2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

8 hours ago, willie said:

Yes I would. Usually got the ball back in Yuri’s hands for him to do something. 

Yes I agree the ball ends up in Yuri's hands but what I thought I read in the article was that the screens had to be set in such a way as to free the man with the ball.  It also said that all the other offensive players knew when to move.  I guess what I am asking is do you see those two things happening?  I am not sure what I am seeing.  I have nothing against the use of the weave but is it being used properly?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Yes I agree the ball ends up in Yuri's hands but what I thought I read in the article was that the screens had to be set in such a way as to free the man with the ball.  It also said that all the other offensive players knew when to move.  I guess what I am asking is do you see those two things happening?  I am not sure what I am seeing.  I have nothing against the use of the weave but is it being used properly?

good post cheese.   we all need to keep in mind yuri might be the worst point guard using (or should i say not using) a screen in my lifetime.   he circles around so wide my 94 year old mother could stay with him.   a good guard will basically drive and almost bang his teammate setting the pick's hip.  that forces the switch and now you likely got a terrible match up with our big and with collins passing skills the center gets the ball and maybe a dunk.   if they dont switch collins has a layup because he has at least 2 steps on his defender caught in the screen.  

while hate the "weave"  i do recognize it could be a very effective start to an offense if the man with the ball diverts occasionally direction or the next handoff the reciever would all at once roll elsewhere and maybe be open for a pass.   but we dont.   we just waste 10-15 seconds.   i have never seen the billikens do anything different than the three handoffs and end up right back where the weave started.   just stupid.  particularly since we should be playing faster not burning clock. 

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

SCUM

I get it ya'll got issues with Schasz but Barnes is a decent coach.  TJ Ford loves the dude that's enough for me.  He seems to be a class act and teams perform well not the best. He has 1 Final 4, 2 Elite 8s and 5 Sweet 16 appearances. I didn't realize his first HC gig was George Mason for 1 season before Providence hired him. 

almaman likes this

The weave is an offensive strategy, PROVIDING it is used to attack the basket.  Anybody remember the four corners?  Phil Ford for UNC dribbling inthe middle of the floor with his four teammates all standing off in separate corners of the front court?  This was before the advent of the shot clock.  Ford could beat just about anybody off the dribble (think Jordair Jett) and finish at teh rim.  If another defender came to hlkp, the corner man woudl cut to the basket for a layup.  This was the attacking part of the four corners.  Sure, it could also be used to stall and run out the clock but the key to any offense is attacking the basket.  Our weave essentially occurs 25 feet from the basket, leads to a dump off to the big at the foul line, and eventually returns the ball to Yuri at the top of the key.  And he doesn't shoot!  

You can run a series of variations where this guy cuts or goes back door or something to make the weave an offensive weapon.  If you think we did that, you watched many different games than I did.  Collins to Perkins to Jimerson to Colins to Okoro and back to Collins.  Even the defense stood in a picket line across the foul line and waited for the nonsense to stop.

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I get it ya'll got issues with Schasz but Barnes is a decent coach.  TJ Ford loves the dude that's enough for me.  He seems to be a class act and teams perform well not the best. He has 1 Final 4, 2 Elite 8s and 5 Sweet 16 appearances. I didn't realize his first HC gig was George Mason for 1 season before Providence hired him. 

Don't fret about me A_Bomb as I never see the ignorant people who post about my rooting for UT. Frankly, there are lots of posts about Coach Barnes that are negative today on Volition. He will be ending a HOF career in the next year or two. His teams play very good defense but do seem to come up short on the offensive end as they did last night. Majority of right thinking SLU fans would be very pleased with the success UT has had over Barnes years coaching the Vols. You're right as his players like playing for him. 

45 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Don't fret about me A_Bomb as I never see the ignorant people who post about my rooting for UT. Frankly, there are lots of posts about Coach Barnes that are negative today on Volition. He will be ending a HOF career in the next year or two. His teams play very good defense but do seem to come up short on the offensive end as they did last night. Majority of right thinking SLU fans would be very pleased with the success UT has had over Barnes years coaching the Vols. You're right as his players like playing for him. 

The point you seem to be missing is that no one, or nearly no one on this board would give Tennessee a second thought if not for your trollery and assholery......

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

good post cheese.   we all need to keep in mind yuri might be the worst point guard using (or should i say not using) a screen in my lifetime.   he circles around so wide my 94 year old mother could stay with him.   a good guard will basically drive and almost bang his teammate setting the pick's hip.  that forces the switch and now you likely got a terrible match up with our big and with collins passing skills the center gets the ball and maybe a dunk.   if they dont switch collins has a layup because he has at least 2 steps on his defender caught in the screen.  

while hate the "weave"  i do recognize it could be a very effective start to an offense if the man with the ball diverts occasionally direction or the next handoff the reciever would all at once roll elsewhere and maybe be open for a pass.   but we dont.   we just waste 10-15 seconds.   i have never seen the billikens do anything different than the three handoffs and end up right back where the weave started.   just stupid.  particularly since we should be playing faster not burning clock. 

Another problem with the point guard not using the pick well is that it forces the big to move a foot or two to try and intercept the defender - in full view of the zebras, who may then call a moving screen.

billiken_roy and MB73 like this

8 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

Another problem with the point guard not using the pick well is that it forces the big to move a foot or two to try and intercept the defender - in full view of the zebras, who may then call a moving screen.

Which was one of the big factors with Okoro getting in foul trouble this season.  That and Yuri going before Okoro would have a chance to set.  

thunderdan and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, SLUMS81 said:

I agree 100%. I cringed everytime Okoro set a pick. He was moving on probably 50% of them, either shuffling his feet or putting a hip out. But it was seldom if ever called. 

I volunteer that we cease all Tennessee discussion immediately. Why would anyone care about a second-rate university located in a backwoods state?

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Good article - someone on this board could have written this article or he wrote the article after reading this board or Dayton's.

41 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree 100%. I cringed everytime Okoro set a pick. He was moving on probably 50% of them, either shuffling his feet or putting a hip out. But it was seldom if ever called. 

the fact is, despite all the gnashing of teeth on how screens were or were not used, the offense was not the problem, it was our defense...

David King and RUBillsFan like this

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

the fact is, despite all the gnashing of teeth on how screens were or were not used, the offense was not the problem, it was our defense...

True but if the offense were just a few points better it would've counteracted those defensive lapses.

Defense was the #1 problem. 

The discussion was about the offense using the weave.  The article that was shared gave us a common definition of the weave and how it works.  Did SLU implement properly - up for discussion.  Saying offense was not our problem is not germane to this specific topic.  

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The discussion was about the offense using the weave.  The article that was shared gave us a common definition of the weave and how it works.  Did SLU implement properly - up for discussion.  Saying offense was not our problem is not germane to this specific topic.  

It most certainly is if we use the weave, which we do…

How in the world is this Kalkbrenner guy not on our roster? High academic. Local. Catholic kid whose mom is a Billiken grad. And we didn’t even recruit him so he ends up at another Jesuit school….Creighton 

oh and looks like we missed on Malachi Smith over in Belleville too 

Ford sure nailed these two 

[ EDIT Steve Merged this discussion into the coaching thread]

Troll post...

There is not a single coach who would be able to get every local recruit to commit here. Travis had been 1000 times better than any previous coach at getting local talent to commit. 

I get complaining about the performance of this past year's team. I understand those that argue he is not a good X's and O's or in game coach. I even can understand those that claim Ford is not good at developing talent (although I disagree about this one). But it is a little ludicrous to imply that he is bad at recruiting and even more ludicrous to imply he is bad at local recruiting.  

AGB91, rgbilliken and ACE like this

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

How in the world is this Kalkbrenner guy not on our roster? High academic. Local. Catholic kid whose mom is a Billiken grad. And we didn’t even recruit him so he ends up at another Jesuit school….Creighton 

So Ford is supposed to have a 100% landing record?  Yikes, even I cant get behind this one. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

9 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Troll post...

There is not a single coach who would be able to get every local recruit to commit here. Travis had been 1000 times better than any previous coach at getting local talent to commit. 

I get complaining about the performance of this past year's team. I understand those that argue he is not a good X's and O's or in game coach. I even can understand those that claim Ford is not good at developing talent (although I disagree about this one). But it is a little ludicrous to imply that he is bad at recruiting and even more ludicrous to imply he is bad at local recruiting.  

I don't know how far you go back but Rich Grawer got the TOP local recruits. 

18 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I could care less if a guy is from Midtown or Timbuktu. It's irrelevant. Just get guys who can PLAY and have the discipline to PLAY WELL.