2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

It most certainly is if we use the weave, which we do…

You said defense was our problem but the discussion was about offense - of course the weave is germane but your point about the defense being our problem and not the offense is what is not germane.  Reread your post.

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You said defense was our problem but the discussion was about offense - of course the weave is germane but your point about the defense being our problem and not the offense is what is not germane.  Reread your post.

I think you need a break. Let me help with your offense question, the best way to judge it, is to measure its performance. This is done by scoring efficiency . If you’re scoring well, then it must not be near as bad as some are saying. I’m sorry I overloaded your mental capacity by bringing up defense as well…

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Is this sarcasm though? Like sometimes dudes just want to go away. You can't win them all, don't encourage a troll like joelabs.

I forgot to add a question mark, it makes sense now 

1 hour ago, willie said:

I don't know how far you go back but Rich Grawer got the TOP local recruits. 

yes, i could, but wont make a case that it was a big mistake firing grawer, he was getting the talent and there was a lot more local talent after he was gone

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

How in the world is this Kalkbrenner guy not on our roster? High academic. Local. Catholic kid whose mom is a Billiken grad. And we didn’t even recruit him so he ends up at another Jesuit school….Creighton 

oh and looks like we missed on Malachi Smith over in Belleville too 

Ford sure nailed these two 

[ EDIT Steve Merged this discussion into the coaching thread]

People, me included, have questioned Ford’s X’s and O’s coaching and whether he’s the guy who will get SLU from being good to being great….but no qualms whatsoever about his recruiting. Barking up the wrong tree there, bud.

50 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Even Crews teams played better defense ppg wise in one of his two trash a$$ seasons. This past years defense gave up .8 points per game less than Crews worst year. 

Pickett was billed as a good defender and that was appealing to me, but I didn't see it this year. He had some good games offensively and a decent season, but I just didn't see an outstanding defender.

15 minutes ago, ACE said:

Pickett was billed as a good defender and that was appealing to me, but I didn't see it this year. He had some good games offensively and a decent season, but I just didn't see an outstanding defender.

He was injured a good part of the season 

I think many on this board would have been happier with May’s statements if they had been a mirror of this: (from stl today article about women’s basketball coach and meeting with their AD)

22F21A3E-35CA-4FBF-B70E-9024B0FA46F0.jpeg

2 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I think you need a break. Let me help with your offense question, the best way to judge it, is to measure its performance. This is done by scoring efficiency . If you’re scoring well, then it must not be near as bad as some are saying. I’m sorry I overloaded your mental capacity by bringing up defense as well…

Look this started between myself and a couple of other posters regarding the use of the weave in general and how it is implemented at SLU.  Nobody ever talked about offensive efficiency.  You butted in with the offense is fine it was the defense that was the problem.  We were not talking about that at all just about the use of the weave in general.  If you want to participate in a discussion you are certainly welcome but at least make it germane to the actual discussion.  I can not explain it to you any clearer so if you are still confused I am sorry but I am done.

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree 100%. I cringed everytime Okoro set a pick. He was moving on probably 50% of them, either shuffling his feet or putting a hip out. But it was seldom if ever called. 

Same. Forrester did it too, but Okoro was the main offender. It seemed like we got an offensive foul called, on bad picks, 2-3 times a game.

58 minutes ago, TheBand said:

I think many on this board would have been happier with May’s statements if they had been a mirror of this: (from stl today article about women’s basketball coach and meeting with their AD)

22F21A3E-35CA-4FBF-B70E-9024B0FA46F0.jpeg

I would have preferred this but I'm not actually sure it's the case in May's mind and certain big boosters minds. Barring like a 10 win season, I think Ford is going to be the coach in 2025

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Look this started between myself and a couple of other posters regarding the use of the weave in general and how it is implemented at SLU.  Nobody ever talked about offensive efficiency.  You butted in with the offense is fine it was the defense that was the problem.  We were not talking about that at all just about the use of the weave in general.  If you want to participate in a discussion you are certainly welcome but at least make it germane to the actual discussion.  I can not explain it to you any clearer so if you are still confused I am sorry but I am done.

He’s incorrect anyway

Using Ken Pomeroy as a reference, SLU has not had a top 49 adjusted offense efficiency in ANY of the past 7 seasons. 

324    2017

225    2018

214    2019

111     2020

50     2021

63     2022

64     2023

Adjusted offensive efficiency is defined by the amount of points a team scores per 100 possessions against an average defense.

Adjusted defense is points allowed per  100 possessions vs an average defense.

SLU’s defense.

181     2017

80      2018

40      2019

44      2020

65      2021

81       2022

153     2023

……………..

So as it shows, SLU was able to turn around the defense more quickly than offense. However it has gotten progressively worse the past few seasons. SLU has never had a great offense the past 7 years. 

If you are going to have a bad offense you need an elite defense. If you have a bad defense, you need an elite offense. If you are well balanced, those rankings, roughly speaking, need to be 40’s each or better to dance. And even then that is the bubble. 

42 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You’re a joke, I certainly don’t need your permission to post. I get it, you’re butt hurt that Ford is returning…but if my posts bother you, I will be glad to teach how to use the ignore function…

Meanwhile, I’m watching Sweet 16 NCAA teams and the talent level displayed is astronomically better than ours. We may have thought we could be a Sweet 16 team this year but no way.

I appreciate all our guy’s efforts this year, and leaving Ford’s coaching skills out of it, the fact is we need better players. Can a Midwestern school with a spotty hoop history in a mid-major conference attract that kind of talent? Time will tell but the odds are against it.

Watching San Diego State center Mensah, I have to say that guy makes some well-timed and very smart blocks.

Down goes ‘Bama!!! Love it. SEC, so overrated.

45 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Watching San Diego State center Mensah, I have to say that guy makes some well-timed and very smart blocks.

Down goes ‘Bama!!! Love it. SEC, so overrated.

I would even say SDSU “murdered” 😳Alabama.

10 hours ago, Schasz said:

Don't fret about me A_Bomb as I never see the ignorant people who post about my rooting for UT. Frankly, there are lots of posts about Coach Barnes that are negative today on Volition. He will be ending a HOF career in the next year or two. His teams play very good defense but do seem to come up short on the offensive end as they did last night. Majority of right thinking SLU fans would be very pleased with the success UT has had over Barnes years coaching the Vols. You're right as his players like playing for him. 

I have absolutely no problem with your   Tennessee fandom. Your recent repeated post about how “Gonzaga is your favorite winning Jesuit school” has pissed me right the f*** off. 
Why you post so much on your AT BEST third favorite schools message board is beyond me.