Why play Division 1 basketball for SLU in the A10?

GOSLU68

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

This is what people are saying that it is just not possible for kids today to financially work without going into debt in a big way

Tuition is only $4500 a semester at SEMO.  Unless you're an athlete, have wealthy parents, are a scholarship winner, or getting financial aid out the rear, going to SLU makes no sense.  Work for a year and no one give a shiite who your diploma is from anyway...... 

AGB91 likes this

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Tuition is only $4500 a semester at SEMO.  Unless you're an athlete, have wealthy parents, are a scholarship winner, or getting financial aid out the rear, going to SLU makes no sense.  Work for a year and no one give a shiite who your diploma is from anyway...... 

Not only is the tuition very reasonable to begin with, the Missouri state schools all have a sliding scale with guaranteed scholarship money for students who have a certain combination of GPA and test scores.  For example, a kid with a 3.5 and a 25 on the ACT gets an automatic $3k from SEMO.  With a kid in high school, I've taken a newfound interest in this stuff.

brianstl and Billiken Rich like this

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Not only is the tuition very reasonable to begin with, the Missouri state schools all have a sliding scale with guaranteed scholarship money for students who have a certain combination of GPA and test scores.  For example, a kid with a 3.5 and a 25 on the ACT gets an automatic $3k from SEMO.  With a kid in high school, I've taken a newfound interest in this stuff.

I was already dialed up to reply "Gee, wonder why you're so on top of this!" before I read your last sentence.

I'm still over a decade away from a kid in college. I'm ready for any possibility by then - college is $200,000/year, it's more or less the same trajectory as now, it's free, or higher education as we know it doesn't exist. We're throwing money into the 529 every pay period until then, regardless.

4 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

A lot goes into the decision of where a kid goes.  Money is part of it but not all.  Years ago the state use to give some kind of a stipend - I missed it - for going to a private school since it was cheaper to do that then build more spaces to handle more students much like the VA does now if you qualify for a VA nursing home.  The stipend was a good way to hold costs down for the state and still provide for college programming. I can assure you that if every MO student chose to go to a public college the system would be swamped.  Everyone must weigh all their options.  By the way the program that Box was talking about is not one that you are assured to get every year there are levels you must attain to keep it.