SDSU

Brighton

Instead of looking at Gonzaga for a model of consistency, we need to focus our attention to San Diego St. They too are in an urban setting, but have gotten to this point with backing from the BOT, donors, and fanbase. None of which SLU has nor has had in my lifetime. That must change, otherwise we'll be stuck in mediocrity forever.

slu92 likes this

13 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Instead of looking at Gonzaga for a model of consistency, we need to focus our attention to San Diego St. They too are in an urban setting, but have gotten to this point with backing from the BOT, donors, and fanbase. None of which SLU has nor has had in my lifetime. That must change, otherwise we'll be stuck in mediocrity forever.

Good point where I would disagree a bit is that SDSU is a big school - almost 35K student enrollment.  Gonzaga student enrollment is a little over 7K.  We have a little over 12K so we are much closer to the Zags set up.

29 minutes ago, Brighton said:

never forget the blueprint for the rise of san diego state basketball was steve fisher.   one of the biggest cheaters in ncaa history.   how much of that influence still lingers we dont know but still...........

18 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Roughly speaking, SDSU and University of Sam Diego are more similar to University of Cincinnati, and Xavier. It’s a big public school in the same city as a smaller private school. 

SLU would be USD and X. 

USD has 4 NCAA Tourneys ever. Xavier has 29. 

SDSU is also of course a football school. They have a new $310 million football stadium that also hosts other sports. They had over 30k this weekend for San Diego Wave (Women’s Professional Soccer team)

But just to play along, you could say it took a while for Steve Fisher and Brian Dutcher to build at San Diego St., beginning 24 years ago. 12 of their 15 ever NCAA Tourney appearances in Men’s hoops have been in those 24 years. 10 in the past 13 years. 

3 minutes ago, courtside said:

Roughly speaking, SDSU and University of Sam Diego are more similar to University of Cincinnati, and Xavier. It’s a big public school in the same city as a smaller private school. 

SLU would be USD and X. 

USD has 4 NCAA Tourneys ever. Xavier has 29. 

SDSU is also of course a football school. They have a new $310 million football stadium that also hosts other sports. They had over 30k this weekend for San Diego Wave (Women’s Professional Soccer team)

But just to play along, you could say it took a while for Steve Fisher and Brian Dutcher to build at San Diego St., beginning 24 years ago. 12 of their 15 ever NCAA Tourney appearances in Men’s hoops have been in those 24 years. 10 in the past 13 years. 

USD has the prettier campus.

27 minutes ago, Brighton said:

backing from the BOT, donors, and fanbase. None of which SLU has nor has had in my lifetime.

The donors supported Ford's signing, probably some of Ford's requested facilities upgrades (locker rooms, etc...), likely the re-signing of Coach Bailey, maybe keeping Yuri, the list goes on. A $20m center for athletic excellence is being built right now. We play in one of, if not the, nicest, newest purpose-built on-campus arenas in the conference (if not college basketball). We also consistently have among the highest attendance in the A10. These all reflect the support of donors and the fanbase (not sure about BoT, I can't really speak to that).

53 minutes ago, Brighton said:

you're right. SDSU is a better comp, especially considering their team is built the way Fords foundation is.  Im still a little hesitant about comps with schools that have football, tho. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

you're right. SDSU is a better comp, especially considering their team is built the way Fords foundation is.  Im still a little hesitant about comps with schools that have football, tho. 

I’d argue that because of football, the Mountain West is also viewed by recruits and media as being a superior conference to the A10, fair or not.  They have put BYU and TCU in the Big 12 and Utah in the Pac-12, which is significant (especially Big 12).  I doubt anyone much cares that a couple A10 teams went to the big east. 

16 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’d argue that because of football, the Mountain West is also viewed by recruits and media as being a superior conference to the A10, fair or not.  They have put BYU and TCU in the Big 12 and Utah in the Pac-12, which is significant (especially Big 12).  I doubt anyone much cares that a couple A10 teams went to the big east. 

this is all correct.  The only reason I think SDSU is a better comp than Gonzaga is because They aren't an annual power house like Gonzaga, and this team is a bunch of 3 star  recruits and players who dominated at lower levels, or players buried in power conferences.  We can get both of those type of transfers. 

That said it wasn't built overnight. Making the tourney a few years in a row is what sets this up. 

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

never forget the blueprint for the rise of san diego state basketball was steve fisher.   one of the biggest cheaters in ncaa history.   how much of that influence still lingers we dont know but still...........

Ed Martin would have had a field day in this day and age…and Fischer would probably still be in Ann Arbor and the banners would still be hanging in Crisler Arena…