is an unequivocal soccer expert. The reports that MMP gets whether they are from Zac watching the games in person, Pete online, or made from players who played in the actual game and relayed to MMP.  No possible way they could see the same f***ing game the way that Courtside sees it.  His observation trumps all.

This board has been and always will be a community of sharing information.  

Courtside go write your own blog if you don't want the info you post disseminated in any way.  Only you and your mom would read it.

I'll wait for your response.  Heard MO Rush U12 girls have a practice tonight that you can't miss.  [Edited out by Steve]

3 hours ago, courtside said:

IMG_4094.gif.596c4d0dea565f77035d3b3f352f53aa.gif

17 hours ago, courtside said:

brianstl and billiken_roy like this

• 8 months later...

Yeah so anyway I've been following Moii Coffee on Insta (@moiicoffee), and they've been running a series of videos in which Firaol makes coffee for SLU students while the students talk a little about themselves.  He and the students all seem really bright and engaging.  Made me feel good about our alma mater and the type of kids it's attracting these days.