2023 Myrtle Beach Invitational - Who's Going

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Games are at the HTC Center on the campus of Coastal, not downtown at Convention Center per ESPN.  

So funny ---- how some people are never happy with the schedule.  What did you expect?  I fully expect a Mizzou- or Fordham-like schedule that they had this year.  Ford and company will get to 20 wins ... guarantee it.  Or it will be close.  This is with a starting lineup of Jimerson, Parker, Hughes, Hargrove and Noland.  Jimerson is the center given that he is the tallest.  On the bench we have Medley, Vice, Rivera and Thames.  Not counting on the chicken Zhang until he is hatched.  

If this is indeed a make-or-break year for Travis, he will need a more ammo then what we have now.  If we get guys from lesser conferences like the OVC, ASUN or Colonial, I see doom and gloom next year masked by a weak schedule.  

So you’re saying we’re basically  trying to put lipstick on a pig this season? No matter, it’s still gonna smell like one. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

This tournament to me is a concession that we can't compete for an NCAA invite next season.

No need to be so defeatist. If you look at recent MTE wins (at neutral sites, not campus games) by A10 at-large invitees, it's a pretty mixed bag.

2018-19 VCU: Beat Temple, lost to St. John's (no Q1 wins)

2020-21 VCU: Beat Utah State and Memphis, lost to Virginia (two Q1 wins)

2021-22 Davidson: Beat Penn and East Carolina, lost to New Mexico State (no Q1 wins)

39 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Games are at the HTC Center on the campus of Coastal, not downtown at Convention Center per ESPN.  

That's unfortunate for fans. HTC Center not really in Myrtle Beach, It's is in Conway, about 15 miles from downtown. So if you not driving in, you will need to rent a car or uber it.

If it was at the Convention Ctr you could have got a place at the beach (dirt cheap in November). Walk to plenty of restaurants and to the Convention Center.

I will be in Myrtle Beach in May for a week.

55 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I never understood the mizzou knock on this. They still played basically an away game at #56 UCF, and played Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa state.  Nothing like Fordham

Mizzou's 2022-23 nonconference schedule from 11/7/22 through and including 12/4/22 consisted of:  Southern Indiana (in its first season in D-1), Penn (should have prepared MU better for Princeton and that boat racing;  we were there in Sacramento), Lindenwood (in its first season in D-1), SIUE, Mississippi Valley State, Coastal Carolina, Houston Christian, @Wichita State, and Southeast Missouri State.  Playing those 8 cupcakes in the first 9 games, all in Boone County, more than qualified Mizzou as a finalist for the '22-'23 Betty Crocker Award.  That was quite a Mizzou scheduling 9 game, 8 cupcake preface to the '22-'23 season, clearly by design.

6 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Mizzou's 2022-23 nonconference schedule from 11/7/22 through and including 12/4/22 consisted of:  Southern Indiana (in its first season in D-1), Penn (should have prepared MU better for Princeton and that boat racing;  we were there in Sacramento), Lindenwood (in its first season in D-1), SIUE, Mississippi Valley State, Coastal Carolina, Houston Christian, @Wichita State, and Southeast Missouri State.  Playing those 8 cupcakes in the first 9 games, all in Boone County, more than qualified Mizzou as a finalist for the '22-'23 Betty Crocker Award.  That was quite a Mizzou scheduling 9 game, 8 cupcake preface to the '22-'23 season, clearly by design.

But isn't it based on game 1 - 12 of occ to determine that? Who cares if the game's was sprinkled throughout, still had to be played. Cant believe im battling for mizzou right now

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

But isn't it based on game 1 - 12 of occ to determine that? Who cares if the game's was sprinkled throughout, still had to be played. Cant believe im battling for mizzou right now

Your post ignored the obvious beginning, the first 3/4. What Mizzou did in terms of scheduling was patently obvious, and it worked. 

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Your post ignored the obvious beginning, the first 3/4. What Mizzou did in terms of scheduling was patently obvious, and it worked. 

Again, I don't care about the first few games.  OOC is based on roughly 12 games.  I'll view the OOC as a whole, doesn't matter the timing of the games.  Selection Sunday committee didn't see that mizzou beat so and so for a Q1 then ask, wait but when was that game played. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Again, I don't care about the first few games.  OOC is based on roughly 12 games.  I'll view the OOC as a whole, doesn't matter the timing of the games.  Selection Sunday committee didn't see that mizzou beat so and so for a Q1 then ask, wait but when was that game played. 

8 cupcake home games of the first 9 is not “the first few games.” We all know what Mizzou did and why Mizzou did it, with a new Coach and largely new team filled with mercenaries. The timing/sequencing of the games most definitely mattered and was by design. 

The Valley Sucks likes this

18 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

8 cupcake home games of the first 9 is not “the first few games.” We all know what Mizzou did and why Mizzou did it, with a new Coach and largely new team filled with mercenaries. The timing/sequencing of the games most definitely mattered and was by design. 

Oh I agree it was by design, and I’d do the same in a heartbeat next year. 

58 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

So fly into Charleston and drive to Myrtle?

Direct into MYR from STL via ATL on Delta is about $355 from 11/16 - 11/20. A little higher into Charleston ($355 on AA). Can’t search SWA this far out, but they might have a better fare calendar. I’ll probably burn some of my work miles I’ll earn up to that point - it isn’t too far of a drive from Wilmington, NC or Charlotte either. 

Box and Won likes this

3 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

KU, Illinois, and Iowa St were built in they had to play them.

That still counts as OOC. the point is, their OOC wasn't as soft as we all(my self included) made it out to be.  Just because you start with cupcakes, doesnt mean the whole thing was cupcakes ---- unlike Fordham. 

3 hours ago, Brighton said:

This attitude is why the men's program will be stuck in neutral, but I guess that's what the older wing of the fanbase wants.

Had no idea it was the older wing of the fanbase that is holding us back. Dang. 

13 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Unpopular opinion: I like it. Like it or not, every one of these schools is at SLU's level and could have beaten us last year. This will be a fantastic barometer for next season.

Another upside is that each team plays three games. Bills fans will get more basketball for their money than any other MTE we've been a part of since Majerus.

17 hours ago, TaLBErt said:

Unpopular opinion: I like it. Like it or not, every one of these schools is at SLU's level and could have beaten us last year. This will be a fantastic barometer for next season.

I’m with you. I think it’s perfect. Myrtle beach is awesome and the Bills need to figure out how to play with basically a completely new identity and team. 
This is the perfect time for a tournament like this. 

This will be much more beneficial than getting throttled by a bunch of high ranking veteran teams.