2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

dennis do the math.   if he has 4-5 years contractually left at over $2 million dollars per year, Ford would be a fool to give some sort of a buyout unless he was trying to get out of his contract.   since in the example being discussed, Ford isnt trying to leave the billikens would have to payoff the entire contract unless there is some sort of writing that defines some sort of lesser amount to be paid upon the firing.   

so add the $10+ million plus a coach of greater defined accomplishments ( i sure hope if we are separating from Coach Ford we are doing so because there is a defined "better option" out there that naturally would cost as much if not more plus have the same guaranteed 4-5 year contract that might also include assisting in his buyout of his current contract) that will cost at least the same over time or close to it upfront.  

then to illustrate AD Chris May's financial juggling act, he also has to have commits for suitable NiL money to give the new coach the money to participate with the big programs.  The $500,000 might be the goal that Ryan Robertson thinks he can raise annually amongst the smaller donors, but someone is going to have to buck up a heck of a lot more to be able to play on the same playing field as the big boys.   

imo this is not the right time to be switching coaches.   not if we all truly want the next level.  we need to get his NiL b.s. figured out first and then if Coach Ford is still underperforming the wishes of the fandom, we can explore coaching options in my opinion.   

Hard disagree. This is the right year.

Ford is just not a very good coach. I was wrong with my initial assessments of him. Time to move on.

Schasz likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

why would ford "negotiate" and give away money if we are firing him?   he is a smarter man than that.   now if another program wants to hire him and Coach Ford wants to take that job, by all means he will negotiate his buyout and give the appropriate discount to let himself out of the deal in place.   but he would be a fool to leave guaranteed money on the table to just get out right released.   that isnt going to happen.  his attorney's and agent have already proven they are smarter than that.

There are lots of reasons for a person to take a lower figure as a buy out.  One is that they want another job and being held to the full remaining money on the contract means you are still employed by the school.  They can ask you to lecture on basketball to the Boys and Girls Club type groups or maybe an assistant to the AD - who knows but if you take the full amount left on the contract you are still employed and not free to explore other options.  Would even keep you from becoming an analyst for ESPN for example.

8 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Didn't everyone say May made great hires with women's basketball and other sports? now he cant be trusted?

Ya I have no problem with May's hiring ability.  Also unlike the other sports, certain boosters will have their say in selecting a coach. 

51 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

There are lots of reasons for a person to take a lower figure as a buy out.  One is that they want another job and being held to the full remaining money on the contract means you are still employed by the school.  They can ask you to lecture on basketball to the Boys and Girls Club type groups or maybe an assistant to the AD - who knows but if you take the full amount left on the contract you are still employed and not free to explore other options.  Would even keep you from becoming an analyst for ESPN for example.

do you seriously believe travis ford has an offer better than the money he is currently supposedly getting paid?   i dont..

Soderball and TRN like this

Now we need to be discussing what changes Ford is making to his staff and/or recruiting/coaching philosophies. I guess it's possible we are just going to run it back with the same staff and styles but man I hope not. I really think 1 or 2 small adjustments would be all Ford needs 

2 hours ago, slu92 said:

Someone needs to pull Chris May aside and tell him to quit talking. Go watch softball get pounded by Lindenwood. He already lit this firestorm saying things that didn’t need to be said. 100% I believe a lot more has been going on behind closed doors and I truly believe courtside’s initial post. Plus Frank Cusamano’s rant about not buying out the coach and spending that money on NIL??? I’m not an investigative journalist here but that smells like something an AD or coach under fire would shovel out and Frank would totally parrot. Not buying any of it and if this is accurate, Chris May and Ford are profoundly stupid people and good for big donors not to cave in and just throw more good money on top of bad. Should be an interesting next few weeks. Grab your popcorn. 

Courtside said he was gone, that isn’t happening, get over it. May absolutely did the right thing, he got out ahead of the bs, remaining quiet would have been the worst thing possible. Better question, when is the group still pitching a temper tantrum going to stop whining and support the program?

4 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Courtside said he was gone, that isn’t happening, get over it. May absolutely did the right thing, he got out ahead of the bs, remaining quiet would have been the worst thing possible. Better question, when is the group still pitching a temper tantrum going to stop whining and support the program?

IMHO it's fine to support and root for the team and still think the HC is in over his head and should GO!!!

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

do you seriously believe travis ford has an offer better than the money he is currently supposedly getting paid?   i dont..

In a word NOPE! No one out there that foolish except for the equally inept AD May!

2 hours ago, slu92 said:

Someone needs to pull Chris May aside and tell him to quit talking. Go watch softball get pounded by Lindenwood. He already lit this firestorm saying things that didn’t need to be said. 100% I believe a lot more has been going on behind closed doors and I truly believe courtside’s initial post. Plus Frank Cusamano’s rant about not buying out the coach and spending that money on NIL??? I’m not an investigative journalist here but that smells like something an AD or coach under fire would shovel out and Frank would totally parrot. Not buying any of it and if this is accurate, Chris May and Ford are profoundly stupid people and good for big donors not to cave in and just throw more good money on top of bad. Should be an interesting next few weeks. Grab your popcorn. 

SLU beat Lindenwood 15 to 3 in softball. I would correct the second sentence if I were you.

DOC likes this

29 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Now we need to be discussing what changes Ford is making to his staff and/or recruiting/coaching philosophies. I guess it's possible we are just going to run it back with the same staff and styles but man I hope not. I really think 1 or 2 small adjustments would be all Ford needs 

Tate's not going anywhere. Coach Bailey was just lured back last off-season. I think the only option would be to replace Forte with someone who brings a different style, approach, philosophy, experience, skill set, etc....  to the table. But that would be more of a "small adjustment" than shaking things up.

Some schools have more experienced hires in the Director of Basketball Operations role: Oklahoma State's has Barry Hinson. Fred Quartlebaum at Kansas has decades of coaching experience. Butler has Greg Oden. Iowa State's DOBO was an assistant at UNI and SIU-C for over 15 years. That's just a few examples of how that role can add something to the mix.

29 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I guess you think the coach isn’t part of the team then..

No when it's my point that he's in over his head...that's when right kind of thinking people know he should be sent packing!!!

slu92 likes this

7 minutes ago, Schasz said:

No when it's my point that he's in over his head...that's when right kind of thinking people know he should be sent packing!!!

Just so we're clear, you think Ford should be fired?  Do you think 300 posts are nearly enough to express your wishes?

AGB91, dennis_w and HenryB like this

3 hours ago, slu92 said:

Someone needs to pull Chris May aside and tell him to quit talking.

It is always interesting when some bold posters says "someone needs to....."  How about YOU DO IT.  If you feel strong enough to post this message, have the fortitude to do it.  Or, don't try to assign your task to someone else.

May's contact information is

Chris May Director of Athletics 314-977-3167 [email protected]

16 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Ok, I guess you will be the guy behind the bench screaming at the coach that he sucks… seems like an odd way to support the program, but I’m sure your intentions will be good…

34 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It is always interesting when some bold posters says "someone needs to....."  How about YOU DO IT.  If you feel strong enough to post this message, have the fortitude to do it.  Or, don't try to assign your task to someone else.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

HoosierPal...Why would one waste their time debating with Chris May when that person thought he screwed up both of his HC decisions. He was waaaaay to lazy to hire a replacement for Rick Majerus. He promoted Jim Crews who was on auto-pilot the entire time he was on the bench at SLU. Yes, he did take Rick's players to the NCAA's twice, but Majerus left him that anyone with coaching experience could have done that. What Crews did not do was telling...he did ZERO to build on what Rick left him so then May cans him after 2 bad years,

I was NEVER down with the Travis Ford hire. Why? I knew what he had done early in his career including the stint at UMASS. Then I looked closely what he did at his 8 years at OSU.  In 8 years he made 5 NCAA Tourney's and one NIT. He never won the Big 12. He won a total of 1 NCAA games and that was his 1st year. Pretty certain because he was recruiting to a Big 12 his talent was much better than any place else he's coached. He did recruit Marcus Smart to OSU. So IMHO he had enough talent to have won 1 friggin NCAA game. Count me as someone who may recognize talent. Gee I don't see that as a huge quality. His problem is being able to coach up the talent. Still is at SLU. One thing to get talent a whole different one to coach them to a cohesive winning team. So IMHO and I know we'll not agree Chris May reached and failed SLU fans a 2nd time.

While I know I won't change anyones mind on Ford thet like him. I thought I'd lay out why I think we are kicking the can down one more year in keeping him. If he fails next year I'm not wanting Chris May to make another dumb HC hire. IMHO he's 0 for 2 now!