SLU Track

I heard something on radio last week thst a SLu runner had a national best time in something? Is there a schedule of events posted somewhere? The track at Compton Ave. is pretty easy to get to snd they have bleacher seats. It is not as scenic as Wash U track and field but with Top Golf building a block away I could see more people bring aware of track and other sports like baseball or softball. STL Cardinals maybe be an early fizzle if Marmol is starting the season running iff a second center fielder in two years. 

MB73 likes this

https://slubillikens.com/news/2023/3/28/track-field-gillen-named-a-10-performer-of-the-week.aspx

“Gillen ran the fastest time so far in the NCAA this season in the 5,000 meters, finishing in a school and meet record time of 13:35.29.”

MB73 likes this

Here's a few links to Toby Gillen content and yes some shameless self promotion, but we've been talking about him since he started making headlines last year. Bonus: you get an interview with another really good SLU Track athlete Emily Nichols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIBTNrVX1_w

https://t.co/z1dJCCYww6

https://t.co/dPcoHYiR9d

thetorch likes this

10 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

I heard something on radio last week thst a SLu runner had a national best time in something? Is there a schedule of events posted somewhere? The track at Compton Ave. is pretty easy to get to snd they have bleacher seats. It is not as scenic as Wash U track and field but with Top Golf building a block away I could see more people bring aware of track and other sports like baseball or softball. STL Cardinals maybe be an early fizzle if Marmol is starting the season running iff a second center fielder in two years. 

The only home meet this season, was scheduled for 3/31. It was cancelled due to the weather.

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2023 at 9:50 AM, RUBillsFan said:

Hmmmm an Austrialian coming to SLU and having athletics success.  We've seen that before at SLU in a sport that involves a ball and a basket.  Maybe that could happen again.

& vice versa

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Amazing that in all these years of NCAA Track and Field there has never been an athlete from SLU who made the national championship meet until now. Well done Toby Gillen!

Up until 2012, they didn't have a facility on campus....Not all that surprising, if I'm being honest. It's also not a situation where the 'conference champion' makes the regional automatically. They've had regional qualifiers throughout the year.

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

That is an outstanding question. I have no idea

They keep the records from before the 90s in chaifetz in the pep band storage room in some nondescript filing cabinets, so the answer might be there. I've stol... appropriated some really cool memorabilia from the hockey team in the past.

Not trying to answer my own question but if memory serves they added cross country at some point. NCAA sport with limited scholarships. Somebody came up with the idea of let’s let the cross country runners double up and do both. Whatever the reason they seemed to have expanded  and obviously have had success. Good for the department. Still don’t know when. 

Billiken Rich and brianstl like this

2 hours ago, willie said:

Not trying to answer my own question but if memory serves they added cross country at some point. NCAA sport with limited scholarships. Somebody came up with the idea of let’s let the cross country runners double up and do both. Whatever the reason they seemed to have expanded  and obviously have had success. Good for the department. Still don’t know when. 

This doesn't answer your question, but the longest standing T&F record is the men's discus set on 4/18/2009.  So the T&F program predates 4/2009.