2023-2024 Roster and Schedule

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/travis-ford-hopes-to-rebuild-slu-roster-with-size-athleticism/article_d6756666-8a02-5780-983d-45cd5dd84c77.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

One confirmed item and one new item.  The confirmed item is that Larry Hughes Jr has been given a scholarship.  The new item is Kellen Thames continues to grow and is now 6'7".

Daniel Rivera isn't mentioned in the article, yet "3 scholarships open" to me indicates he is returning, or has yet to make a decision.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rivera may be the least known about returning player in our program's history. He committed out of no where.  He wasn't sitting on the bench or even out there for warm ups half the year. And seemingly no one knows how he is recovering. 

almaman likes this

Just now, crymdg2 said:

Rivera may be the least known about returning player in our program's history. He committed out of no where.  He wasn't sitting on the bench or even out there for warm ups half the year. And seemingly no one knows how he is recovering. 

Furthermore, does Thames growth challenge Rivera more?  Based on how it sounds, Rivera is a SF and Thames is a wing, but about the same size with a  slight nod to Thames. 

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Furthermore, does Thames growth challenge Rivera more?  Based on how it sounds, Rivera is a SF and Thames is a wing, but about the same size with a  slight nod to Thames. 

regardless, thames was fun to watch in warmups.   i hope he gets used effectively this coming year, i think he has bigtime potential

HenryB and Fraz like this

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

What to you is the between a SF and a Wing. For me they are the same in the system Ford uses. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

What to you is the between a SF and a Wing. For me they are the same. 

usage, mainly. I agree in all they are practically the same. Wing's typically play out more, and how it sounds Rivera may be used more in the post. 

37 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Thames sounds like Nick Kern. If he bulks up, he could bring his guard skill set to the PF position. And his D was pretty solid as I recall. Of course that was based on very limited observations. 

Thames will have to learn to slow his game down and properly take advantage of his newer size.  Last year, my impression of his time in games was that he looked like a guy whose hair was on fire and was running around looking for a bucket of water.

Thames played a total of 23 minutes last season, 10 against the Mighty Quinn Intramural team.  That leaves 13 minutes of D1 ball in pretty much garbage time.  He played 4 min against Iona and 4 min against Maryland. 

He will be coming into next season with a clean slate.  I don't know how any conclusions can be drawn from his 2022-23 performance.

If he is in fact 6'7", he has to have bulked up some from his listed 200 pounds -  at 6'5"- (on the 22-23 roster).  He might be an alternative to 6'4" 215 lb Hargrove for defending a big opponent in the post.

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

usage, mainly. I agree in all they are practically the same. Wing's typically play out more, and how it sounds Rivera may be used more in the post. 

I'm curious where you heard this.  He was listed last season at 6'6", 210 lb, so it is possible.

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm curious where you heard this.  He was listed last season at 6'6", 210 lb, so it is possible.

Just going off of what a few folks(maybe even just one) posted on here about that, nothing else to go off of. 

HoosierPal likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Wait.  Rivera is 6'6" and 210  pounds.  CJ Noland is 6'2" and 220 pounds.  That don't sound like a power forward to me.  

Rivera is our 5. 

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Rivera is our 5. 

No way.  This is a complete mis characterization of the roster situation. 

Our starting center at the 5 is…the Chinese Bryce Husak 😄

If we don’t start landing players from the portal soon, this year could be worse than the Crews final year 

cheeseman likes this

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

No way.  This is a complete mis characterization of the roster situation. 

Our starting center at the 5 is…the Chinese Bryce Husak 😄

If we don’t start landing players from the portal soon, this year could be worse than the Crews final year 

Yep basically the season is lost on April 16th

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

For what it's worth, Rivera and TJ are listed as forwards on SLUbillikens.com. In these 2 cases, I take that to mean the coaching staff thinks of them as 4s. I dont think it is sane to play either as a 5. 

TJ actually played the 5 for a very few minutes during the season because of foul trouble. I think we got away with it but yes it would not work.