2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

I exposed this a few years ago on the board and I can't find the thread it but here is courtside's MO

Make huge earth shattering predictions that convince sheeple on the board that you are surely an "insider"

Then slowly back away from those predictions

Then make predictions the complete opposite of the original one

No matter what occurs proclaim yourself knowledgeable in the end.

Expand cult following on the board and repeat

There are dozens of regular posters on this board who don't hide behind anonymous handles and make vague predictions who actually know what is going on in the program.  Just DM them here or talk to them at games or events.

Lol. I think you’re projecting again. 

Still unhealthily obsessed? Just hit the troll button. Oh wait, after doing that on every one of my posts for 3 months, it’s no longer available. Now I see why you did that instead of just speaking/projecting. Maybe get a hobby or try therapy. Hero worship/scapegoating isn’t a healthy way to go through life  

Keyboard tough guy that isn’t so tough while standing next to people.

Schasz likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

I can’t believe I’m going to defend courtside again and he probably doesn’t want me to.  But…..  

I have my issues with him and he sure has issues with me, but the guy isn’t going to make up stuff, get ahead of himself or wish cast in posts on a situation like this. His reputation is on the line when he makes a post like these and his reputation as a credible source on here is way too important to him.  I would argue he takes protecting that reputation too far to an extreme sometimes, but that probably isn’t relevant here.

Plus, I have no doubt I know for sure who one of his sources is, how that person is connected to this and that source has absolutely nothing to gain from getting a narrative out there.  That dude is going to be doing great no matter how this plays out so there is no need for him to tell Courtside anything but the complete truth. 

There are a ton of moving pieces on board right now, but I feel when this all plays out Courtside will have scooped everyone on this even if it pains me to admit it.

Blink twice if you are being held hostage Brian. 

“The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing people he didn’t exist.”

JGR6396 and Duff Man like this

26 minutes ago, brianstl said:

He has an NBA job.  If I was him I don’t think I would necessarily be interested in college head coaching job.  I defensively wouldn’t have my agent out there campaigning for me to get a college job.  

The NBA lifestyle is pretty good and you get real downtime in the off season.  

All that said, I think college basketball programs that want to get ahead of the curve should take a hard look not at just NBA coaches, but NBA front office people.  The college game is changing rapidly in every way.  You need people that aren’t set in the way the game was before.  You are going to need coaches that accept this in now completely a business and know how to operate in that environment.  At a program like SLU you could definitely benefit from having someone (not the head coach) that has a NBA talent evaluation background. Not one of their college talent evaluators, but a pro talent evaluator.  A guy that can put a price on what a guy is worth presently and not potentially.  I don’t think a program like SLU can be in the talent development business with the resources available and given the fact NIL deals are really only a one year contracts.  SLU can’t be overpaying multiple misses on the guys they give the most money to.  There just isn’t going to be enough money to fill a competitive roster with a mistake or two like there would be at a UK, KU or Texas.

If he doesn’t want be a college head coach I get it, lifestyle is much better in the NBA. If that were the case, then I don’t see why anyone would waste their time thinking he would want the SLU job.  If he did want to be a college head, it seems like he could become one without waiting for SLU.  You are spot on about the need for someone with NBA experience as an assistant coach at the college level. Someone like that could help with identifying talent and spending NIL money wisely.  

42 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This thread is better than Yellowstone. 

Yes, it is! Personally, I think the coup attempt at the ranch has failed, and Kevin Costner remains head of the Dutton family ranch, but who can tell for sure? Tune in for more excitement on the next episode!

51 minutes ago, courtside said:

Still unhealthily obsessed? Just hit the troll button. Oh wait, after doing that on every one of my posts for 3 months, it’s no longer available. Now I see why you did that instead of just speaking/projecting. Maybe get a hobby or try therapy. Hero worship/scapegoating isn’t a healthy way to go through life  

The troll buttons need to make a comeback 

2 hours ago, Billfan7 said:

My 2 cents.  Seemingly a lot to like.  He is a relatively young upcoming NBA assistant who will be able to relate to young players.  Known for player development - he is currently Ja Morant's shooting coach.  Will run pro stuff - you wont see the weave.  Understands and will utilize modern analytics.  Tireless worker.  He may be the x's and o's guy people on this board repeatedly state we need.

Big question mark: Can he recruit?  Never coached college ball that I know of.  He does not have a big name like a Stackhouse or Hardaway. But he has coached locally at the high school level.

I'd take Crews back, if it meant the Globetrotter weave goes away. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

You do realize that a. the weave was not prevalent in this season comparatively. b. it actually serves a purpose.

I've never seen it do anything other than running 10 seconds off the shot clock, and getting the ball back to the exact place it started.  It may serve a purpose, if run effectively, but I've never seen it with our Billikens. 

billiken_roy likes this

We are getting close to the point where you just have to stick with Ford. You really need to have a new coach in place prior to the final four. It certainly appears someone is trying to make something happen but it's time for May and Pestello to either go with it or stop it. And maybe they have stopped it and we just don't know but Frank still being active about this makes me think the wheels are still spinning in the background

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Blink twice if you are being held hostage Brian. 

“The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing people he didn’t exist.”

Thanks Keyser.  Courtside as Keyser Söze?  Sorry, Torch needs to find that thread he referenced earlier.  Arrogant, know it all, pompous, puffed-up, and self-important are all adequate adjectives to describe you, old buddy.  Egotistical and mercurial as well but not dishonest or trolling unless provoked.......

18 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

I've never seen it do anything other than running 10 seconds off the shot clock, and getting the ball back to the exact place it started.  It may serve a purpose, if run effectively, but I've never seen it with our Billikens. 

Like setting a screen, the Billikens may not execute it great but it does serve a purpose.....

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Thanks Keyser.  Courtside as Keyser Söze?  Sorry, Torch needs to find that thread he referenced earlier.  Arrogant, know it all, pompous, puffed-up, and self-important are all adequate adjectives to describe you, old buddy.  Egotistical and mercurial as well but not dishonest or trolling unless provoked.......

It's another keyboard tough guy that doesn't recognize his own angst and projections. If you have nothing to add to the board of any substance, let's troll the people who do for attention.

17 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

We are getting close to the point where you just have to stick with Ford. You really need to have a new coach in place prior to the final four. It certainly appears someone is trying to make something happen but it's time for May and Pestello to either go with it or stop it. And maybe they have stopped it and we just don't know but Frank still being active about this makes me think the wheels are still spinning in the background

i agree, transfer portal is very active now and unless they have secretly hired a guy who is working it a new guy will be behind. different coach will have to re-recruit present roster and signees along with whoever else to fill the roster. need him on board sooner than later or put a stop to these rumors

5 minutes ago, courtside said:

It's another keyboard tough guy that doesn't recognize his own angst and projections. If you have nothing to add to the board of any substance, let's troll the people who do for attention.

Just wondering...is this back and forth an example of personal attacks BBF was criticized for?🤔

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

For some he is the golden cape.  Ever since Sodie pulled the rug out from under his schollie offer when Romar left there has been this interest in things all Blake Ahern.  I am like you - not sure why his name is so prominent it is not like he has historical ties to SLU.

I'd rather have that F'er from Minnesota than Ahearn.

JMM28 and cheeseman like this

3 hours ago, courtside said:

Personal attacks. Another of your MOs. Projecting what you do onto others, another. I hit the troll button on your posts because you are a troll. I was utilizing the functions available to me. Now instead I'm forced to respond to you when you make outlandishly vague statements. If you want real credibility say the names of the people trying to buy out Ford. You are anonymous on here anyway who will know. 

I'm no internet tough guy. Dozens of board members know where I sit at games. Sec 213 row K seat 1. Now you do too. I'd love to talk to you.

SLU didn't fire Travis last week so it's not happening this offseason. When do we hit the point, where we stop crying about Travis and start trying to get behind him to land some transfers?

It's not a great look when trying to land recruits when the entire fanbase is consistently pouting and wanting something that's not going to happen. 

The fire has been lit under his seat and Chris May knows it. Next year will be a make or break year, so rather than rooting for SLU's and Travis' downfall, let's support him for the time being and if things go wrong next season, then we can all cancel our season tickets if Travis is still at the helm. 

1 minute ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

There's no fun in that in my opinion! But I guess ignorance is bliss to some. Not sure why some people get so worked up and take things personal enough they need to block people. 

I guess different strokes for different folks...what might work for some doesn't for others!

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

Personal attacks. Another of your MOs. Projecting what you do onto others, another. I hit the troll button on your posts because you are a troll. I was utilizing the functions available to me. Now instead I'm forced to respond to you when you make outlandishly vague statements. If you want real credibility say the names of the people trying to buy out Ford. You are anonymous on here anyway who will know. 

I'm no internet tough guy. Dozens of board members know where I sit at games. Sec 213 row K seat 1. Now you do too. I'd love to talk to you.

This message board provides more entertainment than most of our games this past season. I love it!

majerus mojo likes this