Firaol Ahmed - Moii Coffee

From the website:

“Moii means "to conquer" in the language of the Oromo people, the largest ethnic group in Ethiopia. The Oromia region, home to the Oromo people, is believed to be the origin of coffee.”

Turns out that Miraol’s family has been in the coffee business for many years. Apparently, he likes the oroma of his coffee! Hope he has great success with this venture.

On 5/3/2023 at 9:40 AM, Pistol said:

I already linked the website in my initial post.

Mods, please ban this user.

He used the direct URL.  You were fancy and made a hyperlink that linked to the URL.  I can only assume that @billikenfan05 was seeking to avoid a plagiarism charge.

7 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

He used the direct URL.  You were fancy and made a hyperlink that linked to the URL.  I can only assume that @billikenfan05 was seeking to avoid a plagiarism charge.

1) Firaol has a great story, and I wish him well with his coffee business.

2) The final 3 minutes of Midtown Madness Podcast Season 3 Episode 37 sure are interesting. 

On 5/5/2023 at 11:52 PM, SluSignGuy said:

Well, since you brought up plagiarism, let’s take a look at the final 3 minutes of this past week’s season 3 episode 37 of Midtown Madness Podcast.

Oxford Languages has a simple definition of plagiarism as “the practice of taking someone else’s work or ideas and passing them off as one’s own.” Seems simple enough. 

In those final 3 minutes, Pete discusses first hand, specifics about 2 Spring Soccer games along with some other program related topics. The challenge of course is that these games were not televised, were not covered by sports media, and were not covered by SLU. Specific information about them wasn’t widely available.

The details and other information Pete specifically referenced, were however mentioned here in eerily similar detail, by multiple people, prior to the podcast.

An easy way to not plagiarize would have been for Pete to say:

“According to the SLU Women’s Soccer thread on Billikens Dot Com…blah bah blah” and one could talk at length about the subject. 

This is on top of Pete’s recent post in that soccer thread which revealed he isn’t familiar with what is going on with that program. Examples include he was unaware of two players that left the program 5 months prior, or that contrary to a post he was eager to believe, the team did not in fact tell all of its Freshmen to transfer, as was mentioned by another poster here. 

This example is different than this thread about coffee, where links were provided, as opposed to copying and pasting information without reference.

Again, it’s a pretty easy, simple, thing in these situations, to avoid ongoing, long term plagiarism, and being unethical. But it is a choice. 

“According to the SLU Women’s Soccer thread on Billikens Dot Com…blah blah blah…” and he could talk and talk all he wants. But that seems to not be something they seem interested in doing. And therefore, they open themselves up to these sorts of ethical challenges and topics of discussion. 

It’s even worse and more sad when people kindly volunteer their time and information here for others, seeking little in return.

4 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Really, this again?

Yeah. I can’t believe I’m going to even address this: courtside is not the only person with insight on these games. Neither Peter nor I get our women’s soccer information from this thread. Appreciate him listening though. 

If the blatantly false accusations are  going to continue, I’d like to request @SluSignGuy take a little action here.

billikenbill likes this

47 minutes ago, Midtown Madness said:

Yeah. I can’t believe I’m going to even address this: courtside is not the only person with insight on these games. Neither Peter nor I get our women’s soccer information from this thread. Appreciate him listening though. 

This response is called gaslighting, a distraction from the specific topic and example. No one said I was the only person with insight to the games. I said as much in my previous post by saying he does this with other people and posters too.

Pete spoke in the first person, in specific detail, about games he did not attend, were not televised, were not covered by sports media, and were not covered by SLU. (And it wasn’t the first time.) The exact same details were provided here. It must have been a big coincidence those happen to be the exact same things he discussed as opposed to adding any one thing not from there. That’s plagiarism under any definition. 

Pete is so informed, and he avoids those threads here so much, that he posted in those exact same threads last week discussing players who haven’t been on the team in 5 months, as well as eagerly believing a false rumor from an another poster.

By defiantly saying you don’t and you haven’t ever taken information from here (and elsewhere) and passed it off as your own, it only makes it laughably worse. You’d rather double, triple, quadruple down, on a plagiarism reputation, than simply say: According to xyz thread on Billikens Dot Com…” 

Mistakes and accidents happen to everyone. But what you have been doing for years is an ongoing pattern of behavior, of passing off other people’s work as your own. And it's so easily avoidable too.

13 minutes ago, courtside said:

This response is called gaslighting, a distraction from the specific topic and example. No one said I was the only person with insight to the games. I said as much in my previous post by saying he does this with other people and posters too.

Pete spoke in the first person, in specific detail, about games he did not attend, were not televised, were not covered by sports media, and were not covered by SLU. (And it wasn’t the first time.) The exact same details were provided here. It must have been a big coincidence those happen to be the exact same things he discussed as opposed to adding any one thing not from there. That’s plagiarism under any definition. 

Pete is so informed, and he avoids those threads here so much, that he posted in those exact same threads last week discussing players who haven’t been on the team in 5 months, as well as eagerly believing a false rumor from an another poster.

By defiantly saying you don’t and you haven’t ever taken information from here (and elsewhere) and passed it off as your own, it only makes it laughably worse. You’d rather double, triple, quadruple down, on a plagiarism reputation, than simply say: According to xyz thread on Billikens Dot Com…” 

Mistakes and accidents happen to everyone. But what you have been doing similar things for years. It is an ongoing pattern of behavior, of passing off other people’s work as your own. 

Yeah I’m gonna need some action taken here @SluSignGuy. Gaslighting is a serious accusation, maybe worse than plagiarism, it’s also another completely bogus accusation all while hiding behind an anonymous name on a message board. 

If you really want to throw around accusations, we could talk about “defamation of character”? Is that something you might be interested in? 

billikenbill likes this

1 minute ago, Midtown Madness said:

Yeah I’m gonna need some action taken here @SluSignGuy. Gaslighting is a serious accusation, maybe worse than plagiarism, it’s also another completely bogus accusation all while hiding behind an anonymous name on a message board. 

If you really want to throw around accusations, we could talk about “defamation of character”? Is that something you might be interested in? 

No need to @ signguy because he was the one who brought up plagiarism. I saw hus post and gave him a current same week example of it. My first reply was to Steve. I didn't ask him for anything. I was merely pointing it out as you all were having some fun with the tooic. 

So you are now saying Pete came in town for 5 days and attended 2 soccer games? He spoke first hand about 2 games that were not televised. And the exact comments he made just so happen to have been posted here. Amazing coincidence. 1) He took the information from here. 2) Even if he took information from somewhere else, which he didn't, he still passed it all off as his own. So now you are saying Pete visited St. Louis for 2 games over 5 days.

11 minutes ago, courtside said:

No need to @ signguy because he was the one who brought up plagiarism. I saw hus post and gave him a current same week example of it. My first reply was to Steve. I didn't ask him for anything. I was merely pointing it out as you all were having some fun with the tooic. 

So you are now saying Pete came in town for 5 days and attended 2 soccer games? He spoke first hand about 2 games that were not televised. And the exact comments he made just so happen to have been posted here. Amazing coincidence. 1) He took the information from here. 2) Even if he took information from somewhere else, which he didn't, he still passed it all off as his own. So now you are saying Pete visited St. Louis for 2 games over 5 days.

Remember when you got up in arms about hijacking of women’s soccer threads only to find yourself doing the exact same thing in a thread about Firaol Ahmed. Life comes at you fast, doesn’t it? 

9 minutes ago, Midtown Madness said:

Remember when you got up in arms about hijacking of women’s soccer threads only to find yourself doing the exact same thing in a thread about Firaol Ahmed. Life comes at you fast, doesn’t it? 

This is another example of distracting and changing the subject. Did Pete take a trip to St. Louis over 5 days and attend 2 soccer games? 

In his post above, last Friday, 11:52pm Steve posted in this thread about plagiarism and changed the course of this thread. 

I did kindly reply about both the coffee topic and plagiarism, as opposed to starting a new thread about plagiarism. I'm sure you wouldn't have enjoyed that. And now here you are replying and extending the thread. 

I'm good. But if you'd like to keep going, that's up to you.

I can say that I myself, Warren, attended all the SLU women’s soccer exhibition games this spring and I myself posted on what I saw in my own words. I am not affiliated with Zac or Pete, never met them, but I do listen to their podcast and enjoy it. I follow the SLU women’s soccer team and SLU women’s basketball teams because I enjoy watching them play. The women’s soccer program at SLU in my opinion is excellent, if you look at where they were when Coach Shields took over and where they are now it is a great story. They are an extremely well-coached team, with great players, and I feel they are worthy of my support, so I go watch them play every chance I can and enjoy the game. I then post my observations of the game on here of what I saw here in hopes other people will read them and also encourage them to support the team, and hopefully go to the games themselves because I feel that the SLU women’s team is worthy of all the support I or anyone else can give them. @SluSignGuy is kind enough to provide this place for all fans of all SLU sports teams to post what they will, and I appreciate his efforts tremendously, as I feel it adds a lot to the experience of following the Billikens. As for my posts, they are just what I saw, I don’t claim to be infallible, or an expert in soccer at all, just a fan here trying to be a fan.  Please tell me when I’m wrong, I try my best for accuracy.  I get no money from anything I post here, I am not a journalist or blogger or anything like that, I just hope people like it and that it encourages discussion and helps promote interest in the program.  I don’t know the legal issues of who’s intellectual property my posts on here become after I post them,  but speaking only for myself if someone else reads them, enjoys them (or hates them) and wants to talk about it, then I personally am happy to let them do that about what I post.  If they give credit to me that’s fine, if they don’t I don’t really care as it doesn’t hurt me in any way. However, I do not own this site, @SluSignGuy does, and I am happy to defer to him in those issues of what is proper to quote what people post on here when they use it on another media.  I’m just a nerdy Lord of the Rings fan (by the way, this is the first time I’ve ever gotten Lord Elrond as a logon ID, so another shout-out to @SluSignGuy for the fact no one else claimed it). 

36 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

When I saw 18 replies to this thread I thought someone had tried the coffee and gave a review- no such luck.  Lots of helpings of pettiness,  though.

Sorry if I missed it, but can you buy the coffee in stores or is it online only?  I definitely want to support the kid.

thatskablamo and thetorch like this

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Sorry if I missed it, but can you buy the coffee in stores or is it online only?  I definitely want to support the kid.

Box, it looks like you can pick up a bag at a place called Running Niche in STL (near Tower Grove & Vandeventer) Other than that, it’s a digital storefront. Excited to see where this young man goes with a great product! 

thetorch and Box and Won like this

6 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I hope you're a dad.  If you're not, you shouldn't be dealing with jokes like that.....

Lol working on it. My wife and I got married on St Pat’s in upstate NY, so we’ll be celebrating 8 weeks of wedded bliss this Friday! ☘️