2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

like i said Brian, you're embarrassing yourself.....and are you really that naive to believe that the false story on this board didn't make it to other platforms???? i get it, you're just trying to rationalize and minimize your behavior...but if you really thinks it helps to lambast the coach 24/7, then keep it up...

There is someone embarrassing themselves here. The thing is, it isn't brianstl. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Do you get tired of yelling at people on the internet? People you've never met? Do you get tired of calling people fools? Do you get tired of telling people they are embarrassing themselves? Why do you do it? 

Look out, henry will be after you in a minute for this one. 

35 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

like i said Brian, you're embarrassing yourself.....and are you really that naive to believe that the false story on this board didn't make it to other platforms???? i get it, you're just trying to rationalize and minimize your behavior...but if you really thinks it helps to lambast the coach 24/7, then keep it up...

If you think this story is showing up anywhere in a teenage basketball players feed on TikTok or Instragram, you either have no clue how those platforms work or you are delusional.  It doesn't happen and nothing we do here has an impact on the Billikens effort to recruit players.  It might be hard for you to accept, but nothing any of us post here matters to them.  We are dinosaurs that have been hit by the asteroid, but just don't realize it yet.

If I had a brianstl youtube channel where I broadcasted my opinions on Ford and had a few thousand subscribers, there would be an ever so slight chance a player might come across my ramblings on there and even then I would need some kind of hook to draw them in to actually click on and watch. Sadly, I don't have a youtube channel where you could obsess over my opinions on all things Travis Ford.  I know you are heartbroken.  

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Look out, henry will be after you in a minute for this one. 

I truly don't give a flying FUOK what BBB, HenryB or anyone's stance is on Ford. Truly, I give 0 fuoking fuoks. But this message board has been a part of my life for probably 25 years. It has to be top 5 fan run message boards in ALL of the big 4 American sports at ANY level. I hate watching it devolve into what I've seen from both sides in this thread. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Do you get tired of yelling at people on the internet? People you've never met? Do you get tired of calling people fools? Do you get tired of telling people they are embarrassing themselves? Why do you do it? 

why do you read his posts?

It is amazing to me how much of this boils down to what is happening is exactly what everyone expected would happen, yet everone on this board is still losing their s*#t about it.

When a coach has a season where the team is expected to do great things, but doesn't, he is going to be on the hot seat the following season.  When a coach has produced moderately good, but not great, results over a span of eight years, he is going to be on the hot seat the next season.

Signs a coach is on the hotseat include 1) some folks on a team fan message board wanting the coach out, 2) some boosters, not all, approaching the Athletic Department to show that they are upset, 3) the team play by play guy and a big media proponent for the team discussing, for the first time on air, that the coach has left folks questioning things.

So, let's all agree that Ford is on the hot seat.  He needs to show us changes next season.  He has to show that he can handle his pre-game and in game duties better than in the past, that he can handle his lineups better, and and that he can produce at a higher level.  I don't think he has to make the tournament next year or be fired.  But he does have to have us in a place at the end of next season where most folks feel as if he is the right guy moving forward.  If he doesn't do that, he should be replaced.

Also, whether it happens this season or next season, we better be able to get the right guy.  They people on this board have to realize that the reality may be that the right guy is not out there at the present.  If that is the case, then we would be doing a great deal of harm to our program to fire Ford and plug in someone just to make a change.  May, the top boosters, the administration, may all be thinking its time to make a change, but can't do it because they don't see the right candidate out there who would take the job.

TheA_Bomb likes this

39 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Love how guys react to some random person's interpretation of what a third person said as if its a statistic being given by a respected reporting agency.  If you listened to Frank's segement and are infuriated, that's fine.  Don't get infuriated over this rando's short blurb putting his spin on what Frank said.

I listened to it and posted how I felt. Frank putting the blame solely on the players for how this season turned out was extremely disingenuous.  

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It is amazing to me how much of this boils down to what is happening is exactly what everyone expected would happen, yet everone on this board is still losing their s*#t about it.

When a coach has a season where the team is expected to do great things, but doesn't, he is going to be on the hot seat the following season.  When a coach has produced moderately good, but not great, results over a span of eight years, he is going to be on the hot seat the next season.

Signs a coach is on the hotseat include 1) some folks on a team fan message board wanting the coach out, 2) some boosters, not all, approaching the Athletic Department to show that they are upset, 3) the team play by play guy and a big media proponent for the team discussing, for the first time on air, that the coach has left folks questioning things.

So, let's all agree that Ford is on the hot seat.  He needs to show us changes next season.  He has to show that he can handle his pre-game and in game duties better than in the past, that he can handle his lineups better, and and that he can produce at a higher level.  I don't think he has to make the tournament next year or be fired.  But he does have to have us in a place at the end of next season where most folks feel as if he is the right guy moving forward.  If he doesn't do that, he should be replaced.

Also, whether it happens this season or next season, we better be able to get the right guy.  They people on this board have to realize that the reality may be that the right guy is not out there at the present.  If that is the case, then we would be doing a great deal of harm to our program to fire Ford and plug in someone just to make a change.  May, the top boosters, the administration, may all be thinking its time to make a change, but can't do it because they don't see the right candidate out there who would take the job.

Ford being on a warm seat is literally the only thing 99% of this board will agree on.  You can still pro or against and agree on that.   

20 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I truly don't give a flying FUOK what BBB, HenryB or anyone's stance is on Ford. Truly, I give 0 fuoking fuoks. But this message board has been a part of my life for probably 25 years. It has to be top 5 fan run message boards in ALL of the big 4 American sports at ANY level. I hate watching it devolve into what I've seen from both sides in this thread. 

Huh?

Thanks for the radio show summary and link.  I just listened and I'm not surprised by their take on the situation.  What else can "The Voice of the Billikens" do but support the coach?

I also agree that with every passing hour it is less likely Ford is fired. 

So overall I'm disappointed. I think that we'll see more of the same next season. 

Perhaps, Ford can bring in some impact transfers that can give us hope.  However,  it is my opinion that his players aren't the shortcoming it's his coaching.  Yes reasonable arguments can explain the last 7 seasons but they ignore 25 years of underachieving. Seat is heating up and Mack said he needs a year.  So at least 1 more year unless there's a Doc C hail Mary or covid vaccine can turn Majerus into Zombie Majerus.

I'm going to try to avoid flaming for a bit (though I'm really good at it), so we can all come together and sing Cumbayah on the board. So don't provoke me. 

Is there anyone who actually wants Chris May or Fred Pestello to come out and say something? I feel like more people want the big donors who frequent this board and either give good information or put out the flames to come and say something. Just like they did with Yuri last year. Just like they did with some covid stuff. None of that required a response but those people spoke up for the sake of everyone 

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Is there anyone who actually wants Chris May or Fred Pestello to come out and say something? I feel like more people want the big donors who frequent this board and either give good information or put out the flames to come and say something. Just like they did with Yuri last year. Just like they did with some covid stuff. None of that required a response but those people spoke up for the sake of everyone 

May addressed it very clearly with Frank...with Stu....with Kilkoyne. I guess he could do it again but if people didn't believe him before why would one more time make a difference?

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

There will be some other vote of confidence statement by May at some point in his next media engagement. Just another kiss of death.  But I don't expect a direct statement on this situation. 

As for those critical of the boosters involved, this is what happens in D1 Athletics.  Big Money Donors expect influence,  information and results in exchange for their money. Maybe there's a unicorn that gives with no strings, but that's not normal.  If you win and keep your nose clean this doesn't happen. 

Just now, HenryB said:

May addressed it very clearly with Frank...with Stu....with Kilkoyne. I guess he could do it again but if people didn't believe him before why would one more time make a difference?

Exactly, the AD has made it very clear that the head coach next year is Travis Ford. Not sure what else can or needs to be done to make that any clearer.

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

There will be some other vote of confidence statement by May at some point in his next media engagement. Just another kiss of death.  But I don't expect a direct statement on this situation. 

As for those critical of the boosters involved, this is what happens in D1 Athletics.  Big Money Donors expect influence,  information and results in exchange for their money. Maybe there's a unicorn that gives with no strings, but that's not normal.  If you win and keep your nose clean this doesn't happen. 

my only criticism of the boosters is to let this "leak", doesnt help anything to let it out of the house

1 minute ago, HenryB said:

Henry, 

The issue is not that May addressed it, but how he addressed it. It boggles my mind that he thought he could go on the radio, say “everything is great, Ford will be the coach for a long time” and then not have any fan backlash. I don’t think it’s controversial to say that everything is at best “fine”. All he had to do is say, this year did not go as planned. We understand the frustration from our fanbase, but I believe in Travis Ford and he’s our coach going into 2023-24 season. 

He would have gotten some eye rolls and groans but overall, I believe the response would not have been so extreme. 

Bizziken and JMM28 like this

38 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree. I just hope that Billie Gillespie is still available this time next year.