2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Continued onto Mizzou who is putting together a NIL deal to buy Kobe Brown's final year.  Said that is where the money should go, to players.

Well Frank, we’d have more money to pay the players if we weren’t overpaying the head coach, wouldn’t we?

19 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

That’s genuinely infuriating. 

What did Frank say that wasn’t true???? Don’t tell me you Ford haters are going soft? I mean after all you assured us there was nothing personal about your criticism towards Travis, right? Hey after all, they are paid professionals too.

8 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

What did Frank say that wasn’t true???? Don’t tell me you Ford haters are going soft? I mean after all you assured us there was nothing personal about your criticism towards Travis, right? Hey after all, they are paid professionals too.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen Travis use Frank as a mouthpiece. He did the exact same thing last year when Yuri went into the portal. 

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

We have been butting heads over the Ford thing for a few months now but I totally agree with you here.(except For the “Ford Haters” part) 

Cussamano didn’t say anything crazy. 

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Listened to the Opening Monologue.  Frank didn't say anything that hasn't been repeated many times.  Ultimately it is the coach's responsibility when they don't win, but some of it is on the players.  On Perkins, God bless him, but physically and health wise he just didn't come back.  On Yuri, he is a great PG but isn't the one to get a winning bucket at the end of game.  On Gibson, he can be guarded.  On the centers, they were inconsistent, they played their hearts out.  

Continued onto Mizzou who is putting together a NIL deal to buy Kobe Brown's final year.  Said that is where the money should go, to players.

Listen to the segment before you comment.  Make your own decisions on if you agree or not with Frank.

Thanks for sharing!

I figured he said  something pretty mild and someone overreacted.

I like Cussamano but he’s not some “hot take” “gotcha” reporter. He’s pretty vanilla. I would be surprised if he really went after someone. 

HoosierPal likes this

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Thanks for sharing!

I figured he said  something pretty mild and someone overreacted.

I like Cussamano but he’s not some “hot take” “gotcha” reporter. He’s pretty vanilla. I would be surprised if he really went after someone. 

he didnt

9 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Well it’s been a few days without any actual substance, just speculation. Should have figured since SLU is too “small time” to do anything meaningful. Just more of the same 

Frank said nothing crazy, the players underperformed at times, no one’s arguing. The same has been said by many people on here many times.  
He did leave out that the coach also didn’t get the best out of his players. Does the coach not also bear responsibility when the team underperforms?  The team was picked to play far better than it did by many, including Frank.

All facts on this post, no hate involved

Frank getting so riled up about this is pretty telling. I still think Ford is the coach next year. Frank is almost turning more people against Ford if that was even possible. It's all kind of weird. Like when has a sports radio guy done multiple segments on a message board rumor. Credit to Steve for the power of this board 

TheChosenOne likes this

5 hours ago, slu92 said:

I’ve been watching and hearing a lot, but on what Frank said…didn’t Travis have all the resources at OK State when there was no NIL? I think he did. He came to slu needed new lockers-got them, needed champions center - got it, and a whole list of other asks Majerus didn’t have or probably need, granted a lot has changed since he coached at slu. My point is slu has everything to compete right now, except a coach. If paying players automatically wins your conference or a championship then why even start the mlb baseball season in 9    days or so just give the Mets the WS trophy now! Plus NIL wasn’t around the year we got lucky and slipped into NCAA….Frank is way off on this imo. It’s not on donors they have actually come through big time, you can get a team of 5 stars and with the same guy coaching them probably get same results. Not a good in game coach, so NIL now makes a “great recruiter” less important than a real X’s and O’s Coach based on what Frank just said. We will see, should be a very interesting few days. 

A painful realization 

29 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Well it’s been a few days without any actual substance, just speculation. Should have figured since SLU is too “small time” to do anything meaningful. Just more of the same 

Majerus wasn’t meaningful enough for you bigmouth?

Billiken Rich likes this

9 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Frank getting so riled up about this is pretty telling. I still think Ford is the coach next year. Frank is almost turning more people against Ford if that was even possible. It's all kind of weird. Like when has a sports radio guy done multiple segments on a message board rumor. Credit to Steve for the power of this board 

I think if SLU was going to make a move, they should have already made it.  Every day they don’t puts them further behind the curve. Other schools have made moves, both hiring and firing, several good coaches have already been hired. I think at this point it’s probably best to get the best players we can.
Travis Ford cannot be surprised at any of this reaction to last season.  Frank Cusumano cannot be surprised by this either.

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

I think if SLU was going to make a move, they should have already made it.  Every day they don’t puts them further behind the curve. Other schools have made moves, both hiring and firing, several good coaches have already been hired. I think at this point it’s probably best to get the best players we can.
Travis Ford cannot be surprised at any of this reaction to last season.  Frank Cusumano cannot be surprised by this either.

Yeah unless they have someone lined up already, it's getting to be too late. 

The staff appears to be hammering the transfer portal. This is good and gives us a chance. The other potential good from this situation is that it's gotta be a wake up call. Something has to change. Whether it's roster construction, coaching staff, coaching philosophy, etc. 

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yeah unless they have someone lined up already, it's getting to be too late. 

The staff appears to be hammering the transfer portal. This is good and gives us a chance. The other potential good from this situation is that it's gotta be a wake up call. Something has to change. Whether it's roster construction, coaching staff, coaching philosophy, etc. 

how meaningful  can their visits be with all of the Ford is on the way out nonsense? I honestly believe you caring, compassionate, Ford detractors are much more interested in getting rid of the coach than bringing in star recruits…

3 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

how meaningful  can their visits be with all of the Ford is on the way out nonsense? I honestly believe you caring, compassionate, Ford detractors are much more interested in getting rid of the coach than bringing in star recruits…

Because we’ve seen what this coach does with his star recruits. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Listened to the Opening Monologue.  Frank didn't say anything that hasn't been repeated many times.  Ultimately it is the coach's responsibility when they don't win, but some of it is on the players.  On Perkins, God bless him, but physically and health wise he just didn't come back.  On Yuri, he is a great PG but isn't the one to get a winning bucket at the end of game.  On Gibson, he can be guarded.  On the centers, they were inconsistent, they played their hearts out.  

Listen to the segment before you comment.  Make your own decisions on if you agree or not with Frank.

Not surprising. Have yet to see any member of the local media at least ask tough questions of Ford about late game collapse, decision making, etc.

The only nugget of truth in this regard was when Stu once included Ford’s record vs top 3 A10 teams, well under .500…cannot throw this yeast’s players under the bus to discredit that one.

43 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Lol. It isn’t a message board rumor. Frank isn’t going to get riled up about a message board rumor. I’m the one who shared it here to say it was happening. It was happening whether or not I shared it here. Frank was still not going to like it whether or not it was shared here, because Frank didn’t find out about it here. (No offense to the board.)

It’s a message board rumor to you because this is where you heard about it, and, this is where you are getting your information about it. But it’s anything but a message board rumor to Frank, or me, or anyone else involved. 

Frank knows some of the people involved, and, a few of them he knows very well. That, and his friendship with Travis are why he’s so upset by it. 

Tonka likes this

2 minutes ago, courtside said:

Lol. It isn’t a message board rumor. Frank isn’t going to get riled up about a message board rumor. I’m the one who shared it here to say it was happening. It was happening whether or not I shared it here. Frank was still not going to like it whether or not it was I shared here, because Frank didn’t find out about it here. (No offense to the board.)

It’s a message board rumor to you because this is where you heard about it, and, this is where you are getting your information about it. But it’s anything but a message board rumor to Frank, or me, or anyone else involved. 

Frank knows some of the people involved, and, a few of them he knows very well. That, and his friendship with Travis are why he’s so upset by it. 

No I totally agree with you and I'm not trying to dismiss your information as a rumor. Clearly there is something going on here. I'm just saying that had it never been posted here, I'm not sure Frank would be as adamant as he is now. Like you said, he would still know the wheels are turning behind the scenes but he may feel less of a need to draw attention to it. You obviously have a great pulse on this situation and I know you wouldn't post a senselsss rumor.

4 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Cusumano is even being mocked by other A10 fans. Not sure why he felt the need to post that segment 

I see...the only time someone should express an opinion is when they agree with the mob. Sadly, that's pretty much where we are today - dissent is not tolerated. 

DOC likes this