2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

24 minutes ago, HenryB said:

I see...the only time someone should express an opinion is when they agree with the mob. Sadly, that's pretty much where we are today - dissent is not tolerated. 

I think it's good he did the segment.  Only turning up the heat on Travis Ford. Like I've pointed out, those involved know how much they shelled out for Yuri.  So they know the portal isn't going to help. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I think it's good he did the segment.  Only turning up the heat on Travis Ford. Like I've pointed out, those involved know how much they shelled out for Yuri.  So they know the portal isn't going to help. 

The portal and NIL money spent does not come with a money back guarantee. It would be interesting to know, of all the NIL big money deals that were made last year, how many of them don’t look very good now that the season is done? I’m sure it’s easy to point out a few success stories like Miami, but how does NC feel about how their money was spent?  What percentage of these deals are actually regarded as a success by the people who paid the money? And what’s the answer for next season? Spend even more NIL money?

Just now, Lord Elrond said:

The portal does not come with a money back guarantee. It would be interesting to know, of all the NIL big money deals that were made last year, how many of them don’t look very good now that the season is done? I’m sure it’s easy to point out a few success stories like Miami, but how does NC feel about how their money was spent?  What percentage of these deals are actually regarded as a success by the people who paid the money? And what’s the answer for next season? Spend even more NIL money?

We're certainly in learning mode on the Portal.  But to answer your question 50/50

Billfan7 likes this

33 minutes ago, courtside said:

Lol. It isn’t a message board rumor. Frank isn’t going to get riled up about a message board rumor. I’m the one who shared it here to say it was happening. It was happening whether or not I shared it here. Frank was still not going to like it whether or not it was shared here, because Frank didn’t find out about it here. (No offense to the board.)

It’s a message board rumor to you because this is where you heard about it, and, this is where you are getting your information about it. But it’s anything but a message board rumor to Frank, or me, or anyone else involved. 

Frank knows some of the people involved, and, a few of them he knows very well. That, and his friendship with Travis are why he’s so upset by it. 

You obviously are clued in, but what I don’t get is you said  “multiple sources told you Ford was out”.  Based on your reputation as a reliable source when you said that you floored this board, and you knew it would. Today you downgraded that to it “might happen”That’s a huge difference. You wouldn’t have posted that he was out if you weren’t pretty darn sure. What the hell happened? 

HenryB and BuiltFordBills like this

11 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Nope. That’s not how this works.

how do you average numbers? i didnt learn common core cold include covid short season and use winning percentage, which a believe is jus short of 70% please show your work when you tell me my arithmetic is wrong so i will understand how it works

34 minutes ago, DOC said:

You obviously are clued in, but what I don’t get is you said  “multiple sources told you Ford was out”.  Based on your reputation as a reliable source when you said that you floored this board, and you knew it would. Today you downgraded that to it “might happen”That’s a huge difference. You wouldn’t have posted that he was out if you weren’t pretty darn sure. What the hell happened? 

Sometimes things are true at the time and then change, he wasn't writing a testimony to the Supreme Court.  It was a message board post so cut the dude some slack.  Obviously the dude has connections let's not run off another poster with connections like has happened in the past.

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Sometimes things are true at the time and then change, he wasn't writing a testimony to the Supreme Court.  It was a message board post so cut the dude some slack.  Obviously the dude has connections let's not run off another poster with connections like has happened in the past.

Chill. I agree he’s connected, that’s why asked about the big change over a few days. Let him speak for himself. And he made a huge call on this one and you don’t get to downgrade that to an opinion without being questioned. 

BigMouthBilliken and slu72 like this

7 hours ago, slu92 said:

Mack would be great! Why would Ahearn leave NBA for SLU job he’s one of the top assistant coaches in NBA under 40? Don’t see that happening. Kelsey would be interesting and I read Marshall’s wife is a big factor why he hasn’t gotten another job yet. Too bad Mike Brey just signed with S Florida. 

Most people would change jobs for a $1-2M raise

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I can’t believe I’m going to defend courtside again and he probably doesn’t want me to.  But…..  

I have my issues with him and he sure has issues with me, but the guy isn’t going to make up stuff, get ahead of himself or wish cast in posts on a situation like this. His reputation is on the line when he makes a post like these and his reputation as a credible source on here is way too important to him.  I would argue he takes protecting that reputation too far to an extreme sometimes, but that probably isn’t relevant here.

Plus, I have no doubt I know for sure who one of his sources is, how that person is connected to this and that source has absolutely nothing to gain from getting a narrative out there.  That dude is going to be doing great no matter how this plays out so there is no need for him to tell Courtside anything but the complete truth. 

There are a ton of moving pieces on board right now, but I feel when this all plays out Courtside will have scooped everyone on this even if it pains me to admit it.

Can someone please explain to me why Ahearn would be a home run hire? Aside from being an NBA assistant, winning a G League title as head coach (no clue If that is supposed to be impressive or not), being local, and having a hot sister?

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I can’t believe I’m going to defend courtside again and he probably doesn’t want me to.  But…..  

I have my issues with him and he sure has issues with me, but the guy isn’t going to make up stuff, get ahead of himself or wish cast in posts on a situation like this. His reputation is on the line when he makes a post like these and his reputation as a credible source on here is way too important to him.  I would argue he takes protecting that reputation too far to an extreme sometimes, but that probably is relevant here.

Plus, I have no doubt I know for sure who one of his sources is, how that person is connected to this and that source has absolutely nothing to gain from getting a narrative out there.  That dude is going to be doing great no matter how this plays out so there is no need for him to tell Courtside anything but the complete truth. 

There are a ton of moving pieces on board right now, but I feel when this all plays out Courtside will have scooped everyone on this even if it pains me to admit it.

So your saying Ford is out?

Just now, DOC said:

Whatever they decide it needs to be soon. 

No doubt.  

The sooner this ends one way or the other, the better.  I don’t think how any of this most likely came to a head right at this moment is a good thing for any of the people involved.  There aren’t any good guys or bad guys here. Just people, some anger, some bruised egos, some hurt feelings and a lot money.

55 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I have my issues with him and he sure has issues with me, but the guy isn’t going to make up stuff, get ahead of himself or wish cast in posts on a situation like this. His reputation is on the line when he makes a post like these and his reputation as a credible source on here is way too important to him.  I would argue he takes protecting that reputation too far to an extreme sometimes, but that probably isn’t relevant here.

I exposed this a few years ago on the board and I can't find the thread it but here is courtside's MO

Make huge earth shattering predictions that convince sheeple on the board that you are surely an "insider"

Then slowly back away from those predictions

Then make predictions the complete opposite of the original one

No matter what occurs proclaim yourself knowledgeable in the end.

Expand cult following on the board and repeat

There are dozens of regular posters on this board who don't hide behind anonymous handles and make vague predictions who actually know what is going on in the program.  Just DM them here or talk to them at games or events.

7 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Can someone please explain to me why Ahearn would be a home run hire? Aside from being an NBA assistant, winning a G League title as head coach (no clue If that is supposed to be impressive or not), being local, and having a hot sister?

For some he is the golden cape.  Ever since Sodie pulled the rug out from under his schollie offer when Romar left there has been this interest in things all Blake Ahern.  I am like you - not sure why his name is so prominent it is not like he has historical ties to SLU.

8 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

If he wants to be a college head coach, aren’t there plenty of openings he could try for? Why isn’t he drawing interest from other universities?  I have nothing against him, it just doesn’t seem like we could be his only other career option.

8 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

My 2 cents.  Seemingly a lot to like.  He is a relatively young upcoming NBA assistant who will be able to relate to young players.  Known for player development - he is currently Ja Morant's shooting coach.  Will run pro stuff - you wont see the weave.  Understands and will utilize modern analytics.  Tireless worker.  He may be the x's and o's guy people on this board repeatedly state we need.

Big question mark: Can he recruit?  Never coached college ball that I know of.  He does not have a big name like a Stackhouse or Hardaway. But he has coached locally at the high school level.

TheA_Bomb likes this

7 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

If he wants to be a college head coach, aren’t there plenty of openings he could try for? Why isn’t he drawing interest from other universities?  I have nothing against him, it just doesn’t seem like we could be his only other career option.

He has an NBA job.  If I was him I don’t think I would necessarily be interested in college head coaching job.  I defensively wouldn’t have my agent out there campaigning for me to get a college job.  

The NBA lifestyle is pretty good and you get real downtime in the off season.  

All that said, I think college basketball programs that want to get ahead of the curve should take a hard look not at just NBA coaches, but NBA front office people.  The college game is changing rapidly in every way.  You need people that aren’t set in the way the game was before.  You are going to need coaches that accept this in now completely a business and know how to operate in that environment.  At a program like SLU you could definitely benefit from having someone (not the head coach) that has a NBA talent evaluation background. Not one of their college talent evaluators, but a pro talent evaluator.  A guy that can put a price on what a guy is worth presently and not potentially.  I don’t think a program like SLU can be in the talent development business with the resources available and given the fact NIL deals are really only a one year contracts.  SLU can’t be overpaying multiple misses on the guys they give the most money to.  There just isn’t going to be enough money to fill a competitive roster with a mistake or two like there would be at a UK, KU or Texas.

TheA_Bomb likes this