2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't read anything into the fact that the staff are out there recruiting. If the rumors are true, it's pretty easy to see that this is above May's head so I'm sure he's not out there telling the staff to cease all work. And at least all of Ford's assistants would be looking for a new job so you never stop recruiting/building relationships. Ford may very well be retained but I don't think the fact that we are recruiting means anything at all.

32 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Majerus whipped his wang out in front of players and no one seemed to have a problem with that.  Then again, everyone was a little less sensitive back in ‘08.   Not advocating for Marshall, just saying…

What's this story now?!?!

1 minute ago, Bilzz said:

What's this story now?!?!

6 inches the average length of a white male 🐔!  That's how demanding he was on spacing for screens. 

Also allegedly shat in a towel for some reason. 

Come on keep up on the salacious coach stuff.

Next you're going to tell me you don't know who Joey Freshwater is....

JMM28 likes this

I saw that the likely replacement to English at George Mason is the Associate Head Coach at Virginia.  I went to look at their coaching roster and noticed that Soderberg is no longer listed as a "coach" and for the last 2 years has been their "Director of Scouting."

This is exactly what Ford needs.  Let all your assistants recruit like crazy, but get someone on staff that can Xs and Os like crazy that has no desire to recruit. This is similar to what Martelli has been doing at Michigan.

Call Mike Waldo at SIUE.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Look if getting an at large bid or a conference tourney trophy is how to get into the Dance then I can assure you that 26 wins is better than 22.5.  Making it to the tourney final adds games to your win total.  The big problem I see is unless you as a mid major dominate your league your are screwed.  Ford has never dominated anything since being here except for his tourney run 5 years ago.  To bad he could not have used that as a springboard.  Remember people want hope and when there is not really anything to hope for fans will get disengaged.  Ford has managed to accomplish this regardless of his 22.5 win simply by not bringing home the bacon now and then.  

I do think it is a fair question to ask who would I bring in but I am not making the big bucks to make that decision so it is mute.  This is why we pay May.

Yes, but if May wants Ford then you have no use for him… by the way, the rest of the A10 wants to thank you for your continued efforts to hamper SLU’S recruiting efforts!

14 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Just shows you the sicknesses of some people… winning at the cost of anything and everything… sort of sums up the world we live in now..

Nah in the world we live in now you can't get away with this stuff anymore even a poke to the chest. 

I'm curious about the psychology of BBF. Any criticism of the team/ coach is disloyalty.  Previously,  one of your arguments was that the big money donors or May didn't want to fire Ford (or is that from another poster).  This was seen as an argument for Ford.  Appeal to authority, which is the weakest form of argument.  Anyway, if Ford is fired does all your defense just go down a memory hole and you jump on new coach band wagon?

Just curious about the psychology here is all. 

2 hours ago, SLUDrew said:

A very basic question for those who think he should retain his job and I mean this with no snark whatsoever;

What have you seen that gives you such strong conviction about your stance? Why in your mind is Ford the guy to take this program to the proverbial "next level?"

Personally, I cant get past an 0fer against top 25 opponents in seven years AND never finishing higher than 4th in a rapidly declining league.

To put a bit more flavor on this.

SLU vs Top 4 A-10 opponents, including the A-10 Conference Tournament (Regular Season record in parentheses):

2016-17: 0-5 (0-5)

2017-18: 1-5 (1-4)

2018-19: 4-4 (1-4)

2019-20: 2-2 (2-2)

2020-21: 3-2 (2-1)

2021-22: 3-5 (2-4)

2022-23: 1-5 (1-4)

TOTAL RECORD: 14-28 (9-24)

TOTAL RECORD (factoring 16-17 out): 14-23 (9-19)

TOTAL RECORD (factoring 16-17 out, 19-20 COVID out, 20-21 COVID out): 9-19 (5-16)

36 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2008/01/16/majerus0121

long read, but a good one. You’re gonna want to focus on Doleac’s quotes for what I was referring to. 

He's not alone. During a game in 1999 Majerus gathered his team around him during a timeout and zeroed in on struggling center Nate Althoff. "You've got none of these," Majerus growled, and then reached over and lightly backhanded Althoff's groin. "You've got no nuts!"

17 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Nah in the world we live in now you can't get away with this stuff anymore even a poke to the chest. 

I'm curious about the psychology of BBF. Any criticism of the team/ coach is disloyalty.  Previously,  one of your arguments was that the big money donors or May didn't want to fire Ford (or is that from another poster).  This was seen as an argument for Ford.  Appeal to authority, which is the weakest form of argument.  Anyway, if Ford is fired does all your defense just go down a memory hole and you jump on new coach band wagon?

Just curious about the psychology here is all. 

You want me to speculate about someone I don’t know??? I think Ford is a solid coach and has established a program that will be consistently competitive. I believe in continuity and see the benefits of building something step by step. Davidson and St Bonaventure both showed this approach can work. SLU is never going to have the assets of a P6 school and trying to operate like them is a mistake. The real gamblers are those who want to blow up a program who has consistently won 20+ games and HOPE things Might be better. The smart money is building on the successes you already have. That said, if you want to bash Ford, do it honestly. To make statements that his teams never use a screen ( when they were 2nd in scoring), that he never listens to his coaches, lie about his actual record, just undermines your credibility.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I wouldn't read anything into the fact that the staff are out there recruiting. If the rumors are true, it's pretty easy to see that this is above May's head so I'm sure he's not out there telling the staff to cease all work. And at least all of Ford's assistants would be looking for a new job so you never stop recruiting/building relationships. Ford may very well be retained but I don't think the fact that we are recruiting means anything at all.

I said Ford out recruiting. I get that the staff would be out that’s why I left them out of the discussion. 

Just now, DOC said:

I said Ford out recruiting. I get that the staff would be out that’s why I left them out of the discussion. 

Again why would he not be recruiting? Clearly in this situation, boosters are going over May's head to make this potentially happen. Why would anyone tell Ford to stop recruiting? 

Just now, slufan13 said:

Again why would he not be recruiting? Clearly in this situation, boosters are going over May's head to make this potentially happen. Why would anyone tell Ford to stop recruiting? 

And if Ford just stopped recruiting, he would be throwing in the towel - giving way to everyone 

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

“Clearly boosters are going over May’s head to fire ford.” So you’re the one guy that knows what’s clearly happening. Nobody else here knows what’s going on, except you. 

Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, Bizziken said:

To put a bit more flavor on this.

SLU vs Top 4 A-10 opponents, including the A-10 Conference Tournament (Regular Season record in parentheses):

2016-17: 0-5 (0-5)

2017-18: 1-5 (1-4)

2018-19: 4-4 (1-4)

2019-20: 2-2 (2-2)

2020-21: 3-2 (2-1)

2021-22: 3-5 (2-4)

2022-23: 1-5 (1-4)

TOTAL RECORD: 14-28 (9-24)

TOTAL RECORD (factoring 16-17 out): 14-23 (9-19)

TOTAL RECORD (factoring 16-17 out, 19-20 COVID out, 20-21 COVID out): 9-19 (5-16)

Wow

Thanks for sharing

How in the world is this acceptable?

Again, why was Coach Stone held to higher standards? I am not being a Coach Stone apologist. I do think there should be some consistency in terms of acceptable outcomes, however. I think given where the programs were when they each took over, Coach Stone had a far more successful tenure. 

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Not sure who is in Frank's ear or if it's just his friendship with Ford but this isn't a great look for him, Ford, May, SLU, and fans in general. 

Ewww

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Not sure who is in Frank's ear or if it's just his friendship with Ford but this isn't a great look for him, Ford, May, SLU, and fans in general. 

Agreed. Also, I’d think that Ford/May airing out close to half the team via Frank would be more harmful to recruits’ perception of Ford than the opinions of some MBMs expressed on a website.

24 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Listened to the Opening Monologue.  Frank didn't say anything that hasn't been repeated many times.  Ultimately it is the coach's responsibility when they don't win, but some of it is on the players.  On Perkins, God bless him, but physically and health wise he just didn't come back.  On Yuri, he is a great PG but isn't the one to get a winning bucket at the end of game.  On Gibson, he can be guarded.  On the centers, they were inconsistent, they played their hearts out.  

Continued onto Mizzou who is putting together a NIL deal to buy Kobe Brown's final year.  Said that is where the money should go, to players.

Listen to the segment before you comment.  Make your own decisions on if you agree or not with Frank.