Chris Harriman - Returns to SLU as Assistant Coach

6 hours ago, DOC said:

This guy is exactly what we need. He has head coaching experience. He’s been an associate head coach. He will improve our in-game coaching significantly. He’s highly thought of in the industry. As far as recruiting, he brought Low and Ellis here. Enough said. 

Who is "Low"?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Talent wasn't the problem, roster building was the problem. We had all the basketball talent you could ever want at this level. They just couldn't play on the defensive side of the ball.

Talent was definitely part of the problem last year. Zero depth at the 1 and the 5. 

slufanskip likes this

2 minutes ago, gabriel said:

Talent was definitely part of the problem last year. Zero depth at the 1 and the 5. 

ford wasnt going to rest yuri so your lack of depth is out of focus.   imo young hughes was one of the brightest spots of the season and did fine in the backup role.   

i definitely wouldnt say the depth at the bigs and point = zero. 

9 minutes ago, gabriel said:

I completely agree with depth being an issue, I think we differ in that I really consider depth to be separate from talent. We had a roster full of 1st and 2nd team caliber players. YC, GJ, JP, FO. We had decent wing depth and nothing else. 

15 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Seriously though, what are we doing? Why do we continue to discuss Harriman's recruiting credentials. Has Ford's problem here ever been acquiring talent? 

The way it looks talent may be an issue for this upcoming season.

Edited by SLUMedBilliken15

1 minute ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

The transfer portal closes on May 11, giving players about two weeks to make a change for their futures.

A lot can happen in two weeks. Put another way, a lot better happen in two weeks. Because of the more than 1,400 in the portal, less than 600 have picked a school, per Evan Miya's database.

There are still plenty of impact players available, too.

10 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

HA, as of right now we're past talent being a problem and on to just plain numbers being an issue. I expect Harriman to bring a couple players with him. As noted in this thread there are multiple guys in the portal with Harry Ties. heheheh 

2 hours ago, gabriel said:

Correct, you can't have a roster with only one experienced ballhandler. Way too much put on Gibby and Yuri. The problem wasn't the 5, it was the 4... we didn't have one on the roster.

gabriel and billikenbill like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

The transfer portal closes on May 11, giving players about two weeks to make a change for their futures.

A lot can happen in two weeks. Put another way, a lot better happen in two weeks. Because of the more than 1,400 in the portal, less than 600 have picked a school, per Evan Miya's database.

There are still plenty of impact players available, too.

Players can still transfer after 5/11. They'd be required to get a waiver no matter what, though. Whereas first-time transfers in the portal don't need a waiver.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Fred.......

I think Fred was at his best as an undersized 3 - he had above average handles in that role. As a guard - below average. I wouldn't feel real good about him breaking the press for example.

6 hours ago, ACE said:

I think Fred was at his best as an undersized 3 - he had above average handles in that role. As a guard - below average. I wouldn't feel real good about him breaking the press for example.

Fred was an "experienced ball handler" and much better in that role than Gibson, who you also mentioned.  Fred did bring up the ball quite often as I recall.  Was he interchangeable with Yuri? No.  Was he a solid option? Yes.  You are not giving him the credit he deserves in my opinion.......

willie, HoosierPal and DOC like this

Good article by Stu, mentions Harriman's 10 day interview with Majerus and his to-be-defined role with this staff.  Harriman also has broadened his recruiting efforts and prefers not to be pigeon-holed as an international recruiter. For now the focus is on the transfer portal, and Harriman has worked to get some big men on campus in coming days and weeks for visits.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/chris-harrimans-10-day-interview-with-rick-majerus-paved-way-for-career/article_d236a87c-e534-11ed-afaf-a7f7bac744a9.html

Looking at the last phrase, working on portal, I went to Verbal Commits Recruits and here are the Cal players listed in the portal and not having found a home.  This is information only.  Their stats would be on the Cal BB site, if you are interested.  They ended up 3-29, so factor that into your evaluation.

Brown, Jr PG 6'2"

Anyanwu, SO PF, 6'7"

Roberson,  SO SG 6'6"

Clayton (RS GR) PG 6'2"

Kuany, JR PF 6'9"

Welle, RS JR, PF, 6'7"

Kuany, an Aussie, is interesting.  Also someone posted he’s got a younger brother who’s supposedly pretty solid. 

And Brown is a PG. We’re in need of an experienced PG. 
All that said the 3-29 record is pretty depressing. That’ll a tough pill to swallow even by Jim Crews standards. 
The article was a good read. No doubt Rick could be a harsh taskmaster, but both coaches and most of his players always stress the positive nature of their experience with him. 

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Good article by Stu, mentions Harriman's 10 day interview with Majerus and his to-be-defined role with this staff.  Harriman also has broadened his recruiting efforts and prefers not to be pigeon-holed as an international recruiter. For now the focus is on the transfer portal, and Harriman has worked to get some big men on campus in coming days and weeks for visits.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/chris-harrimans-10-day-interview-with-rick-majerus-paved-way-for-career/article_d236a87c-e534-11ed-afaf-a7f7bac744a9.html

Looking at the last phrase, working on portal, I went to Verbal Commits Recruits and here are the Cal players listed in the portal and not having found a home.  This is information only.  Their stats would be on the Cal BB site, if you are interested.  They ended up 3-29, so factor that into your evaluation.

Brown, Jr PG 6'2"

Anyanwu, SO PF, 6'7"

Roberson,  SO SG 6'6"

Clayton (RS GR) PG 6'2"

Kuany, JR PF 6'9"

Welle, RS JR, PF, 6'7"

This guy might be a grandfather before he exits college ball.

Cal guard DeJuan Clayton is entering the transfer portal, per a source. Clayton began his college career in 2016-17, playing parts of five seasons at Coppin State. He played two games at Hartford in 21-22 and eight games for Cal in 22-23. He averaged 9.2PPG, 2.9APG and 1.9RPG last season.