Why play Division 1 basketball for SLU in the A10?

GOSLU68

The quality of the student body is screened for like minded people who are willing to serve the community while learning a proven system of thinking. Being in the A10 gives you access on a priority basis to graduate school if you are qualified within the conference. Saint Louis University is offering a Jesuit education that has a reputation for superior training and success after graduation. 

You may wish to add what you found importsnt if you were lucky to be accepted and attended classes at SLU. 

Some of you may be second generation SLU grads or parents thst met at SLU.

Remind others why you have high regards for Saint Louis University. Think of the success stories of Luchtefelds or Larry Hughes family with multiple students choosing SLU. 

it is not just about a good basketball facility- it is a way of life

1 hour ago, GOSLU68 said:

The quality of the student body is screened for like minded people who are willing to serve the community while learning a proven system of thinking. Being in the A10 gives you access on a priority basis to graduate school if you are qualified within the conference. Saint Louis University is offering a Jesuit education that has a reputation for superior training and success after graduation. 

You may wish to add what you found importsnt if you were lucky to be accepted and attended classes at SLU. 

Some of you may be second generation SLU grads or parents thst met at SLU.

Remind others why you have high regards for Saint Louis University. Think of the success stories of Luchtefelds or Larry Hughes family with multiple students choosing SLU. 

it is not just about a good basketball facility- it is a way of life

Don’t disagree….challenge is many athletes may not be Catholic or prioritize a Jesuit education. Urban campus near crime. Home game atmosphere of a mortuary except during the big games. Empty season ticket seats. Student apathy toward basketball…A10 weakening, etc. Tgis is just a reality check just about any coach not named Majerus must face….all things considered, the program has been on a good trajectory since Ford started even with the recent frustrating season.

Saint Louis is not an island and Diversity does not pre-empt appreciation for traditions and guidelines. The Jews adopted and adapted to pagan or cult natural rites of spring, harvest, etc. The Christians took on and modified the teaching of the old testament. The moslems and protestants did not start from scratch, either. Asians have trusted herbal, medical, scientific and mathematical cultural heritage and in some cases religions monotheistic or in the cases of Greeks, Romans and other sections of time and geography people filled in the voids with whatever strongmen or leaders taught.

i graduated 55 years ago and the Jesuit curriculum offered me Old testament from a  strong bible belt baptist woman and a Jesuit teaching modern religions that insisted Eastern rite, Lutherans, Anglicans and Catholics pretty much were cut out of the same cloth and the Roman Catholic church had periods of corruption and people like Martin Luther were correct in bringing the point up. My third choice was the “marriage course”. 

At the time I went- 9 hours of theology and 12 hours if philosophy were mandatory in undergrad and religion and ethics were pretty limited in the MBA program. A couple of history courses were required as well. If you did a PHD it was required to be fluent in German or French as a second language in most dusciplines.

I doubt many catholics would turn down basketball scholarships at TCU or SMU. 

If you are holding a glass half full yours seems to be have full of a lot of negatives and I would like people to point out the many positives of attending Saint Louis University. I am in Montreal at the moment and it is flooded with young people shopping near the old port and Saint Laurent Seaway. Some old people are saying the government in Ottawa has stacked the deck in favor of Toronto. Shipping, Warehousing, Refrigeration do no drive the economy as they once did. Turn to the real estate section it says housing down 3.7 percent 2023 and predict up 4.3 percent for 2024- then look at the adds fir houses in okd Westmount $15million, $25 million and $30 million dollar asking prices. 

i always thought city schools best the hell out of rural ones in many ways. If you want to take music appreciation or be a music major you can actually walk down the treet to the Symphony- we used to get student discounts. If you are an art major we have free access to the Art Museum in Forest Park. If you want to be a history major we have a great History museum on Lindell Blvd (the other street our university fronts).

if you want to be a poli sci major our city is full of pilitical intrigue and opportunities to volunteer or even run for office. Slu kids volunteer to plant and care for parks such as Lafayette Square and Shaw park or get involved in Forest Park Forever.

I am thinking there are many benefits to a city school and you get stopped by some sort of Ivory Tower isolation ideal. You don’t have to have cows and grassland to do experiments on milk- you need ideas, books, labs and to be taught experimental regimen so you your results are accurate and replicable. My daughter went to Suffolk Law School in Boston because it was near the courts- now SLU law is on Tucker across the street from the courthouse and two blocks from the federal building, three from city hall and Five from the Eagleton Court building, six or seven from the Police headquarters. We have had SLU basketball players study criminology and juvenile justice. 

Ssint Louis is a hub for Physical Therapy and the hospitals are writing scrips for those every day. 

Maybe you have an idea about the tip if this iceberg? Our city and its faults are opportunities for learning and correction.

I see some typos- 200 cities in USA with problems and yet they contain power and wealth. Many rural towns become ghost towns world wide with no resources to help them. The cities have deficits but they do have reserves and energy.

11 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

in Ottawa has stacked the deck in favor of Toronto

All I see is that you support the University of Toronto joining the A10, and welcome to the club. 

dear goslu68,

i could possibly be in lockstep with you if Saint Louis University had maintained their academic standings nationwide over the years.   however slu continues to fall in their rankings for academics and imo it appears they are no longer close to being an elite academic institution.  maybe we are above average, but nothing as special as i felt 40+ years ago.  so i'm not sure how you can continue with this proud alumni thing you are selling in this thread.   at least at the level you are projecting.   

yes, i am still a billiken.  as is my family.   but my wife and i were made billikens in the early 80's when academically a diploma from slu was a little more prestigious than it is now.   even my son who got his diploma 15 years ago doesnt have the same level of eliteness academically as he did back then imo.  

so i am pretty confident, your willingness to excuse our on court mediocrity we have comfortably fell to due to the greatness of the university as a whole, isnt going to hold water with most of the billiken fandom.   and now with this new professionalism that division one college sports has opened up, it is just going to be that much tougher to accept our basketball program for what it is and it appears we are not going to play with the big boys.   it is my guess we will fall into the second category of schools being left out of most of the spoils in the future of college basketball.  

so to review, saint louis university has fallen in academic standings tremendously over the last few decades.   and now in just the last few years our basketball program seems to have accepted mediocrity and is mocking the fan base for their support as well.  our hopes for national standings in at least basketball seem so far away now as compared to just 4-5 years ago.   

there are no signs of either side (academically or basketball) attempting to turn the arrows back and start the climb back up towards respectability.   

however, saint louis university does have an incredible not to be used endowment fund.   so we all have that going for us. 

my suggestion is why not use about half of those unrestricted endowment funds to turn things around on both ends?   surely it would pay off on the education side with an increased reputation academically with more higher paying tuition students.  and on the basketball side, wouldnt more ncaa tourney points (which equals revenue) finally give us that holy grail of the big east or at least a higher ranking basketball identity?  i could accept this now watered down middling A-10 that bernadette has created if we truly were the gonzaga of the A-10.  we arent even close to such.  

oh that's right no body uses their endowment this way.   that just wouldnt be right.  let's just keep pretending all is well and telling each other how good saint louis university is on both counts.

Soderball and TaLBErt like this

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

dear goslu68,

i could possibly be in lockstep with you if Saint Louis University had maintained their academic standings nationwide over the years.   however slu continues to fall in their rankings for academics and imo it appears they are no longer close to being an elite academic institution.  maybe we are above average, but nothing as special as i felt 40+ years ago.  so i'm not sure how you can continue with this proud alumni thing you are selling in this thread.   at least at the level you are projecting.   

yes, i am still a billiken.  as is my family.   but my wife and i were made billikens in the early 80's when academically a diploma from slu was a little more prestigious than it is now.   even my son who got his diploma 15 years ago doesnt have the same level of eliteness academically as he did back then imo.  

so i am pretty confident, your willingness to excuse our on court mediocrity we have comfortably fell to due to the greatness of the university as a whole, isnt going to hold water with most of the billiken fandom.   and now with this new professionalism that division one college sports has opened up, it is just going to be that much tougher to accept our basketball program for what it is and it appears we are not going to play with the big boys.   it is my guess we will fall into the second category of schools being left out of most of the spoils in the future of college basketball.  

so to review, saint louis university has fallen in academic standings tremendously over the last few decades.   and now in just the last few years our basketball program seems to have accepted mediocrity and is mocking the fan base for their support as well.  our hopes for national standings in at least basketball seem so far away now as compared to just 4-5 years ago.   

there are no signs of either side (academically or basketball) attempting to turn the arrows back and start the climb back up towards respectability.   

however, saint louis university does have an incredible not to be used endowment fund.   so we all have that going for us. 

my suggestion is why not use about half of those unrestricted endowment funds to turn things around on both ends?   surely it would pay off on the education side with an increased reputation academically with more higher paying tuition students.  and on the basketball side, wouldnt more ncaa tourney points (which equals revenue) finally give us that holy grail of the big east or at least a higher ranking basketball identity?  i could accept this now watered down middling A-10 that bernadette has created if we truly were the gonzaga of the A-10.  we arent even close to such.  

oh that's right no body uses their endowment this way.   that just wouldnt be right.  let's just keep pretending all is well and telling each other how good saint louis university is on both counts.

Jesus Roy, get some coffee or maybe some of that legal weed.  The glass is at least half full not shattered and bloody on the bathroom floor........

I know it's tax time but damn......

14 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Jesus Roy, get some coffee or maybe some of that legal weed.  The glass is at least half full not shattered and bloody on the bathroom floor........

I know it's tax time but damn......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQuC32gH8Rw&pp=ygUkYm91bmQgYW5kIGJyb2tlbiBvbiB0aGUgZmxvb3IgbHlyaWNz

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

The 'giving day' emails were...something. Lots of focus on things that don't matter, academically speaking. 

Perception is reality.  This is neither support for goslu68 nor billiken_roy but rather a note that all opinions are welcome.  The old cliche in this one is that between the two is likely where the truth lies.  Frankly, I don't know.  Personally, I valued my SLU education from the mid- to late-70's and look back on it with the finest, filtered lenses.  If I had to do it all over again, knowing then what I know now, I might have pumped up the volume some and did more.  However, nowhere in my foggy memory did any job interview include the line that my degree was any more positive than any other.  I didn't graduate into an alumni network that seemed as strong as Notre Dame or Duke or MIT but that was likely because I didn't know how to employ it and I didn't stay in St. Louis long enough to form dynamic connections.  The only major question I seemed to have to answer was 'do you have a degree?'  I look back on my 32+ year career in the fed as luck --- I was in the right place at the right time.  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

dear goslu68,

Too bad for you and your son not sure why he would want to repeat your mistake; my fortune was I spent 3 semesters at a very cold Champaign- Urbana- still a top 50 program in most things. My experience at SLU was a fellow students who were genuine and teachers who were there to teach and cared. I was involved in extra curricular activities at both schools so I would say perception is a very personal thing and sorry you are bitter about it so long after. Too bad you have no positive thoughts for students seeking a comfortable place to achieve their goals.

i really felt my time at SLU prepared me for my future.

2 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

Too bad for you and your son not sure why he would want to repeat your mistake; my fortune was I spent 3 semesters at a very cold Champaign- Urbana- still a top 50 program in most things. My experience at SLU was a fellow students who were genuine and teachers who were there to teach and cared. I was involved in extra curricular activities at both schools so I would say perception is a very personal thing and sorry you are bitter about it so long after. Too bad you have no positive thoughts for students seeking a comfortable place to achieve their goals.

i really felt my time at SLU prepared me for my future.

I'm a super recent grad (2019) and I totally agree with you. I never felt more myself than when I was at SLU. 

8 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I'm a super recent grad (2019) and I totally agree with you. I never felt more myself than when I was at SLU. 

We were happy being in school instead of Vietnam- kids tried sitting in front of Military booths at career day and they git booed- “they are wanting to be officers instead of cannon fodder was the crowd murmur that overshadowed the few who did not understand what working for a college education, a military commission meant to your life instead mindless complaint. We ate Uslleman’s baloney sandwiches on the hoods of our cars parked in front of the library- yes, a street went through all that grass.  Anyone who says it isn’t improved is forgetful of how urban it was when there were two part time security guards mostly at night outside the women’s dorm at curfew- yes women had to be in by 10 week nights 12 on weekends or have passes with legitimate reasons fir not making bed check. The “campus club” was unfinished basement rooms in Cupples or Chouteau House. No cafeteria. No Student Union. No bowling. No Swimming pools. Club football was the only intramural and the kids bought their own equipment. The fine arrs buiding was tirn diwn as “unsafe” the kids told to go to Wash U or Fontbonne if they wanted to finish their degrees.

8 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

We were happy being in school instead of Vietnam- kids tried sitting in front of Military booths at career day and they git booed- “they are wanting to be officers instead of cannon fodder was the crowd murmur that overshadowed the few who did not understand what working for a college education, a military commission meant to your life instead mindless complaint. We ate Uslleman’s baloney sandwiches on the hoods of our cars parked in front of the library- yes, a street went through all that grass.  Anyone who says it isn’t improved is forgetful of how urban it was when there were two part time security guards mostly at night outside the women’s dorm at curfew- yes women had to be in by 10 week nights 12 on weekends or have passes with legitimate reasons fir not making bed check. The “campus club” was unfinished basement rooms in Cupples or Chouteau House. No cafeteria. No Student Union. No bowling. No Swimming pools. Club football was the only intramural and the kids bought their own equipment. The fine arrs buiding was tirn diwn as “unsafe” the kids told to go to Wash U or Fontbonne if they wanted to finish their degrees.

-while taking a trip down memory lane, do you recall the tuition? were there many Jesuits teaching?

9 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-while taking a trip down memory lane, do you recall the tuition? were there many Jesuits teaching?

When I went to undergrad - 1969-1973, tuition was $800 per semester for up to 19 hours.  I actually was able to pay my full costs with my summer and part time jobs during the year coupled with what I had saved in high school.  Books were still relatively expensive for the day and created some creative approaches such as used books and sharing. 

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

When I went to undergrad - 1969-1973, tuition was $800 per semester for up to 19 hours.  I actually was able to pay my full costs with my summer and part time jobs during the year coupled with what I had saved in high school.  Books were still relatively expensive for the day and created some creative approaches such as used books and sharing. 

-still a chunk of change for those times, thanks

11 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

Late sixties $450-$480 and grad school after was closer to $600

I took 7 three hour courses one semester and my bi polar girlfriend to 8 clasess and 22 hours. She had 4 finals conflicts and I had three

12 hours ago, cheeseman said:

So roughly 12,000 per year in todays dollars. Amazing that it now costs…quadruple that?