OT: USMNT Call Up for CONCACAF Nations League

The US men’s national team have called in 24 players for two Concacaf Nations League games at the end of March – the program’s first camp with a full complement of players available (official FIFA international window) since the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

GOALKEEPERS (3)

• Ethan Horvath - Luton Town
  • Zack Steffen - Middlesbrough
  • Matt Turner - Arsenal

DEFENDERS (8)

• Sergiño Dest - AC Milan
  • Mark McKenzie - Genk
  • Tim Ream - Fulham
  • Bryan Reynolds - Westerlo
  • Antonee Robinson - Fulham
  • Miles Robinson - Atlanta United
  • Joe Scally - Borussia Mönchengladbach
  • Auston Trusty - Birmingham City

MIDFIELDERS (6)

• Brenden Aaronson - Leeds United
  • Johnny Cardoso - Internacional
  • Luca de la Torre - Celta Vigo
  • Weston McKennie - Leeds United
  • Yunus Musah - Valencia
  • Alan Soñora - Juárez

FORWARDS (7)

• Taylor Booth - Utrecht
  • Daryl Dike - West Bromwich Albion
  • Ricardo Pepi - Groningen
  • Christian Pulisic - Chelsea
  • Gio Reyna - Borussia Dortmund
  • Tim Weah - Lille
  • Alex Zendejas - Club América

Concacaf Nations League games

Hudson said he only called Miles Robinson in from the MLS as other MLS players will have to miss League games in the June / July window.  Tyler Adams was left off due to a hammy injury.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, willie said:

Why was Sargent not called?

He did miss a couple of games recently due to injury, but he did play in the latest Norwich City FC game.  Maybe he’s not 100%?  The Concacaf games are coming up this month, he needs to be 100% now to contribute. That’s just speculation on my part. Article was Feb 20th:

Norwich City has two important English Football League Championship home matches over the next five days but American striker Josh Sargent won’t be available for either of them. 

Canaries manager David Wagner confirmed Monday that Sargent will be sidelined to an ankle injury, which occurred in Saturday’s goal-less draw with Wigan Athletic. The U.S. men’s national team striker recently scored his 11th league goal of the season last week, but will miss Tuesday’s match vs. Birmingham City and Saturday’s match vs. Cardiff City due to his recent injury.

“Josh has an ankle injury, so unfortunately he will be out of tomorrow’s game, and then the game at the weekend,” Wagner said in his pre-match press conference.

Interesting comments from Pulisic on the Reyna - Berhalter drama.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4901388/christian-pulisic-berhalter-reyna-post-world-cup-drama-was-childish

"Everything that happened with Gregg, first of all, has been handled in an extremely childish manner. I think we've seen what's been going on. I think it's childish, it's youth soccer, people complaining about playing time. I don't want to go too far into that, but I think Gregg has been extremely unfortunate to get into the position he is in now."

Gremio14 likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

OT on the OT, but is Kroenke too small?  He could lose the WC final if he can't enlarge.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2023/03/19/sofi-stadium-los-angeles-2026-world-cup-final-host-in-jeopardy-per-report

Kroenke spent all that money to be able to host world class events like this when they come up, yet didn’t bother to make sure what was designed could accommodate them?

Sounds on brand for Kroenke, actually;

SLU_Lax likes this

Summary of investigation of Berhalter and Reyna circus.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2023/03/13/us-soccer-reveals-findings-investigation-gregg-berhalter-reyna-usmnt

Investigators found that neither Berhalter nor his brother, Jay, the former U.S. Soccer executive, misled the federation during the 2018 USMNT hiring process. No background check would’ve covered it, and “none of the questions posed to Mr. Berhalter during the … hiring process would have required him to disclose information regarding the 1992 incident.” And they determined that Berhalter poses no threat to anyone inside or outside U.S. Soccer and that “there is no basis to conclude that the hiring or employment of Mr. Berhalter would subject U.S. Soccer or any other employer to potential liability … tied to the fact of the 1992 incident.”

— Alston & Bird said they were “less than impressed with the Reynas’ cooperation during the investigation.” Attorneys had two “brief” phone conversations with Danielle on Dec. 29. She denied ever speaking with Stewart on Dec. 11 but then called back and acknowledged the conversation. “Rosalind said there was an altercation. They got back together. They put it to bed. We never talked about it again once they got back together. She never talked about it again,” she told investigators. Claudio Reyna, meanwhile, refused to meet with investigators.

— The Reynas had a history of complaining to U.S. Soccer officials dating back to 2016, when Gio was a New York City FC academy player and a member of the U.S. U-15 team. Claudio complained about a red card issued to Gio and sent an email asking that it be overturned. A July 2018 email expressed dissatisfaction with a female referee appointed for one of Gio’s games. “And in all honest [sic] can we get real and have male refs for a game like this. Its embarrassing guys. What are we trying to prove? A game like this deserves bett[e]r attention,” Reyna wrote.

8 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Sounds like Gio has children for parents. US Soccer does not need this stuff.

“The report also identifies a need to revisit U.S. Soccer’s policies concerning appropriate parental conduct and communications with staff at the national team level. We will be updating those policies as we continue to work to ensure safe environments for all participants in our game.”

Yeah, the Reyna's didn't come off too well in the investigation.

32 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Folarin Balogun withdrew from England U-21 roster, and is in Orlando currently.  Word is (not sure if confirmed) he will be in attendance for the home game next week, as well as possibly around the team in camp. He would be a massive recruiting victory. 

My favorite part of this Flo in Orlando story is that people identified his IG pic as being in Orlando because of the dog bar with the slogan, “I’m Here to Chase Tail” painted on the building in the background. And yes, massive victory if he jumps to the USMNT. Welcome home, Jerry!

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Summary of investigation of Berhalter and Reyna circus.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2023/03/13/us-soccer-reveals-findings-investigation-gregg-berhalter-reyna-usmnt

Investigators found that neither Berhalter nor his brother, Jay, the former U.S. Soccer executive, misled the federation during the 2018 USMNT hiring process. No background check would’ve covered it, and “none of the questions posed to Mr. Berhalter during the … hiring process would have required him to disclose information regarding the 1992 incident.” And they determined that Berhalter poses no threat to anyone inside or outside U.S. Soccer and that “there is no basis to conclude that the hiring or employment of Mr. Berhalter would subject U.S. Soccer or any other employer to potential liability … tied to the fact of the 1992 incident.”

— Alston & Bird said they were “less than impressed with the Reynas’ cooperation during the investigation.” Attorneys had two “brief” phone conversations with Danielle on Dec. 29. She denied ever speaking with Stewart on Dec. 11 but then called back and acknowledged the conversation. “Rosalind said there was an altercation. They got back together. They put it to bed. We never talked about it again once they got back together. She never talked about it again,” she told investigators. Claudio Reyna, meanwhile, refused to meet with investigators.

— The Reynas had a history of complaining to U.S. Soccer officials dating back to 2016, when Gio was a New York City FC academy player and a member of the U.S. U-15 team. Claudio complained about a red card issued to Gio and sent an email asking that it be overturned. A July 2018 email expressed dissatisfaction with a female referee appointed for one of Gio’s games. “And in all honest [sic] can we get real and have male refs for a game like this. Its embarrassing guys. What are we trying to prove? A game like this deserves bett[e]r attention,” Reyna wrote.

It’s a shame. All of this could’ve been avoided if Greg played his best player.

6 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It’s a shame. All of this could’ve been avoided if Greg played his best player.

Could also have been avoided if Gio’s parents evolved beyond 12 years old mentally and emotionally.  I’d take Gio on my team, and I’d never exchange a word with his parents.

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Could also have been avoided if Gio’s parents evolved beyond 12 years old mentally and emotionally.  I’d take Gio on my team, and I’d never exchange a word with his parents.

Yeah I’m no fan of Gregg, but the Reynas tried to destroy his LIFE by leaking the stuff from 30 years ago or whenever it was.  Not ok whatsoever. 

Not a lot to draw from the 7-1 thumping of Grenada, except Grenada isn't very good.

Pulisic was phenomenal, controlling the game.  He had two assists and a goal that was a total muff by the Grenada GK.  But Pulisic sizzled!

Reyna might as well stayed on the bench.  He played about 60 minutes with no impact on the game.  The announcers said maybe he should have been on the wing instead of the midfield where he was slotted.  I'm sure his parents will address that issue with the USMNT.

El Salvador will be a better test on Monday.

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Reyna might as well stayed on the bench.  He played about 60 minutes with no impact on the game.  The announcers said maybe he should have been on the wing instead of the midfield where he was slotted.  I'm sure his parents will address that issue with the USMNT.

LOL! They will probably try!

I hope Reyna isn’t letting his parents stuff interfere with his game. Their crap is not his. Oh well, we’ll see what the El Salvador game shows. Anyone can have an off night, and it didn’t matter what he did when the US won by 6 goals.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

LOL! They will probably try!

I hope Reyna isn’t letting his parents stuff interfere with his game. Their crap is not his. Oh well, we’ll see what the El Salvador game shows. Anyone can have an off night, and it didn’t matter what he did when the US won by 6 goals.

On the pregame show, the panel was not very kind to Gio.  They said his behavior at the WC was immature and unprofessional.  Their words, not mine.  They also said to put this behind us and move forward, as the USMNT needs a vintage Reyna.

Two different half's for the Red, White and Blue.  First half against El Salvador they were listless.  At halftime Hudson made a tactical switch moving the wings higher up the pitch, and it was a different team in the second half, winning the match 1-0 and moving into the Finals of the Concacaf Nations Cup.  Good to see Miles Robinson back at center back after his year long absence with a torn achilles. The back line of Robinson, Ream, Robinson and Dest was solid particularly in the second half when they had more ground to cover with the wings higher.

brianstl likes this

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

OT on the OT:  Billiken Alum Tim Ream suffered a broken arm in Fulham’s 2-1 home English Premier League loss to Manchester City

Ya it was ugly, Julian missed the ball and kicked reams arm while ream was on the ground 

10 hours ago, wgstl said:

Ya it was ugly, Julian missed the ball and kicked reams arm while ream was on the ground 

He is 'likely out' for the rest of the Fulham season, which pretty much is the month of May. I wonder if he will be called up for the USMNT for the June Nations League or Gold Cup series.  I doubt he can keep his form with minimal soccer activity.

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Any chance he may want to transfer next year to finish out his career in his home town?

If he's not playing through a broken arm, do we even want him? It's not like it's his leg. This generation is so soft.

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If he's not playing through a broken arm, do we even want him? It's not like it's his leg. This generation is so soft.

Dunno........I remember Cowboy, Ken Norton making the Pro-bowl as a linebacker with a completely torn bicep.  He had to tackle people not just throw the ball in every once in a while......