2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

I just listened to the Frank/Rammer segment from Frank’s show this morning. It wasn’t the “slu fans are unreasonable and stupid for wanting to go to the NCAAs” comment that has been suggested. Source: I’d fall into the “anti-Ford” camp and didn’t feel the least bit insulted. 
Basically they said that the team didn’t meet expectations, but it wasn’t so bad that you need to eat Ford’s buyout now. Frank also tried to backtrack from the suggestions yesterday that he was throwing players under the bus.

Based on this segment, a few posts here, and a rumor I heard a year ago, I’m starting to speculate that the root of this whole thing is this: some people tried to bring some player to SLU last year with an NIL deal, and Ford shut it down. Maybe that rubbed some people the wrong way. Fast forward to this season, the team underachieved, and those people think that if their deal went through, this team would be better.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If you think this story is showing up anywhere in a teenage basketball players feed on TikTok or Instragram, you either have no clue how those platforms work or you are delusional.  It doesn't happen and nothing we do here has an impact on the Billikens effort to recruit players.  It might be hard for you to accept, but nothing any of us post here matters to them.  We are dinosaurs that have been hit by the asteroid, but just don't realize it yet.

If I had a brianstl youtube channel where I broadcasted my opinions on Ford and had a few thousand subscribers, there would be an ever so slight chance a player might come across my ramblings on there and even then I would need some kind of hook to draw them in to actually click on and watch. Sadly, I don't have a youtube channel where you could obsess over my opinions on all things Travis Ford.  I know you are heartbroken.  

What’s your obsession with TikTok and instagram, are you saying that’s the only place information can be obtained by a younger person and his family? Your arguments are laughable. Think about it your argument is that persistent public attacks have no effect on how someone can be viewed… it’s ludicrous and you know it… 

@DeSmetBilliken interesting tid bit.

Bigger money bigger expectations. 

Does the board consensus feel that May's job security is now linked to Ford's success or failure next season?

I think that they are now linked.  May decided to keep Ford so he's sticking his neck out.  Now if the buy out money wasn't available then he maybe safe despite more underachievement next season. But if the buyout money was offered and Ford does what he's done for 25 years,  May is likely to be putting his house up for sale too.

JMM28 likes this

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Henry, 

The issue is not that May addressed it, but how he addressed it. It boggles my mind that he thought he could go on the radio, say “everything is great, Ford will be the coach for a long time” and then not have any fan backlash. I don’t think it’s controversial to say that everything is at best “fine”. All he had to do is say, this year did not go as planned. We understand the frustration from our fanbase, but I believe in Travis Ford and he’s our coach going into 2023-24 season. 

He would have gotten some eye rolls and groans but overall, I believe the response would not have been so extreme. 

Perhaps if/when he addresses it again his tone will be different. He has a difficult job trying to support his coach, pleasing boosters, and the fans. Since it appears that the decision has been to move forward with Ford it would be nice to see some unity and enthusiasm for the future. It would be nice next year to be discussing our sweet 16 opponent. 

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Henry, 

The issue is not that May addressed it, but how he addressed it. It boggles my mind that he thought he could go on the radio, say “everything is great, Ford will be the coach for a long time” and then not have any fan backlash. I don’t think it’s controversial to say that everything is at best “fine”. All he had to do is say, this year did not go as planned. We understand the frustration from our fanbase, but I believe in Travis Ford and he’s our coach going into 2023-24 season. 

He would have gotten some eye rolls and groans but overall, I believe the response would not have been so extreme. 

Chris May did just give a great example of something that should be taught to all Public Relations people - How NOT to do a PR announcement. You are right about that, and the one you came up with is a lot better. What I find interesting is just how little Frank and Rammer think Ford had to do with what happened this year in listening to their conversation. Apparently, the head coach had nothing to do with it and cannot be blamed for results. Which I find mind boggling.

20 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Henry, 

I don't disagree with this but is your quibble 23-24 vs. a long time?

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Does the board consensus feel that May's job security is now linked to Ford's success or failure next season?

I think that they are now linked.  May decided to keep Ford so he's sticking his neck out.  Now if the buy out money wasn't available then he maybe safe despite more underachievement next season. But if the buyout money was offered and Ford does what he's done for 25 years,  May is likely to be putting his house up for sale too.

Just noting…a tidbit based on admittedly little to no direct information. Just putting a few pieces together.

1 minute ago, HenryB said:

Perhaps if/when he addresses it again his tone will be different. He has a difficult job trying to support his coach, pleasing boosters, and the fans. Since it appears that the decision has been to move forward with Ford it would be nice to see some unity and enthusiasm for the future. It would be nice next year to be discussing our sweet 16 opponent. 

I think it is fair to allow Billiken fans to see what Ford is able to do in the portal before assessing their level of enthusiasm. This season was a slog when we were losing and every win still felt like pulling teeth until the clock hit zero, then it was relief, not excitement. So yeah, I’m going to wait and see much like every other Billiken fan should be allowed and expected to do. 

4 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I don't want to get another debate going and I have been around this program longer than just about everyone on this board but May is the best AD this program has had since Larry Albus. 

2 hours ago, SLUDrew said:

For me personally, I will renew but I bet I go to about 3 games as opposed to 10 or so. From a financial standpoint that stance will have zero impact on the program. However, if I am apathetic about the team, imagine how the casual sports fan in St Louis will feel. This is a program already on the brink of irrelevance. Bringing Ford back and having him basically start all over, means you are ok with this team and this program basically being UMSL in terms of where it ranks among St Louis sports teams. Is that why they built Chaifetz?

The program is on the brink of irrelevance? The last game of a disastrous season was a sellout. Ya we’re all ok with being UMSL. Wtf

2 minutes ago, willie said:

I don't want to get another debate going and I have been around this program longer than just about everyone on this board but May is the best AD this program has had since Larry Albus. 

I think May overall has been a good AD, but better than Debbie Yow?  The woman who hired Spoon and had the program as a founding member of the Great Midwest. You know when we were leaving programs like Xavier behind in a crappy conference instead of the other way around.

TheA_Bomb likes this

I think May is a great AD. I think May and Frank have made some dumb comments lately. It's really okay to publicly state that a season wasn't quite what you hoped but that you have faith that future seasons will meet expectations. May and Frank have both made comments that this past season was successful. And maybe it was in their minds, but then the expectations bar for the program was definitely lowered. Maybe they made those comments unintentionally. Maybe they made them out of emotional loyalty to Ford. Maybe they made them purposely. I am in favor of moving on from Ford but I'll admit that I'm really curious to see how he attacks the transfer portal with the BVF. So in that sense, I'm glad he's apparently sticking around. But if this past season was considered successful then I'm not sure we're really going to reach the heights that we have been promised.

willie likes this

13 minutes ago, willie said:

There doesn't have to be a debate on if May is good or bad.

Do you think May's job security is now connected to Ford's performance next year?  Or should it be?

If buyout money was available and he said "no thanks". He made his choice.  If the choice ends up being wrong then those Big Money People will remember and now May has lost credibility.  Wild speculation, I know but plausible given what we've heard. 

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I think May is a great AD. I think May and Frank have made some dumb comments lately. It's really okay to publicly state that a season wasn't quite what you hoped but that you have faith that future seasons will meet expectations. May and Frank have both made comments that this past season was successful. And maybe it was in their minds, but then the expectations bar for the program was definitely lowered. Maybe they made those comments unintentionally. Maybe they made them out of emotional loyalty to Ford. Maybe they made them purposely. I am in favor of moving on from Ford but I'll admit that I'm really curious to see how he attacks the transfer portal with the BVF. So in that sense, I'm glad he's apparently sticking around. But if this past season was considered successful then I'm not sure we're really going to reach the heights that we have been promised.

how many years has it been biondi promised top 50? iirc about 35, not sure how we get there

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

There doesn't have to be a debate on if May is good or bad.

Do you think May's job security is now connected to Ford's performance next year?  Or should it be?

If buyout money was available and he said "no thanks". He made his choice.  If the choice ends up being wrong then those Big Money People will remember and now May has lost credibility.  Wild speculation, I know but plausible given what we've heard. 

No I do not. I believe the chair of the BOT and Fred would {are] solidly in his corner.