New Assistant Coach

slufan13

I know Ford said there's a lot of interest. Have any of the insders heard anything? Feel like it'd be helpful to have another assistant right now. I've always been a fan of not formally hiring the coach until you need to so that he could recruit for your program but work around certain recruiting rules since he's not officially hired. But since anything and everything is allowed in recruiting now, it might be best to have the new coach on board.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

If there’s actually a lot of interest, I’d be beyond disappointed with Cuonzo. 

Cuonzo is a great defensive coach. He has more experience getting to the tournament. His weak link is recruiting, but that’s Ford’s strength. I don’t see Ford hiring him, however.

I think it might be hard to find an impactful assistant at this point. A lot of movement has already happened. The current staff is viewed as on the hot seat. I am sure there is a lot of interest because there always is from every DOBO in the country for every assistant coach opening ever. 

Obviously somebody was not happy with the Forte situation - either Ford or Forte.  I do wonder if Ford was not happy then why would he not have planned for this situation or if Forte wasn't happy why would Ford not have planned for this situation.  Either way the end result is the same - we need an assistant coach and if some are correct the pickings are slim.  

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Obviously somebody was not happy with the Forte situation - either Ford or Forte.

What makes you think that? I'm asking seriously. Forte is moving much closer to home, to a program that just won the NIT. He was basically the #4 coach at SLU, having come here from Sam Houston State in 2021. He might be #2 or 3 at UNT. Probably a good thing that being an Assistant at SLU can open up new opportunities for more junior coaches.

What makes you think there was any unhappiness by anyone involved in Forte's move?

Zink likes this

22 minutes ago, Compton said:

What makes you think that? I'm asking seriously. Forte is moving much closer to home, to a program that just won the NIT. He was basically the #4 coach at SLU, having come here from Sam Houston State in 2021. He might be #2 or 3 at UNT. Probably a good thing that being an Assistant at SLU can open up new opportunities for more junior coaches.

What makes you think there was any unhappiness by anyone involved in Forte's move?

Just a guess based on how it went down.

On 4/17/2023 at 8:08 PM, Compton said:

Agenda

AGB91 likes this

Would be interesting ? If Brian Gregory was named an Assistant Coach.

Since alot of quiet right now, just throwing that out

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

Why would we need a new DOBO @brianstl? The rumor is that Will Bailey is leaving, not Christian Nunez? 

As for Brian Gregory, there is nothing he'd add to this staff that Ford doesn't already succeed at, so pass. 

Nunez isn't the DBO.  Dziagwa is the DBO.  SLU posted a job listing with the title "Coordinator - Men's Basketball" last week with duties that mirror a DBO's job duties.  

johnbj14 likes this

Just now, brianstl said:

Nunez isn't the DBO.  Dziagwa is the DBO.  SLU posted a job listing with the title "Coordinator - Men's Basketball" last week with duties that mirror a DBO's job duties.  

Updated the original post, as I somehow confused their titles. I think that Coordinator position is the additional role that the NCAA allowed last summer with a change in legislation, but could be wrong. Essentially you can have 4 assistants right now but one has a slightly lesser amount of responsibilities they can take on. 

3 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Personally I think Forte was the biggest loss of anyone on the staff that could leave. He has a lot of potential. The other guys are what they are at this point. 

I do find it interesting that it appears that Bailey is jumping from one coach on the hot seat to another coach on the hot seat.

JMM28 likes this