Scheduling Question: 18 v. 19 Home Games

Scheduling Question: 18 v. 19 Home Games  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept one fewer home game this year if it meant a better road opponent?

• Keep 19 Home Games
    • Accept one less home game for a better road opponent this year, and same better opponent at home next year

Stu Durando tweeted the following Ford quotes about the schedule:

https://twitter.com/studurando/status/1651249790439522306

“We’re trying to contact teams to start a series here. You can get tons to start on the road, but we can’t do that. Eventually somebody will. It’s early. Everybody’s playing the game right now but it’s difficult.”

SLU generally has a guideline to play 19 home games, including exhibitions. That is where some of the math on scheduling home, road and an MTE gets tough. SLU has not announced an MTE.

“We’re looking for the best opponent we can get (at home), but nobody wants to budge. Everybody wants home games. People think we have total control of the schedule. … Every year there are fewer (nonconference) games to be gotten.”

While it is great to have more home games, would people (mainly season ticket holders) be willing to have fewer home games (and perhaps endure perhaps a 5% increase in ticket price to make up for costs) in order to secure a better road opponent this year and then have a better home opponent next year?

In my mind, I would do it, as buy games really are not all that exciting if that is the alternative, but I was curious what others thought

well a tougher schedule didnt help us a darn bit last season.  hell lets play the school of pharmacy every game.

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

well a tougher schedule didnt help us a darn bit last season.  hell lets play the school of pharmacy every game.

Do you enjoy watching SLU v. School of Pharmacy?

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I think the NET play is to schedule the crappiest P5 schools you can get. 

As far as the question goes I would definitely be Ok with one less home game if it means a better game next year.

41 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

i guess i should have used the blue font

Even if Ford or May wanted to they could not cut the number of home games.  These are budgeted by the school are expectations of the company operating the arena.  We would lose significant amounts of money and most likely pay fines or some recompense for not fulfilling the game requirement.  The only way around this would be a etition to the A10 to play fewer conference games and then use those to schedule however way we wanted to.

On 4/27/2023 at 8:39 AM, SluSignGuy said:

Obviously Roy was kidding but his point is well taken, the way the NET is set unless you win those tougher games you get penalized and even if you win unless by a decent margin it doesn't help that much.  I would rather watch them play in the tourney then watch them play a tough game during the season.  As far as giving them more money - not until they produce.  Just giving them more money with no results makes no sense.

cgeldmacher likes this

33 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

If you schedule cupcakes, you need to not only beat them, but beat them badly

34 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

If you schedule cupcakes, you need to not only beat them, but beat them badly

We found out last year what happens when you lose at home to a team like SIU Edwardsville.

Yeah it's funny how we mock the teams who scheduled cupcakes but we lost at home to SIUE and struggled to blow out some other bad teams. The NET is a tough tool to figure out since they're always trying to change it but margin of victory has been a component we've failed in for 4 or 5 years now

Pistol likes this