New Assistant Coach

slufan13

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Compton said:

Here's a somewhat objective critique of that hire - too much overlap with Coach Tate's recruiting strengths.

Many of Cuonzo's big recruits Jeremiah Tilmon, Torrence Watson, Javon Pickett, Mark Smith, Mario McKinney, Yaya Keita were local guys, some of whom we recruited and had a decent shot at, but they ended up choosing differently. Coach Tate covers the same ground - Jordan Goodwin, Terrence Hargrove, Javon Pickett, Yuri Collins, Jordan Nesbitt, Carte'Are Gordon.

We might be better off with an assistant who's recruiting strengths compliment Coach Tate's, instead of perfectly overlapping them.

I just don’t see in what world Martin would come as an assistant at SLU. He would take the head job, but he’s not going to be an assistant at a mid major. Keep in mind, the dude is filthy rich. If for some reason we could land him, it would be in place of Tate, as the associate head coach. I’d be down for that. 

9 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Whatever expectations are - they better lower them. Ford isn't getting a great, established assistant to come here at this point. Best hope is taking a chance on an up and coming in the Forte/Stuen mold. The rest are going to be Platt-ian level retreads. 

I gotta say, I laughed so hard at 'Platt-ian.'

4 hours ago, Compton said:

Here's a somewhat objective critique of that hire - too much overlap with Coach Tate's recruiting strengths.

Many of Cuonzo's big recruits Jeremiah Tilmon, Torrence Watson, Javon Pickett, Mark Smith, Mario McKinney, Yaya Keita were local guys, some of whom we recruited and had a decent shot at, but they ended up choosing differently. Coach Tate covers the same ground - Jordan Goodwin, Terrence Hargrove, Javon Pickett, Yuri Collins, Jordan Nesbitt, Carte'Are Gordon.

We might be better off with an assistant whose recruiting strengths compliment Coach Tate's, instead of perfectly overlapping them.

When you have the opportunity to bring in someone who has been the head coach at Tennessee, California, and Mizzou, you should jump at that opportunity. 

It blows my mind how people could think we’re landing someone above Cuonzo’s coaching pedigree to be our new assistant.

majerus mojo likes this

3 hours ago, DOC said:

I just don’t see in what world Martin would come as an assistant at SLU. He would take the head job, but he’s not going to be an assistant at a mid major. Keep in mind, the dude is filthy rich. If for some reason we could land him, it would be in place of Tate, as the associate head coach. I’d be down for that. 

Agreed

2 hours ago, Billiken Bob said:

All of you negative Nellies are going to be quite disappointed when the new assistant coach is announced in the next few days,  The true Billiken fan is going to be pretty happy.

I'll play. Jamall Walker. Would be a great hire.

cgeldmacher likes this

My keys: player developer with NBA connections or a strict Xs and Os guy. If Ford is the recruiter we make him out to be, recruiting talent is the last thing we need in this assistant coach. A local guy doesn't really matter since we already have one and high school recruiting is less important but I'll take anyone who can develop a player or scheme up an offense. 

Just now, SLU_Nick said:

I’m trying to come up with a candidate that will please EVERYONE.  Seems like a tough bar to meet 😂

uhhh…Jay Wright or Brad Stevens to come work under Ford.  Eh even then some idiot will take a counter position. 

It's probably Hughes. He'd be intriguing but a risk. Ford needs to take a risk though. Him plus a guy who specializes on Xs and Os and you definitely shook up the staff which was probably needed

Its hard to tell who it is because those close to the program these days think that any criticism makes you a bad fan and that we should be excited about everything. My guesses at the new coach(es?) ranked from most to least likely

1. Larry Hughes

2. Jamal Walker

3. Brooks Ford 

4. Blake Ahearn

5. Yuri Collins

6. Justin Tatum 

7. MB73

8. Frank Cusumano

9. Jordair Jett

10. BIGBILLFAN

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Its hard to tell who it is because those close to the program these days think that any criticism makes you a bad fan and that we should be excited about everything. My guesses at the new coach(es?) ranked from most to least likely

1. Larry Hughes

2. Jamal Walker

3. Brooks Ford 

4. Blake Ahearn

5. Yuri Collins

6. Justin Tatum 

7. MB73

8. Frank Cusumano

9. Jordair Jett

10. BIGBILLFAN

5 star LOCK