Welcome, CJ Noland!

wgstl

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Thank you. I assume your source was either someone on the basketball staff, Legend, or Larry Jr. 

So we have two open. Use wisely coach!  

Well if he used one on Noland then he only has one left since Hughes gets one - correct?

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I mean this in no way as a shot at you or your post, but I'm so god damned sick of hearing about who's going to run point or backup point, just get me some guards that can take care of the ball and score. I really don't want another pure pass first PG. That's just this MBMs thought.

by PG, I mean does he a) have handles, and b) see the court well.  I have seen zero minutes of him.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well if he used one on Noland then he only has one left since Hughes gets one - correct?

Nope, two left with Noland. 13 total. This one gets us to eleven

1. Jimerson 2. Hargrove. 3. Parker 4. Cisse 5. Thames 6. Medley 7. Vice. 8. Zhang. 9. Rivera 10. Hughes 11. Noland  

cheeseman likes this

2 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

1. Jimerson 2. Hargrove. 3. Parker 4. Cisse 5. Thames 6. Medley 7. Vice. 8. Zhang. 9. Rivera 10. Hughes 11. Noland  

Thames is one we haven't talked about much lately.  Pre-season, CF thought he could have a role due to his defending.  Maybe a strong off-season will get him back in the mix.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

What we really need in the portal is Mike McCall Jr. - can do a little bit of everything - handle the ball, distribute, shoot 3s, hit free throws, play defense - not flashy, but steady, reliable and versatile.

Thats Noland.  I'd guess his averages will be something like - 7ppg, 1.5 steals, 3 rebounds, 1.6 assists.  While that doesn't sound like a ton, that would be 2nd in assists, and first in steals.  He would also be the 2nd best defender on the team this year behind Fred

20 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

i thought rivera was gone as well?  

25 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Isn't Medley our pass-first PG recruit? It's a pretty important position... 

I get that, and maybe I'm just overdosing on nostalgia of Jett, McCall and Mitchell. All 3 were equally comfortable on ball as off ball. I would love to have guards who are all capable of protecting the ball and orchestrating offense.

majerus mojo likes this

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Thats Noland.  I'd guess his averages will be something like - 7ppg, 1.5 steals, 3 rebounds, 1.6 assists.  While that doesn't sound like a ton, that would be 2nd in assists, and first in steals.  He would also be the 2nd best defender on the team this year behind Fred

I'm envisioning Nolan a bit more of a 2/3 combo. I want a 1/2 combo too. 

billikenfan05 likes this

I did watch Cian Medley in the throne high school tournament. He is quick and likes to pass but shows a little offense with decent technique on free throws. I do like the way he guards the ball; it did look like he disappeared on offense, sometimes- but with TV and highschoolers maybe the boys recruited by Kentucky were not giving him the ball back, anyway

59 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Thames is one we haven't talked about much lately.  Pre-season, CF thought he could have a role due to his defending.  Maybe a strong off-season will get him back in the mix.

Any positive contribution from Thames, MoMo or Rivera would be a pleasant surprise to me.  They all seem to be on the Ingvi, Lorentsson, Diarra, Kramer, Strickland track

SLU_Nick likes this

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Any positive contribution from Thames, MoMo or Rivera would be a pleasant surprise to me.  They all seem to be on the Ingvi, Lorentsson, Diarra, Kramer, Strickland track

Does this happen everywhere as regularly as it feels like it does here? I was pretty surprised that Momo didn't enter the portal. Thames looked like a polished young Hargrove, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with another summer under his belt. We had so much veteran talent, I'm not sure what he would have had to show to crack the rotation even without the accident.

billiken_roy likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Does this happen everywhere as regularly as it feels like it does here? I was pretty surprised that Momo didn't enter the portal. Thames looked like a polished young Hargrove, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with another summer under his belt. We had so much veteran talent, I'm not sure what he would have had to show to crack the rotation even without the accident.

I have no idea. I think maybe it seems like it happens here because Ford routinely overhypes his guys in the off-season. Just out of the players I listed, we heard at various times that Ingvi was the best shooter on our roster, Lorentsson was one of the best looking players in summer practice before his sophomore season,  Thames was probably gonna get serious game time, and Strickland was an NBA level athlete (maybe true, but he still couldn’t crack the rotation.)   We then saw none of those guys get a fair shot to join the rotation.   Since his second year here, we’ve heard constantly about how we are gonna play fast and play 10-11 guys deep, and have incredible depth, but once the season starts Ford usually settles on 8 or so main guys.  Leaves a lot of guys who thought they’d be getting game time on the bench getting zero. 

Coach314 and Schasz like this

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

Isn't Medley our pass-first PG recruit? It's a pretty important position... 

Yes. Medley is that guy and it’s a very important position on the roster. Can’t believe anyone would suggest you don’t need a point guard. 

7 minutes ago, DOC said:

Yes. Medley is that guy and it’s a very important position on the roster. Can’t believe anyone would suggest you don’t need a point guard. 

Why don’t you @ me next time? I want more than just one point guard we rely on. I want guys who can pass and play off the ball.

Our lack of an NCAA tournament appearance would indicate we should probably move away from having a workhorse point guard that plays 36 min a game 

Interesting new "Two Man Game" from Rocc and Rammer.

Good stuff about Noland and Jimerson.  Starts at 1:30.  Rammer on Noland "I'm not sure where he fits".  Rocc, "Need to focus on his big body and his good defense. "

Rammer on next season's PG.  "Hughes is not your Point Guard, Medley is your PG. Maybe Hughes will be his backup or maybe they pick up a vet in the portal."

Rammer "Perimeter Player Depth Chart is full."

Both were surprised and delighted that Jimerson is returning.  Rammer "I thought he was gone."

On the depth chart and the roster, Rammer "the 4 guard lineup didn't work too well last season."

Rammer "the portal is still wide open.  As the roster sits today I don't see it.  The roster won't be the way it is now in six weeks."

BuiltFordBills likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

What about all A-10 defender Yuri “handcuff” Collins?