Difference between May and Dayton's AD

Just saw on the main board information about the Dayton AD making an honest assessment of how Dayton's season went.  Basically he is saying close is not enough and the program has to do better.  Contrast with May - we had a successful season and all is well basically.  Which school will reach the Dance first?

37 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Just saw on the main board information about the Dayton AD making an honest assessment of how Dayton's season went.  Basically he is saying close is not enough and the program has to do better.  Contrast with May - we had a successful season and all is well basically.  Which school will reach the Dance first?

That is NOT what May said. 

SLU AD Chris May today affirmed his commitment to coach Travis Ford: “Travis has brought a level of talent here that can compete year in and year out, and he’s going to be our coach for a long time.”

9 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

It’s the difference between one institution honestly assessing the situation and one institution not doing that

Yeah I think this is right. As much I wouldn't have questioned May if he'd bought Ford out for the astronomical amount necessary, it was probably the correct and fiscally responsible move. I do not question Chris May's desire or drive to win, I question his ability to be a true athletic director outside of fundraising. And damn sure question his ability to run a PR campaign. Don't get me wrong, Chris May is still at an incredible amount of fault for putting himself in this position.

As Pestello goes, I'm sure he just takes his cues from Chris May and has zero clue what it takes to win at this level. He saw LeMoyne beat Syracuse so he has to have at least an abstract idea that winning is good for the bottom line but I don't think he understands the potential here at SLU or what it would take to reach that potential.

Bizziken likes this

29 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

SLU AD Chris May today affirmed his commitment to coach Travis Ford: “Travis has brought a level of talent here that can compete year in and year out, and he’s going to be our coach for a long time.”

Well the Dayton AD did not say anything like you just quoted.  He said nobody is happy nor interested in listening to excuses.  Honestly not sure how you don't see that what you say May said can not be deciphered as we had a successful season and we are happy with what our coach accomplished.  I am not making anything up just pointing out how to soothe your anxious fan base in an effective way.  I am still waiting for you explain how what May said and what the Dayton AD said are not different.

20 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I don’t see how anyone could read this quote and take it any way other than May is very happy with Ford as coach and thinks he has been very successful.   Doesn’t seem that different from what Cheeseman posted. 

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well the Dayton AD did not say anything like you just quoted.  He said nobody is happy nor interested in listening to excuses.  Honestly not sure how you don't see that what you say May said can not be deciphered as we had a successful season and we are happy with what our coach accomplished.  I am not making anything up just pointing out how to soothe your anxious fan base in an effective way.  I am still waiting for you explain how what May said and what the Dayton AD said are not different.

There were 2 different questions addressed.  May was affirming that he was sticking with Ford.  He was not answering the question, "Are you happy with how the season ended?"  If asked that, I think he would have said no. You don't always have to change coaches to get to the NCAA's.  

cgeldmacher likes this

5 hours ago, SLUDrew said:

Its the difference between an institution that is committed to winning and one that would "like" to win but isn't willing to pull out all the stops to make that happen. 

I don't know if this is accurate. SLU as an institution spends more on basketball than almost all the mid majors and spends more on coaching than half of the Big East schools. Money is more important than talk, and SLU is willing to pull out all the stops when it comes to basketball spending. One can argue that the spending hasn't been in the right places or on the right coach, etc. May's approach is to try to stay positive (Likely as a way to try to get more donations and keep people interested)vs Dayton's AD's approach which is to accept fault. The words ADs say and how they say them are less important than 1.) raising money and continuing to keep athletics a University spending priority (AKA increasing the basketball budget) and 2.) finding and ensuring we have the right coach. I understand arguing about May on point #2, but there are many examples of schools spending big on coaches who go on to have worse outcomes than Ford's. There is a good chance that even if Ford was fired that a new coach would have even worse results.   I also understand that we all want results, but you better believe May wants results even more than we do. 

2 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I don't know if this is accurate. SLU as an institution spends more on basketball than almost all the mid majors and spends more on coaching than half of the Big East schools. Money is more important than talk, and SLU is willing to pull out all the stops when it comes to basketball spending. One can argue that the spending hasn't been in the right places or on the right coach, etc. May's approach is to try to stay positive (Likely as a way to try to get more donations and keep people interested)vs Dayton's AD's approach which is to accept fault. The words ADs say and how they say them are less important than 1.) raising money and continuing to keep athletics a University spending priority (AKA increasing the basketball budget) and 2.) finding and ensuring we have the right coach. I understand arguing about May on point #2, but there are many examples of schools spending big on coaches who go on to have worse outcomes than Ford's. There is a good chance that even if Ford was fired that a new coach would have even worse results.   I also understand that we all want results, but you better believe May wants results even more than we do. 

Well spoken sir (or written)