Welcome, CJ Noland!

wgstl

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Any positive contribution from Thames, MoMo or Rivera would be a pleasant surprise to me.  They all seem to be on the Ingvi, Lorentsson, Diarra, Kramer, Strickland track

Regarding Rivera, seems he has kept a really low profile.  I know he had an injury early on but does anyone know for sure he is still at SLU?  If so, has he been cleared for basketball activities?  If so, has he been at practices doing basketball activities?  Any information on his status would be appreciated.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Regarding Rivera, seems he has kept a really low profile.  I know he had an injury early on but does anyone know for sure he is still at SLU?  If so, has he been cleared for basketball activities?  If so, has he been at practices doing basketball activities?  Any information on his status would be appreciated.

FWIW Rivera still shows up on SLU People Finder: https://ws.slu.edu/peoplefinder/index.php

Edit: FWIW Nick Kramer & Yuri Collins show up on People Finder too.  I'm pretty sure it just means he is a student now or was at some point this year.  It does not necessarily mean he will be on the roster next season.

Edited by RUBillsFan

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I get that, and maybe I'm just overdosing on nostalgia of Jett, McCall and Mitchell. All 3 were equally comfortable on ball as off ball. I would love to have guards who are all capable of protecting the ball and orchestrating offense.

Yea it seems like most of our combo guards of late have been lacking in the “on ball” department — whereas back in the day all 3 of those dudes could bring the ball up with ease. 

This thread is exhibit A of why I hardly ever read this board anymore.  I come looking for talk on the new recruit and all I see are comments about swearing and the role of the university.  I've added 3 posters just from the three page thread to my ignore list.  I hate the ignore function though, I fool myself into thinking maybe just maybe these posters will have something actual to say about Billikens basketball and I am going to miss it.  Its a shame.  We've never had this many obvious trolls on the board mucking it up.  Part of that reason is because they were removed.  Guess that isn't an option anymore.  

This is a great move.  Noland is a perfect player for Ford.  Watch his HS tapes.  He's an unstoppable force towards the basket.  Ok shooter, great defender, with a little explosiveness to his game.  He's not a full time pg but he's an upgrade over what we had last season with Pickett and Perkins.  We will see how much he can develop but I think he's better than Thatch on day 1 (I never thought Thatch was as good as many on the board thought) and has Jordair Jett aspirations.  Coming out of HS that was what was expected of him.  Seems like he wants to get back to that level.  Good start for Ford.

SLU_Nick and majerus mojo like this

We have zero rebounding, zero interior defenders and zero rick protectors.  For those advocating for Cisse and Zhang, I see Traore, Diarra, Hankton, and Anthony.  In other words, nothing of substance.  Ditto the unknown Rivera.  But this signing is another Travis Ford special --- always okay on the guard front.  Bess.  Isabell.  Goodwin.  Collins.  Medley.  This roster is currently weak on the interior.  

Just now, Taj79 said:

We have zero rebounding, zero interior defenders and zero rick protectors.  For those advocating for Cisse and Zhang, I see Traore, Diarra, Hankton, and Anthony.  In other words, nothing of substance.  Ditto the unknown Rivera.  But this signing is another Travis Ford special --- always okay on the guard front.  Bess.  Isabell.  Goodwin.  Collins.  Medley.  This roster is currently weak on the interior.  

This is where I am.  We need to find a DJ Foreman and then im all in for next season 

CJ Noland is an old-school addition that might not jump off the page, but I’m actually very excited for. Came very highly regarded out of HS as a top 100 recruit, and can help give next year’s team a real identity. Had pretty good shooting splits as a freshman at Oklahoma, and some regression this year. If it works out, he could be a really big time addition. Looking forward to defense being back on the menu in Midtown! 

majerus mojo likes this

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

We are set with guards, unless another scholarship opens up and we can get another big time contributor.  Parker, Noland, & Jimerson on the wings with Cian & LHJ at point what else do you want.  Now we need a PF and a C.  Rebounding and rim protection.

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

This thread is exhibit A of why I hardly ever read this board anymore.  I come looking for talk on the new recruit and all I see are comments about swearing and the role of the university.  I've added 3 posters just from the three page thread to my ignore list.  I hate the ignore function though, I fool myself into thinking maybe just maybe these posters will have something actual to say about Billikens basketball and I am going to miss it.  Its a shame.  We've never had this many obvious trolls on the board mucking it up.  Part of that reason is because they were removed.  Guess that isn't an option anymore.  

I hear this. If you look at threads in the last week, there has been much more moderation.

However, I cannot police constantly.  The bad actors know who they are, and if it continues, I will just start suspending people.

28 minutes ago, thetorch said:

This is a great move.  Noland is a perfect player for Ford.  Watch his HS tapes.  He's an unstoppable force towards the basket.  Ok shooter, great defender, with a little explosiveness to his game.  He's not a full time pg but he's an upgrade over what we had last season with Pickett and Perkins.  We will see how much he can develop but I think he's better than Thatch on day 1 (I never thought Thatch was as good as many on the board thought) and has Jordair Jett aspirations.  Coming out of HS that was what was expected of him.  Seems like he wants to get back to that level.  Good start for Ford.

His quickness stands on to me on the OU tape.  Ability to blow by B12 defenders.  I’m excited

5 minutes ago, Fraz said:

His quickness stands on to me on the OU tape.  Ability to blow by B12 defenders.  I’m excited

CJ looks like a great addition. Nice start to the transfer portal, now let’s go after more missing pieces

34 minutes ago, thetorch said:

We are set with guards, unless another scholarship opens up and we can get another big time contributor.  Parker, Noland, & Jimerson on the wings with Cian & LHJ at point what else do you want.  Now we need a PF and a C.  Rebounding and rim protection.

No inside here but I will be surprised if we don’t have at least one scholarship open up. 

12 minutes ago, Fraz said:

This.

We've gotten away from that. Collins, Pickett, Thatch, Goodwin, were/are not as fast as Mitchell, McCall & Jett were.

47 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Robert Jennings played 30 games at Texas Tech last year with about 9 mpg and about 3 ppg.  Also not too impressive.

His per 40 is 9 rebounds a game, currently that would be 3rd on our team. Now take that and add in that this was against a b12 front court and only as a frosh. 

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

His per 40 is 9 rebounds a game, currently that would be 3rd on our team. Now take that and add in that this was against a b12 front court and only as a frosh. 

And the two players ahead of him are gone. I’ll take that rebounding right now. 
Boards and blocks. That’s what we need. 

wgstl likes this

4 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Any positive contribution from Thames, MoMo or Rivera would be a pleasant surprise to me.  They all seem to be on the Ingvi, Lorentsson, Diarra, Kramer, Strickland track

I think Cisse will make more of an impact than Diarra or anyone else on that list. Right now he's our most experienced 5, ahead of Zhang. Even if we sign a transfer Cisse should have have opportunities to contribute.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Exactly. You watch the dance and you will see how the game still goes thru the bigs both on O and D. The bigs either score or kick it out and they’re the last line of D to hold off bigs or penetrators. We need bigs. A legit 5 and a stretch 4. Right now our bigs are 2 FR 1 slightly used SO. Need 2 experienced bigs. 

2 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

I hear this. If you look at threads in the last week, there has been much more moderation.

However, I cannot police constantly.  The bad actors know who they are, and if it continues, I will just start suspending people.

Thank you, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Compton said:

I think Cisse will make more of an impact than Diarra or anyone else on that list. Right now he's our most experienced 5, ahead of Zhang. Even if we sign a transfer Cisse should have have opportunities to contribute.

Hope you’re right, but I saw nothing from MoMo this season that had me calling for him to get more time over Franco or Forrester, and I wasn’t high on either of them.  Now to be fair, MoMo’s minutes were extremely limited.  I saw extremely limited offense, maybe some defensive potential, although he bit on the pump fake almost every time. 

I think we’d be best served using the last two scholarships on two bigs that can contribute immediately. I’d look for one rim protector type, and maybe a stretch four who can defend in the post (Cody Ellis type).  Don’t expect to get anyone as good as Ellis, but someone along those lines.