2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to that too. I don't buy anything at all into the fact that they're recruiting and Rammer's comments are kind of annoying but yeah Ford is going to be our coach next year. Hope it works out. If Ford lands some studs in the portal and is even willing to slightly tweak his coaching philosophies, we have a chance to make some noise. 

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Listened to that too. I don't buy anything at all into the fact that they're recruiting and Rammer's comments are kind of annoying but yeah Ford is going to be our coach next year. Hope it works out. If Ford lands some studs in the portal and is even willing to slightly tweak his coaching philosophies, we have a chance to make some noise. 

I'd say that Ford being the coach next year is the likely outcome. However any sort of attempt that was made makes him dead man walking. A coaching regime can't survive when high level boosters have already tried replacing you. Most coaches in the midwest know Ford is dead man walking and will use it on the recruiting trail as well. 

slufan13 likes this

9 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I'd say that Ford being the coach next year is the likely outcome. However any sort of attempt that was made makes him dead man walking. A coaching regime can't survive when high level boosters have already tried replacing you. Most coaches in the midwest know Ford is dead man walking and will use it on the recruiting trail as well. 

One or two boosters were referenced in the interview. At no point was it suggested that it was a large number/majority of the boosters. There are always going to be a couple who are unhappy/frustrated. Ford was never in danger of losing his job but some wanted it to be true so badly that they abandoned all reason.  The same can be said for any of the Dead Man Walking nonsense. Wanting it to be true doesn't make it so.

16 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Can someone summarize the radio broadcast?

The idea of firing Ford was ludicrous and the product of a few loud mouthed boosters. What wasn’t mentioned that it gained traction from wanna be big shots who wanted some attention. Bob also added that it was never worthy of discussion.

28 minutes ago, longtimelistenerfirsttimec said:

did everyone who thinks ford will be fired listen to frank c bob r a few minutes ago this is not happening so go tear up your tickets are write a nasty letter or what ever you need to deal with reality but give it up

According to courtside’s boosters/sources Ford is out. If he isn’t, would it be fair to say courtsides boosters got it handed to them by some more influential boosters? Could there be only one booster that can get a coach fired? Does courtside lose all credibility for stating he was gone and then coming back days later and downgrading his claim to a maybe?

dennis_w, thetorch and HenryB like this

35 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Can someone summarize the radio broadcast?

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Segment 2, starting at about 5 minutes.

Ramsey:  It's like a student who expected to get an A and be on the Honor Roll, got a B in the class.

Ramsey:  Perhaps the program was loyal to a fault.  Should they have gotten some big time transfers, taking minutes away from players you were loyal to. Example, brought in a 6'7" dynamic PF, and Perkins plays only 12 minute per game. Would the community been up in arms?

Frank repeated, instead of buying out a coach, use the money to buy players.

Rammer:  the Mid-Majors have a money issue, do you gift the Athletic Department or do you fund the NIL pool, or split your annual giving by 50%. Or do you double your giving? 

Frank:  how do you handle a booster, a big one, who wants to fire the coach.  Rammer:  simply fire the Play by Play guy and move on. 

Frank:  you can't allow one or two boosters dictate your program, no matter how much they contribute.

Frank:  Ford and Tate were in Houston yesterday recruiting and ended their day at Hutchinson KS at the JUCO tourney.  Change isn't going to happen.

Rammer:  the challenge will be results next season, when the buyout will lower. Ford and the staff should have heat on them.  They need to perform.

2 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Hanging on to the bitter end

Honestly, at this point I just want this resolved one way or the other right now.  

If Ford is still the coach I can rejoice in the fact that I and others have some great stuff to dunk on a certain poster with.

thetorch likes this

The PR from Frank, Rammer, May, etc is kind of weird. Like it's pretty reasonable to support Ford. He's brought us a lot of really solid seasons and genuinely seems like a really good guy. But we've had some really underachieving seasons when you consider the roster and the money invested in the program and all these people are pushing hard that not only should we be happy but also that to think otherwise makes you stupid

Bizziken likes this

I’m with @brianstl I just want an answer one way or the other. Just want better results going forward. If it’s with Ford? Great! If it’s with someone else? Great! But this continuing to linger is just frustrating. The window to make a move is incredibly tight with the portal. 

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The PR from Frank, Rammer, May, etc is kind of weird. Like it's pretty reasonable to support Ford. He's brought us a lot of really solid seasons and genuinely seems like a really good guy. But we've had some really underachieving seasons when you consider the roster and the money invested in the program and all these people are pushing hard that not only should we be happy but also that to think otherwise makes you stupid

Very odd and heavy handed.

If you can’t see that there are valid reasons to keep Ford and valid reasons to move on from Ford you aren’t looking hard enough. 

Going on air and ridiculing boosters and fans who feel differently than them shows they have an agenda. 

slufan13 and Bizziken like this

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

Only listened to the first few minutes (with screaming children surrounding me) but did Rammer actually say that if you would like to see Ford replaced because of results-oriented thinking you may be right but that it isn't a convincing argument?

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Only listened to the first few minutes (with screaming children surrounding me) but did Rammer actually say that if you would like to see Ford replaced because of results-oriented thinking you may be right but that it isn't a convincing argument?

I would argue results are the only argument.

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

At what point are you going to accept the facts? May told Cusumano, Durando, and Kilcoyne that Ford was our coach for years to come. He didn't have to use those words, he chose to. Rammer and Frank confirming that doesn't qualify as a PR campaign. Yes, they like Ford but they weren't trying to save his job because they knew he wasn't going to lose it.

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Ford hater