Brock Vice de-commits

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until he commits somewhere.... maybe he could change his mind, but don't expect that. 

Was anxious for him to come here

Coach314 likes this

3 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Sounds like he just wants to move up.

you are probably  right but where he sees a lower level than he wants I see an opportunity. 
I wish he would have taken the challenge of turning a program like SLU into a Creighton instead of just joining a program like Creighton. 

AGB91 likes this

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

you are probably  right but where he sees a lower level than he wants I see an opportunity. 
I wish he would have taken the challenge of turning a program like SLU into a Creighton instead of just joining a program like Creighton. 

You guys act like he is LeBron. My god

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

How would you view a University moving on from a player and "suggesting" he transfer?

Two sides of the same coin. If you want a commitment to be binding on the athlete, it should be binding on the university as long as the athlete remains academically eligible. If you want universities to be able to push an athlete out when they decide the athlete isn’t as good an athlete as you want, then you have to give the student the same freedom to freely change schools.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Two sides of the same coin. If you want a commitment to be binding on the athlete, it should be binding on the university as long as the athlete remains academically eligible. If you want universities to be able to push an athlete out when they decide the athlete isn’t as good an athlete as you want, then you have to give the student the same freedom to freely change schools.

Agreed

8 hours ago, Taj79 said:

LOI means nothing

This might be a smooth brained take from me, but the word "intent" should hold weight. We use intent to differentiate between degrees of assault and murder, so if someone intends to do something and resources are allocated accordingly, shouldn't backing out from a letter of intent carry some consequences to eligibility?

55 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This might be a smooth brained take from me, but the word "intent" should hold weight. We use intent to differentiate between degrees of assault and murder, so if someone intends to do something and resources are allocated accordingly, shouldn't backing out from a letter of intent carry some consequences to eligibility?

It holds weight in that a school can prevent a guy from playing for a year if they don’t honor it. Most schools just release a guy and avoid the Twitter mob though. 

brianstl likes this

21 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

It holds weight in that a school can prevent a guy from playing for a year if they don’t honor it. Most schools just release a guy and avoid the Twitter mob though. 

They just need to get rid of the NIL. It is outdated for basketball.

55 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The threat of negative recruiting is still there too. I first wondered why schools released anyone from NLI...but I imagine it's a big turn-off for recruits to learn they can't get out of it if their circumstances change. 

JMM28 likes this

28 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

The threat of negative recruiting is still there too. I first wondered why schools released anyone from NLI...but I imagine it's a big turn-off for recruits to learn they can't get out of it if their circumstances change. 

You 100% do not want to be known as the school who holds recruits hostage.  That info would spread pretty quickly. And you bet opposing coaches would use it when recruiting against you. 

10 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

You 100% do not want to be known as the school who holds recruits hostage.  That info would spread pretty quickly. And you bet opposing coaches would use it when recruiting against you. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/42525/what-is-phil-martelli-doing

Old article, but seems similar to this situation (minus the free transfer rule changes).