Welcome, CJ Noland!

wgstl

• wgstl changed the title to Welcome, CJ Noland!
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Porter Moser will have to reload Noland has potential and the size Ford likes in his guards: 229 pounds supposedly. If he can get after the ball like Fred Thatch Jr we could use help.

A former Top 100 men’s basketball entered the NCAA’s transfer portal.

C.J. Noland will intend to transfer from the Oklahoma Sooners. Noland, who was once ranked 87th on 247Sports’ Composite Rankings in 2021, will now be on the move after two years of fairly limited action.

“The proof was in the pudding with the great relationship I have with Coach Ford,” Noland told 247Sports. “He has had a lot of great guards with my ability and has had a lot of success with them. He sat down and showed me where I am at with my career and what I need to do. They also need me as much as I need them and that is why I wanted to be Billiken.”

“He is going to get me where I want to go,” Noland continued. “We want to do this thing together and we have built a great relationship over the past three to four weeks.”

Noland additionally says assistant coach Phil Forte played a huge role in his decision as well. Forte and Noland’s relationship date back to Noland’s high school days when Forte offered and recruited Noland as a member of the Sam Houston State staff. 

“Coach Phil played a big part in my decision as well,” Noland said. “With me and him having that relationship from the time he was at Sam Houston, there were a lot of ironic things that have happened now that he is at Saint Louis. God led me there.”

Noland chose the Billikens after hearing from Georgia Southern, Houston, Texas Tech, and other programs in the transfer portal. He recently completed an official visit to Saint Louis last week and said he was excited and eager to learn about a program that focuses primarily on basketball. 

“I would most definitely say the arena was my biggest takeaway because they do not have a football program,” Noland said. “I wanted to learn more about the program and how it is centered around basketball. That is really cool to me. They also showed me how I would fit, how I play, and the play style that they play. My playstyle matches their identity and I want to get back to that.”

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Is Hughes Jr on Scholarship next season?  Has it been announced or assumed?

If he is on, we have 2 open.  If he is not, we have 3 open.

DESPERATELY need someone (or someTWO) who can rebound and defend the rim. 

Obviously Hughes has (or should have) more than enough ability to pay his way. However there used to be different rules as far as walk ons vs scholarship players when it came to travel with the team, workouts, etc. I don't know if those are still rules or if they are treated equally to scholarship players now. 

2 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I keep reading that Noland and Jennings are connected. What’s the connection between them?

Both from south Dallas. I too keep seeing that they are pretty connected, but don't have more than that. 

SLURadioBoy likes this

5 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Obviously Hughes has (or should have) more than enough ability to pay his way. However there used to be different rules as far as walk ons vs scholarship players when it came to travel with the team, workouts, etc. I don't know if those are still rules or if they are treated equally to scholarship players now. 

Good point.  I don't know either. 

I do remember that All-American Doug McDermontt was a 'walk on' his senior year at Creighton.  He gave up his scholarship to player who had been granted a 6th year of eligibility, but Creighton was out of schollies. 

EDIT:  I looked it up. 

Preferred walk-ons (and from now on I'm including recruited walk-ons in this category for simplicity's sake) are often treated no differently than scholarship players.

I have not been keeping up on the transfer portal gossip. 

The intended role of previous recent transfers was obvious to me:

Andre (backup PG),   Okoro (starting 5),   Forrester (backup 5),   Rashad Williams (3pt shooting)

What is the predicted role for CJ?  Can he run point?  combo guard?   shut-down defender?

I did not see much of OU this year, and do not recall seeing CJ.

5 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I'm not hip on the rules, but pretty sure travel, workouts and all are the same now.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I have been told he will be on scholarship. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Andre (backup PG),   Okoro (starting 5),   Forrester (backup 5),   Rashad Williams (3pt shooting)

What is the predicted role for CJ?  Can he run point?  combo guard?   shut-down defender?

He can handle the point, not sure its ideal for him to be running it though. A CG is probably more fitting. He a balanced player, decent passer, decent ball handling, can get steals. He's probably the best guard defender we're had the last 2 years(minus fred). 

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Another way to get transfers is through NIL.  Scholarship numbers are not as tight when players can get NIL money to covers all expenses.

4 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

I mean this in no way as a shot at you or your post, but I'm so god damned sick of hearing about who's going to run point or backup point, just get me some guards that can take care of the ball and score. I really don't want another pure pass first PG. That's just this MBMs thought.

Soderball likes this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I mean this in no way as a shot at you or your post, but I'm so god damned sick of hearing about who's going to run point or backup point, just get me some guards that can take care of the ball and score. I really don't want another pure pass first PG. That's just this MBMs thought.

I don't have a problem with that, but currently only LHJ has a positive ast/TO ratio.  

Bills By 40 likes this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Thank you. I assume your source was either someone on the basketball staff, Legend, or Larry Jr. 

So we have two open. Use wisely coach!  

I believe Ford(or staff) mentioned early in the season last year that it was a one year thing. Given how LHJ played, he more than earned it.  So for me, just going off those 2 things he will be on scholarship. 

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Isn't Medley our pass-first PG recruit? It's a pretty important position... 

Bills By 40 likes this