2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

20 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Come on what is he supposed to say? He said it's not a "bad" season.  OK, that's not really a ringing endorsement. 

Happy to see this media coverage on the issue.  Seat is hot and SLU is on notice.  Something needs to change. 

Not sure I see it happening until both May and Ford are shown the door. Who in their right mind feels comfortable with Chris May making the next HC hire at SLU...he'e 0 for 2 so far!

TaLBErt likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, DOC said:

Nesbitt was a four-star, top 100 player. Some had him top 50. 

He’s also done a good job getting transfers over the years….shame some of the early ones didn’t work out due to off-court issues, but no denying Ford wants to win and win now. Game management, porous defense and team chemistry/regression are the problems.

32 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Saying we had a successful season is not what they were forced to say.  They could have said, we recognize that winning 20 games is not good enough to make the Dance anymore and we are focused on doing so.  No need to say we like the direction the team was on.  Also, to say Ford has brought in high level talent and we expect that to continue he could have said that bringing in high level talent is one metric but results will still matter.  This was a rehash of that interview May did with Frank that was a poor performance and this one is no better.  We will just let it all play out next year but real progress must be made in my opinion not some mealy mouth comments that are like trying to nail jello on the wall.

Agreed, there were ways to do this which didn’t insult the intelligence of Billiken fans, Chris May chose to insert his foot into his mouth. Fire whatever PR hack is giving him advice, and go take a PR 101 class.

And if Chris May ever sees a fire and wants to put it out, here’s some advice: Don’t pour Kerosene on it…

53 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Saying we had a successful season is not what they were forced to say.  They could have said, we recognize that winning 20 games is not good enough to make the Dance anymore and we are focused on doing so.  No need to say we like the direction the team was on.  Also, to say Ford has brought in high level talent and we expect that to continue he could have said that bringing in high level talent is one metric but results will still matter.  This was a rehash of that interview May did with Frank that was a poor performance and this one is no better.  We will just let it all play out next year but real progress must be made in my opinion not some mealy mouth comments that are like trying to nail jello on the wall.

Pestello is in so far over his head it’s not even funny and May knows his boss is a complete dork who has absolutely no idea what big time college athletics is. 

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Pestello is in so far over his head it’s not even funny and May knows his boss is a complete dork who has absolutely no idea what big time college athletics is. 

Pestello is Charmin soft. He is much better suited to be one of those “I don’t want to grow up, hi fellow kids” VP of student affair types. He isn’t a leader of any sort. His handling of every major issue on campus has been mediocre to poor. 

58 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Not sure I see it happening until both May and Ford are shown the door. Who in their right mind feels comfortable with Chris May making the next HC hire at SLU...he'e 0 for 2 so far!

When are you going to stop? You’re not a fan, you’re a hater. What do you think you are accomplishing? 

billiken_roy likes this

7 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Pestello is Charmin soft. He is much better suited to be one of those “I don’t want to grow up, hi fellow kids” VP of student affair types. He isn’t a leader of any sort. His handling of every major issue on campus has been mediocre to poor. 

This is the vibe I get from him too.  The mascot videos were so cringe worthy. He wouldn't survive 5 minutes in my world. 

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

https://t.co/30sJ2vnXdN

Horrendous quote in here from Pestello, perhaps an email campaign is necessary. 

May and Pestello are more than free to stand behind Ford, but I just can’t stand the flat out bullsh!t of saying it wasn’t a bad season. 

Overreaction. Quotes were on point and appropriate for the situation.

39 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

And if Chris May ever sees a fire and wants to put it out, here’s some advice: Don’t pour Kerosene on it…

I really think it is a small, terribly amped-up part of our fan base that sees his statement in that light.  Everyone is disappointed with the way this season turned out but to not expect some happy, happy horse crap from a guy whose job, partly, is to spread happy, happy horse crap is silly.  A vote of confidence for a struggling employee is also to be expected, to a point. I'm not saying that the amped up fan(atics) are wrong but they are a small minority.......  

31 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

So, Chris May fires Lisa Stone and Kent Miller saying for not competing for championships but Travis Ford who makes the most money in that department, has biggest budget too gets a free pass? How does that make sense? Chris May should explain that to season ticket holders. It’s a joke. 

2 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I really think it is a small, terribly amped-up part of our fan base that sees his statement in that light.  Everyone is disappointed with the way this season turned out but to not expect some happy, happy horse crap from a guy whose job, partly, is to spread happy, happy horse crap is silly.  A vote of confidence for a struggling employee is also to be expected, to a point. I'm not saying that the amped up fan(atics) are wrong but they are a small minority.......  

I always thought Ford comes back next year because the buyout was too big for SLU to afford.  Financial reality is what it is. There were better ways to show support without trying to push last season as some sort of success. It was a disaster. We had plenty of people outside of the local fan base looking at what we had before the season and had us flirting with the top 25. To go from that to not even making the NCAA or the NIT is not a success at all. Again, I get why they kept him and I am fine with that. This was bad PR from May and SLU in general, it did not help, it actually hurt the situation.

cheeseman likes this

28 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

When are you going to stop? You’re not a fan, you’re a hater. What do you think you are accomplishing? 

How is he not a fan?! Just because you point out the obvious doesn’t mean you are a hater. I don’t know Chris May or Travis Ford personally so I don’t “hate” them. What I do hate is delusional thinking that these guys can turn this around in year 8! Just bc his opinion differs doesn’t mean he’s a troll or a hater. May and Ford are only still at SLU bc they can’t go anywhere else. Nobody wants them. When you are Travis Ford and a coach you actually have owned in the A10 (not many of those) gets a Big East job over you, you’ve got to look at yourself in the mirror. Again it’s because nobody else wants him but it’s good enough for slu. That’s the frustration of many fans. Chris May and Travis Ford are the epitome of mediocre. Rinse and repeat next season of mbb. All the talk of winning championships only applies to volleyball and wbb bc those coaches are low hanging fruit to Chris May. Spine of a jellyfish…..Jellyfish Chris has a ring to it….

TaLBErt and TheBand like this

19 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

This is the vibe I get from him too.  The mascot videos were so cringe worthy. He wouldn't survive 5 minutes in my world. 

You better watch out TheA_Bomb...Big Bill Fan will be coming after you next questioning your being a SLU fan. I'd bet you I was a SLU fan before he was in diapers!

slu92 likes this

7 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I always thought Ford comes back next year because the buyout was too big for SLU to afford.  Financial reality is what it is. There were better ways to show support without trying to push last season as some sort of success. It was a disaster. We had plenty of people outside of the local fan base looking at what we had before the season and had us flirting with the top 25. To go from that to not even making the NCAA or the NIT is not a success at all. Again, I get why they kept him and I am fine with that. This was bad PR from May and SLU in general, it did not help, it actually hurt the situation.

Perfect explanation! So if next year if we don’t make NCAA shouldn’t Ford and May be fired? I’d say 100% yes. 

4 minutes ago, slu92 said:

How is he not a fan?! Just because you point out the obvious doesn’t mean you are a hater. I don’t know Chris May or Travis Ford personally so I don’t “hate” them. What I do hate is delusional thinking that these guys can turn this around in year 8! Just bc his opinion differs doesn’t mean he’s a troll or a hater. May and Ford are only still at SLU bc they can’t go anywhere else. Nobody wants them. When you are Travis Ford and a coach you actually have owned in the A10 (not many of those) gets a Big East job over you, you’ve got to look at yourself in the mirror. Again it’s because nobody else wants him but it’s good enough for slu. That’s the frustrations of some fans. Chris May and Travis Ford are the epitome of mediocre. Rinse and repeat next season of mbb. 

anti ford guys get to define mediocre, disaster, horrible and bad, bbf defines hater. is cbfan back with a different name?

Just now, slu92 said:

How is he not a fan?! Just because you point out the obvious doesn’t mean you are a hater. I don’t know Chris May or Travis Ford personally so I don’t “hate” them. What I do hate is delusional thinking that these guys can turn this around in year 8! Just bc his opinion differs doesn’t mean he’s a troll or a hater. May and Ford are only still at SLU bc they can’t go anywhere else. Nobody wants them. When you are Travis Ford and a coach you actually have owned in the A10 (not many of those) gets a Big East job over you, you’ve got to look at yourself in the mirror. Again it’s because nobody else wants him but it’s good enough for slu. That’s the frustrations of some fans. Chris May and Travis Ford are the epitome of mediocre. Rinse and repeat next season of mbb. 

Explain how non stop criticism can help the program? You can’t, in fact it can do nothing but harm… do you think it helps with recruiting? Does it help with attendance? Does it help with fund raising? Does it help with the overall image of the school or program? Ford is the coach for the next year, a fan would accept it whether they like it or not and work to help or improve the program.

Just now, BIG BILL FAN said:

Explain how non stop criticism can help the program? You can’t, in fact it can do nothing but harm… do you think it helps with recruiting? Does it help with attendance? Does it help with fund raising? Does it help with the overall image of the school or program? Ford is the coach for the next year, a fan would accept it whether they like it or not and work to help or improve the program.

I think not winning in a crappy mid-major conference, no in season wins vs a top 25 team in 7 years and painfully being out coached nonstop hurts recruiting more than someone venting on a fan board. Improving this program would be getting rid of Chris May and Travis Ford. Just accept what SLU gives us, pay our money for season tickets and like it! Got it. In reality not being fired up or saying something is far worse imo, which the longer these guys stay the more likely that will happen. Can’t love something more than it loves you back. That’s slu basketball in a nutshell. 

53 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You are hard to please. Maybe this is faint praise but Fred has supported our program more than any SLU president before him. 

3 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I have to agree here. I do think recruits look at fan boards to get a feel for how strongly the fans support the program. Now granted the NIL may be the driving force today, but if the recruit sees a lot of the fans are really down on the HC, this could turn a yes into a no thanks. 

billikenbill likes this

8 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

anti ford guys get to define mediocre, disaster, horrible and bad, bbf defines hater. is cbfan back with a different name?

How do you honestly defend Ford the last 7 seasons? Please tell me 3 reasons why Travis Ford is the man for this job? 

13 minutes ago, slu92 said:

I think not winning in a crappy mid-major conference, no in season wins vs a top 25 team in 7 years and painfully being out coached nonstop hurts recruiting more than someone venting on a fan board. Improving this program would be getting rid of Chris May and Travis Ford. Just accept what SLU gives us, pay our money for season tickets and like it! Got it. In reality not being fired up or saying something is far worse imo, which the longer these guys stay the more likely that will happen. Can’t love something more than it loves you back. That’s slu basketball in a nutshell. 

Again, what does your incessant complaining accomplish??? I’ve asked this a few times and can never get an answer… why is that, too ashamed?

2 minutes ago, slu92 said:

How do you honestly defend Ford the last 7 seasons? Please tell me 3 reasons why Travis Ford is the man for this job? 

i can honestly defend ford, but first i ask you tell explain what your constant bitching is going to do to promote the billikens next season? give me 2 reasons how it is helpful and i will give you my 3 reasons?

2 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Young St. Louis area HS players aren't stupid...they see the product on the court year after year and obviously the majority go elsewhere. Are folks on this board ignorant enough to believe that what SLU fans have to say about Ford keeps them from signing on at SLU. Please don't tell me that anyone on here is that naive. Results or non results on the court are what the good players are watching. I'll continue watching and rooting for the team with very meager expectations things will improve under the present setup both HC and AD. I am a fan and an Alum. I donate money to SLU so I feel that entitles me to have a Strong opinions. Wonder how many of you making snarky remarks about me can say the same (maybe a few). I'll continue voicing my opinion regardless! You don't have to tell me what you think and if your comments about me are too ridiculous you'll be added to my ignore List!

slu92 likes this

Just now, dennis_w said:

i can honestly defend ford, but first i ask you tell explain what your constant bitching is going to do to promote the billikens next season? give me 2 reasons how it is helpful and i will give you my 3 reasons?

1. We get a better coach, who can recruit and actually coach. 2. We make more than 1 NCAA in last 9 seasons. There is nothing to promote for next season. If you think Travis Ford is going to build a super team with transfers, you are delusional. At this point I don’t care if you defend the guy. I’ll save this post and a year from now when they can afford his buyout and he’s fired then you can defend Travis Ford. I hope I’m wrong and we do great next year, I really do but I’m not seeing it. It bums me out bc I love going to games and watching good basketball. Again I don’t care who is AD or coach, I just want us to win! 

1 minute ago, slu92 said:

1. We get a better coach, who can recruit and actually coach. 2. We make more than 1 NCAA in last 9 seasons. There is nothing to promote for next season. If you think Travis Ford is going to build a super team with transfers, you are delusional. At this point I don’t care if you defend the guy. I’ll save this post and a year from now when they can afford his buyout and he’s fired then you can defend Travis Ford. I hope I’m wrong and we do great next year, I really do but I’m not seeing it. It bums me out bc I love going to games and watching good basketball. Again I don’t care who is AD or coach, I just want us to win! 

since you didnt answer my question i wont answer yours, your bitching wont get ford fired and it certainly wont help for next year  i guess you are cbfan