2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

2 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Young St. Louis area HS players aren't stupid...they see the product on the court year after year and obviously the majority go elsewhere. Are folks on this board ignorant enough to believe that what SLU fans have to say about Ford keeps them from signing on at SLU. Please don't tell me that anyone on here is that naive. Results or non results on the court are what the good players are watching. I'll continue watching and rooting for the team with very meager expectations things will improve under the present setup both HC and AD. I am a fan and an Alum. I donate money to SLU so I feel that entitles me to have a Strong opinions. Wonder how many of you making snarky remarks about me can say the same (maybe a few). I'll continue voicing my opinion regardless! You don't have to tell me what you think and if your comments about me are too ridiculous you'll be added to my ignore List!

You made a fool of yourself if you don’t think public reaction to a product doesn’t make a difference… ask any business man if it does..what you are doing is trying to excuse your lame behavior…

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, slu92 said:

1. We get a better coach, who can recruit and actually coach. 2. We make more than 1 NCAA in last 9 seasons. There is nothing to promote for next season. If you think Travis Ford is going to build a super team with transfers, you are delusional. At this point I don’t care if you defend the guy. I’ll save this post and a year from now when they can afford his buyout and he’s fired then you can defend Travis Ford. I hope I’m wrong and we do great next year, I really do but I’m not seeing it. It bums me out bc I love going to games and watching good basketball. Again I don’t care who is AD or coach, I just want us to win! 

Thanks for confirming that your are not a fan and are actively trying to hurt the program… couldn’t be clearer…

8 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I think one problem is that a majority of the the fan base still consider a 20 win season an accomplishment.

May and Pestello realize this and they can use 20 wins to rally a large part of the fan base even though in todays game 20 wins doesn’t mean much. 

you are correct it doesnt mean as much but still puts you in top third, bulk of 20 wins go to p6 that fatten the win total with cupcakes, 20 wins is still not to be scoffed at

I’m still holding out 1% hope that our “program savior rebel” team of donors is negotiating in the back ground with the FAU coach ready to back up the brinks truck. 

no amount of May or Pestello media puff pieces will convince me that Ford is the answer.  We had more talent on the court for all our games except for maybe 3, and we lost 12 games. 

looking forward to taking Fordham’s approach next year with the a bottom 200 sos schedule and this board acting like a 12-2 start proves my position wrong. 

the program is at an inflection point and our school leadership is taking the easy road out. 

TheA_Bomb and Bizziken like this

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I think one problem is that a majority of the the fan base still consider a 20 win season an accomplishment.

I'm not so sure the majority believes this. This is a weird indication but they hosted a parent and family trivia last night with an auction that included a jersey signed by Ford. Apparently there were no bids for most of the night and it finally went for $60/$70. Brutal.

Gremio14 likes this

1 hour ago, slu92 said:

How is he not a fan?! Just because you point out the obvious doesn’t mean you are a hater. I don’t know Chris May or Travis Ford personally so I don’t “hate” them. What I do hate is delusional thinking that these guys can turn this around in year 8! Just bc his opinion differs doesn’t mean he’s a troll or a hater. May and Ford are only still at SLU bc they can’t go anywhere else. Nobody wants them. When you are Travis Ford and a coach you actually have owned in the A10 (not many of those) gets a Big East job over you, you’ve got to look at yourself in the mirror. Again it’s because nobody else wants him but it’s good enough for slu. That’s the frustration of many fans. Chris May and Travis Ford are the epitome of mediocre. Rinse and repeat next season of mbb. All the talk of winning championships only applies to volleyball and wbb bc those coaches are low hanging fruit to Chris May. Spine of a jellyfish…..Jellyfish Chris has a ring to it….

You’re not a troll or a hater for your opinion. When you post your same comments over and over and over and over you are a troll. Show some respect for your fellow board members and add something to the board. Supporting him is laughable. 

23 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I'm not so sure the majority believes this. This is a weird indication but they hosted a parent and family trivia last night with an auction that included a jersey signed by Ford. Apparently there were no bids for most of the night and it finally went for $60/$70. Brutal.

LOL!

35 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Is this really true? If so sad.

Bagdad Bob, I mean AD May is trying to put lipstick on this pig. He'll be doing it while the tanks, I mean big money donors are in the background rolling in. 

As for Pestello he's clueless about sports he can't spell NCAA and he thinks a Shooting Guard is something he outlawed in the Clocktower Accords.

13 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I mean, my mom bid on something since it was an online and in person auction and she told me because she thought I'd find it funny. 😂

24 minutes ago, willie said:

Look it is too expensive to buy Ford out. What should May and Fred say. While you might quibble over a word here or there they are doing what they should. Support your coach and hope he gets it right. 

Nothing you say is wrong but the problem is if everyone who is not happy simply sits down and shuts up then no change can ever take place.  May and Pesty need to know and understand that there are some in the village who are keeping their pitch forks close by and sharpening the points just in case.  I can assure you that May will not sacrifice his job for Ford if the winds tell him differently.  He is not the type to do that - Levick was and look what she got.  She showed more spine even if it was probably not the best for her.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

May and Pestello realize this and they can use 20 wins to rally a large part of the fan base even though in todays game 20 wins doesn’t mean much. 

I disagree at least for the posters on here. I’d guess 95% of the posters see success as making the dance about 60% of the time. That’s 3 selections every 5 years for anyone who’s math challenged.I’d argue 20 W’s every year and not dancing is viewed as a mediocre year by most fans on here. Hell, most even ***** about an NIT bid. After the letdown this season became has raised more consternation than in years past because Covid and injuries were acceptable excuses. But this year was a no excuses season, and if we couldn’t dance with this team will we ever? 

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Thanks for confirming that your are not a fan and are actively trying to hurt the program… couldn’t be clearer…

I’ve been a season ticket holder since 2010! You are a fool. Seriously. You are right, I point out the obvious and I’m the problem. You’ve exposed me. I’m trying my best to hurt program by donating money and buying season tickets every year. How did you figure all this out? Great detective work! 

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

I disagree at least for the posters on here. I’d guess 95% of the posters see success as making the dance about 60% of the time. That’s 3 selections every 5 years for anyone who’s math challenged.I’d argue 20 W’s every year and not dancing is viewed as a mediocre year by most fans on here. Hell, most even ***** about an NIT bid. After the letdown this season became has raised more consternation than in years past because Covid and injuries were acceptable excuses. But this year was a no excuses season, and if we couldn’t dance with this team will we ever? 

Very well said and in a much better way than I’ve been able to articulate! 

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

You are both right. Majority was probably the wrong word.

A chunk of the fan base still believes this and that’s who May and Pestello will rally behind. 

1 hour ago, DOC said:

You’re not a troll or a hater for your opinion. When you post your same comments over and over and over and over you are a troll. Show some respect for your fellow board members and add something to the board. Supporting him is laughable. 

Show respect and YOU are the one name calling? Go read and post in a different thread, seriously. Your act is as old as mine too I guess. Better yet why don’t you donate money to program, if you do or did then you should be as upset as myself and a lot of other fans. Show some respect….lol. 

This situation is not unlike many others.  Those who are satisfied with things want those who are not to not exist - Billiken land love it or leave it.  The problem is that productive change never comes without some group who is not afraid to confront those who don't.  In time productive change will win out - always does in time. Should  Ford makes all he necessary improvements in his coaching, game strategy and use of the portal to be successful it would not have happened unless those wanting productive change did not surface.  Those who are satisfied with things will never admit that the pressure that was applied was part of the solution.  They simply crow about how right they were and that staying the course was the best way.  The problem is that Ford needs to hear the dissent or else he has little motivation to improve that is simply human nature.  Either way, change only comes when dissatisfaction occurs.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Bagdad Bob, I mean AD May is trying to put lipstick on this pig. He'll be doing it while the tanks, I mean big money donors are in the background rolling in. 

As for Pestello he's clueless about sports he can't spell NCAA and he thinks a Shooting Guard is something he outlawed in the Clocktower Accords.

This board has gotten so pathetic… sounds like a bunch of school girls at a sleepover….imagine an ad supporting his head coach… 

billikenbill and AGB91 like this

2 hours ago, willie said:

You are hard to please. Maybe this is faint praise but Fred has supported our program more than any SLU president before him. 

You're right, I am. Just because Pestello shows up at games, does his fellow kids routine in the student section and sits courtside, doesn't mean he is capable as a university president when it comes to athletics.

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This situation is not unlike many others.  Those who are satisfied with things want those who are not to not exist - Billiken land love it or leave it.  The problem is that productive change never comes without some group who is not afraid to confront those who don't.  In time productive change will win out - always does in time. Should  Ford makes all he necessary improvements in his coaching, game strategy and use of the portal to be successful it would not have happened unless those wanting productive change did not surface.  Those who are satisfied with things will never admit that the pressure that was applied was part of the solution.  They simply crow about how right they were and that staying the course was the best way.  The problem is that Ford needs to hear the dissent or else he has little motivation to improve that is simply human nature.  Either way, change only comes when dissatisfaction occurs.

Cheeseman portraying himself as a martyr… what next…

19 minutes ago, slu92 said:

I’ve been a season ticket holder since 2010! You are a fool. Seriously. You are right, I point out the obvious and I’m the problem. You’ve exposed me. I’m trying my best to hurt program by donating money and buying season tickets every year. How did you figure all this out? Great detective work! 

Easy, I read your very own words… if you’re a fan, I can only imagine what a detractor would be like… 

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

But why do you think having the same group of people say the same thing over and over is helpful? Many posters on here agree with you and they have stated so, but a few of you have worn it out and you refuse to stop. It’s annoying and rude and serves no purpose. 

BuiltFordBills likes this

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You're right, I am. Just because Pestello shows up at games, does his fellow kids routine in the student section and sits courtside, doesn't mean he is capable as a university president when it comes to athletics.

Seems to me May has gotten everything he wants. What more do you want?