Gibson Jimerson Returning?

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

so doc, you arent a jimerson fan i take it?    because i think the jimerson no defense was an inaccurate assessment.  by year end i thought jimmerson was our best guard defender.   it sure as hell wasnt our all defensive team point guard that got torched by acey for almost 40 points.  

No. I’m a big fan and didn’t say anything about GJ playing no defense. I agree he was much improved and better than Yuri and Perkins, but those 2 really hurt our ability to stop players from getting to the basket, making our team defense hard to watch. Hughes was our best perimeter defender. I think he should play less because Ford simply played him too many minutes. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gibbys defense isn't great, as a whole.  He shows flashes of actually being a plus defender, but its not consistent. That said, His defense wasn't the problem this year. 

Add a defensive PG and guard alongside his offense and everything will be just fine.  His Box score was +2.5 so he is outscoring what he's letting up. 

If he can work on just getting a step quicker, that will go a long way. 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

so doc, you arent a jimerson fan i take it?    because i think the jimerson no defense was an inaccurate assessment.  by year end i thought jimmerson was our best guard defender.   it sure as hell wasnt our all defensive team point guard that got torched by acey for almost 40 points.  

Zac, I would have to disagree on that one.  Hughes was our best guard defender at the end of the season, IMHO. GJ improved alot, but Hughes was superior.

mhg

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree roy, he kept proper position, stayed in front of his man, etc. wasnt flashy with the steals, but that is a small part of overall defense, imo he was our best defender

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

good observation, Roy...

2 hours ago, Matty Light said:

Hughes was probably our best freshman defender since Goodwin.

He had a 2.2 defensive box +/- (DBPM), which is quite good... his DRating was less impressive, but that is a bit more of a team stat.

For context, Goodwin's freshman year DBPM was 3.2 - Fred's this year was 3.1. Goodwin's worst (Junior) season had him at 2.4...

Bizziken likes this

18 minutes ago, Zink said:

He had a 2.2 defensive box +/- (DBPM), which is quite good... his DRating was less impressive, but that is a bit more of a team stat.

For context, Goodwin's freshman year DBPM was 3.2 - Fred's this year was 3.1. Goodwin's worst (Junior) season had him at 2.4...

Interesting. I would be curious to know the rating for Hasahn French that freshman year and whether the rating is different for front court players. Do you happen to know?

3 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Interesting. I would be curious to know the rating for Hasahn French that freshman year and whether the rating is different for front court players. Do you happen to know?

+1.3.  

10 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Hasahn was at 2.3 his frosh year.

Check stats here: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/hasahn-french-1.html

Matty Light likes this

57 minutes ago, Zink said:

Hughes Jr had a lot of deflections.  Are those included in the DBPM? 

I know the Staff counts deflections, and I'll venture that Hughes Jr lead the team in deflections per 40 minutes. 

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Jimerson isn't a great defender. He's not very quick though he does have some height. None of that matters. The problem wasn't Jimerson's defensive lack, it was that noone else could play defense either.

Jimerson has a one dimensional game -- and it so happens that his dimension is the single most important skill in basketball.

DOC likes this

These stats sum up Jimerson.  Pretty much 13% of his shots were 'mid range' jumpers of which he hit 37.5%.  The % assisted on all categories tells me he needs to work on getting his own shot.

Name

FGA

TS%

eFG%

% shots at rim

FG% at rim

%assisted at rim

% shots 2pt J

FG% 2pt Jumpers

%assisted 2pt J

%of shots 3pt

3FG%

%assisted 3s

FTA/FGA

FT%

Jimerson, Gibson

56.4%

29.0%

60.6%

77.8%

13.4%

37.5%

61.1%

57.7%

39.1%

92.6%

13.9%

82.0%

On 3/31/2023 at 9:42 AM, wgstl said:

I think Gibbys defense isn't great, as a whole.  He shows flashes of actually being a plus defender, but its not consistent. That said, His defense wasn't the problem this year. 

Add a defensive PG and guard alongside his offense and everything will be just fine.  His Box score was +2.5 so he is outscoring what he's letting up. 

If he can work on just getting a step quicker, that will go a long way. 

What % of a team’s defensive success comes from a coach’s disciplined approach and X’s and O’s strategy vs. an incoming player being a defender?

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

Let Travis design an offense around spacing and Gibby outscores his man every game. Like Highmark said about Spoon, outscore your man. Our offensive schemes suck. It’s about quick passes not dribbling around the perimeter. 

Great idea but why would Ford have not already done this?

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Where did our offense rank in the A10 last year?????

This is like asking, “Who is the skinniest person in overwaters anonymous?”

The answer is SLU had the best offense in a one-bid league…..finishing around 63rd nationally on offensive efficiency per KenPom…