2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Schasz said:

HoosierPal...Why would one waste their time debating with Chris May when that person thought he screwed up both of his HC decisions. He was waaaaay to lazy to hire a replacement for Rick Majerus. He promoted Jim Crews who was on auto-pilot the entire time he was on the bench at SLU. Yes, he did take Rick's players to the NCAA's twice, but Majerus left him that anyone with coaching experience could have done that. What Crews did not do was telling...he did ZERO to build on what Rick left him so then May cans him after 2 bad years,

I was NEVER down with the Travis Ford hire. Why? I knew what he had done early in his career including the stint at UMASS. Then I looked closely what he did at his 8 years at OSU.  In 8 years he made 5 NCAA Tourney's and one NIT. He never won the Big 12. He won a total of 1 NCAA games and that was his 1st year. Pretty certain because he was recruiting to a Big 12 his talent was much better than any place else he's coached. He did recruit Marcus Smart to OSU. So IMHO he had enough talent to have won 1 friggin NCAA game. Count me as someone who may recognize talent. Gee I don't see that as a huge quality. His problem is being able to coach up the talent. Still is at SLU. One thing to get talent a whole different one to coach them to a cohesive winning team. So IMHO and I know we'll not agree Chris May reached and failed SLU fans a 2nd time.

While I know I won't change anyones mind on Ford thet like him. I thought I'd lay out why I think we are kicking the can down one more year in keeping him. If he fails next year I'm not wanting Chris May to make another dumb HC hire. IMHO he's 0 for 2 now!

You missed the boat on my post.

26 minutes ago, Schasz said:

HoosierPal...Why would one waste their time debating with Chris May when that person thought he screwed up both of his HC decisions. He was waaaaay to lazy to hire a replacement for Rick Majerus. He promoted Jim Crews who was on auto-pilot the entire time he was on the bench at SLU. Yes, he did take Rick's players to the NCAA's twice, but Majerus left him that anyone with coaching experience could have done that. What Crews did not do was telling...he did ZERO to build on what Rick left him so then May cans him after 2 bad years,

I was NEVER down with the Travis Ford hire. Why? I knew what he had done early in his career including the stint at UMASS. Then I looked closely what he did at his 8 years at OSU.  In 8 years he made 5 NCAA Tourney's and one NIT. He never won the Big 12. He won a total of 1 NCAA games and that was his 1st year. Pretty certain because he was recruiting to a Big 12 his talent was much better than any place else he's coached. He did recruit Marcus Smart to OSU. So IMHO he had enough talent to have won 1 friggin NCAA game. Count me as someone who may recognize talent. Gee I don't see that as a huge quality. His problem is being able to coach up the talent. Still is at SLU. One thing to get talent a whole different one to coach them to a cohesive winning team. So IMHO and I know we'll not agree Chris May reached and failed SLU fans a 2nd time.

While I know I won't change anyones mind on Ford thet like him. I thought I'd lay out why I think we are kicking the can down one more year in keeping him. If he fails next year I'm not wanting Chris May to make another dumb HC hire. IMHO he's 0 for 2 now!

"He never won the Big 12" ....... Well damn, that means squat.  KU has won 17 of the last 20, don't think any Big 12 coach was doing that either!!!!!

1 minute ago, willie said:

This doesn’t belong here and don’t tell Roy but Michigan State just ran the weave. 

Willie...Pretty sure that's been one of Coach Izzy's plays in the past. Still remember the heart breaking loss the Bills had to his team when Coach Majerus had us in position to pull the upset.

9 minutes ago, willie said:

This doesn’t belong here and don’t tell Roy but Michigan State just ran the weave. 

They’ve been doing it a lot.

Doesnt make much sense or lead to anything good when they do it either but when you have a record like Izzo you can do whatever you want.

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Maybe they execute it well?  

It doesn’t seem like it.

They run the weave then start the offense from the top of the key with 15 seconds left on the shot clock.

I see tons of teams do it but all it seems to do is take time off the shot clock. 

I don’t really care that the Bills do it. I’m sure coaches see some type of advantage from running it.

thunderdan likes this

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

It doesn’t seem like it.

They run the weave then start the offense from the top of the key with 15 seconds left on the shot clock.

I see tons of teams do it but all it seems to do is take time off the shot clock. 

I don’t really care that the Bills do it. I’m sure coaches see some type of advantage from running it.

It gets people moving. 

On 3/22/2023 at 10:24 AM, thetorch said:

Personal attacks. Another of your MOs. Projecting what you do onto others, another. I hit the troll button on your posts because you are a troll. I was utilizing the functions available to me. Now instead I'm forced to respond to you when you make outlandishly vague statements. If you want real credibility say the names of the people trying to buy out Ford. You are anonymous on here anyway who will know. 

I'm no internet tough guy. Dozens of board members know where I sit at games. Sec 213 row K seat 1. Now you do too. I'd love to talk to you.

Often times the person projecting is the last to know. There’s professional help for your unhealthy obsession with me. Like I said hero worship/scapegoating is an unhealthy way to go through life. Maybe look into it for your benefit.

I’m so unimportant to you that you hit the troll the button on every one of my posts regardless of thread or topic, for months and months, and now the button coincidentally no longer exists. 

I’m so unimportant to you that perhaps we can send a SWAT team team to help you with the people holding you hostage, “forcing you to respond.”

You say I am not credible, but if I want credibility, I need to tell you more things, or you will throw another temper tantrum. Pro tip: If one seeks more information, behaving like this isn’t the best way to go about getting it. 

There’s so little to it, that local television media, radio media, print media, and the AD, have all felt the need to address it this week. All that’s missing are links from supportive boosters. 

2 minutes ago, courtside said:

Often times the person projecting is the last to know. There’s professional help for your unhealthy obsession with me. Like I said hero worship/scapegoating is an unhealthy way to go through life. Maybe look into it for your benefit.

I’m so unimportant to you that you hit the troll the button on every one of my posts regardless of thread or topic, for months and months, that the button no longer exists. 

I’m so unimportant to you that perhaps we can send a SWAT team team to help you with the people holding you hostage, “forcing you to respond.”

You say I am not credible, but if I want credibility, I need to tell you more things, or you will throw another temper tantrum. Pro tip: If one seeks more information, behaving like this isn’t the best way to go about getting it. 

There’s so little to it, that local television media, radio media, print media, and the AD, have all felt the need to address it this week. All that’s missing are links from supportive boosters. 

They had to talk about it because someone promoted a false narrative. You would think those who pushed this bs would be embarrassed and apologize. Like Bob Ramsey said, this should never have been a story and wasn’t even worthy of discussion. 

I think the fact that Frank had to address it on TV and that it was discussed on the radio show then the AD had to address it again gives bona fides to Courtside.  Obviously he was in the know on something.  So it didn't happen exactly like he said? So what. I like getting some inside information to discuss. Yes also I was hopeful that it would happen (still might but not looking likely).

In addition to complaining here, I have complained to AD May and to Coach Ford.  I sent May emails back in DEC when I noticed the direction this was all going. Not that it matters much but he starts getting a few emails puts them on notice that were not happy.   What else am I doing?  Not contributing to the BVF as long as Ford is the coach.  Once he's gone, I'll send my hard earned money.

Maybe just maybe all this unrest woke up some people.  Maybe Ford is thinking, "Damn I don't want to be fired again and sell my house in this market, interest rates are high and Last Chance U won't pay me $2.4mil/year.  Better go out and get some transfer ballers." 

JMM28 and cheeseman like this

7 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've written a haiku:

Courtside wishes he

was a high-level donor 

high-level boner?

The comments above are in reference to Chris May’s comments before the A10 tourney when he said Travis Ford will be SLU’s coach for years to come..

His comments this week after the A10 tourney is over:

“I made those comments because I wanted to take that pressure off of the team” 

Oh.

”We made a head coaching change in Women’s basketball because we want to make the NCAA Tournament, and, make runs in it.” 

-Chris May

Oh.

2 hours ago, courtside said:

I’m so unimportant to you that you hit the troll the button on every one of my posts regardless of thread or topic, for months and months, and now the button coincidentally no longer exists. 

Again, I hit the troll button on you for months because you are troll.  I also did it to several other posters.  I did it to you because you called 2 longstanding credible voices on the board plagiarists even though 99% of the board shouted you down.  You trolled 2 posters.  So you became a troll.  You were wrong for calling them that, everyone knows you were wrong, and you never apologized for it.

No one is obsessed with you. You make a spectacle of yourself on the board by making false statements.  Plenty of people on the board know who was trying to get Ford bought out.  YOU were the only one who came on the board and said Ford would be fired in a couple days.  Everyone else knew the people doing this didn't have the money or the clout to pull this off so they didn't post it on the board.  

Your post probably did spur on a bit of the media coverage.  In the end it was unnecessary, irresponsible, and untrue.  99% of the people who knew this, know it was better off left unsaid.  You choose to make the post for clout.  It not only backfires on you but it also hurts the Billikens fanbase in the end.  Just know that many on the board now realize when you share information it is only for your benefit, to gain plaudits on the board.  It is not for the good of the fanbase or the continued discourse on the board.

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Again, I hit the troll button on you for months because you are troll.  I also did it to several other posters.  I did it to you because you called 2 longstanding credible voices on the board plagiarists even though 99% of the board shouted you down.  You trolled 2 posters.  So you became a troll.  You were wrong for calling them that, everyone knows you were wrong, and you never apologized for it.

No one is obsessed with you. You make a spectacle of yourself on the board by making false statements.  Plenty of people on the board know who was trying to get Ford bought out.  YOU were the only one who came on the board and said Ford would be fired in a couple days.  Everyone else knew the people doing this didn't have the money or the clout to pull this off so they didn't post it on the board.  

Your post probably did spur on a bit of the media coverage.  In the end it was unnecessary, irresponsible, and untrue.  99% of the people who knew this, know it was better off left unsaid.  You choose to make the post for clout.  It not only backfires on you but it also hurts the Billikens fanbase in the end.  Just know that many on the board now realize when you share information it is only for your benefit, to gain plaudits on the board.  It is not for the good of the fanbase or the continued discourse on the board.

That’s a  L-O-T of words to say you aren’t obsessed. 

Maybe try a hobby. Maybe get a dog. (Make sure you are nice to the dog)

Here, maybe this will help you feel better. Former SLU Women’s Soccer player and Assistant, Liv Silverman, is still in the area doing private strength and conditioning training. Some of her clients include SLU Soccer commits. There, that information should hold you over a little while.  

2 hours ago, courtside said:

The comments above are in reference to Chris May’s comments before the A10 tourney when he said Travis Ford will be SLU’s coach for years to come..

His comments this week after the A10 tourney is over:

“I made those comments because I wanted to take that pressure off of the team” 

Oh.

”We made a head coaching change in Women’s basketball because we want to make the NCAA Tournament, and, make runs in it.” 

-Chris May

Oh.

Look, Courtside, if I’m being honest I really just wanted to rhyme “donor” and “boner”. No hard feelings. 

But I do find myself coming back to this:  

“Travis Ford is out as SLU’s coach”.

Oh….for one on Ford rumors.*

But if you turn around I’d be be more than happy to pat you on the back for posting the obvious: that some boosters aren’t happy with how the season turned out and would like to see Ford gone. At least it gave us the opportunity to add an additional 15 pages to this thread. 

* if Ford ends up getting canned this spring I will gladly punch myself in the face and make it up to you with a flame grilled double whopper and chicken fries from Burger King. 

9 minutes ago, courtside said:

That’s a  L-O-T of words to say you aren’t obsessed. 

Maybe try a hobby. Maybe get a dog. (Make sure you are nice to the dog)

Here, maybe this will help you feel better. Former SLU Women’s Soccer player and Assistant, Liv Silverman, is still in the area doing private strength and conditioning training. Some of her clients include SLU Soccer commits. There, that information should hold you over a little while.  

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Be a man.  Admit you were wrong and think before you post next time.

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Be a man.  Admit you were wrong and think before you post next time.

Well, we do live in a society where increasingly, truth, is whatever people want it to be. Why should you be any different.

The people who like Travis rushed to his defense. The people who don’t like Travis, rushed to rejoice. The people who live in an obsessive hero worship/scapegoating world rushed to find a way to make a statement of fact, negatively about me. 

“Be a man,” says the keyboard tough guy, or you’ll throw another tantrum. 

if you aren’t going to seek counseling, get that dog. It’ll help you. 

And remember, before you hit send on your next, you’re not obsessed. But at least you are getting some attention. So. maybe it’s a win/lose for you. 

44 minutes ago, courtside said:

Well, we do live in a society where increasingly, truth, is whatever people want it to be. Why should you be any different.

The people who like Travis rushed to his defense. The people who don’t like Travis, rushed to rejoice. The people who live in an obsessive hero worship/scapegoating world rushed to find a way to make a statement of fact, negatively about me. 

“Be a man,” says the keyboard tough guy, or you’ll throw another tantrum. 

if you aren’t going to seek counseling, get that dog. It’ll help you. 

And remember, before you hit send on your next, you’re not obsessed. But at least you are getting some attention. So. maybe it’s a win/lose for you. 

When is Ford getting fired again?

Sincerely

Internet tough guy aka keyboard tough guy 

8 hours ago, willie said:

i havent watched much of this tourney so thanks for the update, of course as most teams that waste time with the weave, michigan state lost.   i bet they could have used an extra 10 seconds at the end of the game or at the end of regulation.