2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

10 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Ignore cheeseman 

I have never advocated ignoring anyone so your response is very immature.  You want to pick a fight with someone leave me out if since I have not instigated any of this other than to express by opinion.  I am sorry but if you think you are going to own me you are dead wrong I not going to play that childish game with you.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

No one wants to kick the tires on Blake Ahearn?  He's a board legend. I don't follow NBA so I'm unsure what he does at the Grizzlies. 

Don't make me get on the Diener Express toot toot (he hasn't won in KC so I'm off that train).

1. Mack

2. Kelsey

Tied Greg Marshall

Ahearn

Any others that should be on the shortlist?

My wild speculation.  Mack was lined up, but Providence opening is now being used to get more $.

ABomb, I think Marshall will have a hard time bringing in recruits based on what went down at WSU. 

rgbilliken likes this

46 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Look if getting an at large bid or a conference tourney trophy is how to get into the Dance then I can assure you that 26 wins is better than 22.5.  Making it to the tourney final adds games to your win total.  The big problem I see is unless you as a mid major dominate your league your are screwed.  Ford has never dominated anything since being here except for his tourney run 5 years ago.  To bad he could not have used that as a springboard.  Remember people want hope and when there is not really anything to hope for fans will get disengaged.  Ford has managed to accomplish this regardless of his 22.5 win simply by not bringing home the bacon now and then.  

I do think it is a fair question to ask who would I bring in but I am not making the big bucks to make that decision so it is mute.  This is why we pay May.

The only decision you have made is to repeat yourself into oblivion. You're getting there, one redundant post after another.

Just now, cheeseman said:

I have never advocated ignoring anyone so your response is very immature.  You want to pick a fight with someone leave me out if since I have not instigated any of this other than to express by opinion.  I am sorry but if you think you are going to own me you are dead wrong I not going to play that childish game with you.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 A little sensitive aren't you? That was a jab at Dennis, not you. With that angry retort it seems you are the childish one wanting to pick a fight. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

You know Fords staying, right?

He's dead man walking.  If he stays another season he'll get the same old results (probably worse) and be fired.  You can all blame me for sowing discontent as the reason the team under achieved, I don't care. 

I'm hopeful the big money wins out and he's gone.  Like I said you pay $400k to keep a star PG and you get 0% ROI that can make ya mad. Mad enough that someone with the kinda money that wants to buy an NBA team might just pay the $5mil.

Ford should put his house on the market before the bottom falls out of real estate.  Don't want to be stuck like Brad trying to sell a place with an indoor basketball court in the coming economy. 

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

No one wants to kick the tires on Blake Ahearn?  He's a board legend. I don't follow NBA so I'm unsure what he does at the Grizzlies. 

Don't make me get on the Diener Express toot toot (he hasn't won in KC so I'm off that train).

1. Mack

2. Kelsey

Tied Greg Marshall

Ahearn

My wild speculation.  Mack was lined up, but Providence opening is now being used to get more $.

Mack said he doesn’t want to coach next season. He wants to be a volleyball dad. 

Marshall was fired for allegedly physically abusing players. 

I'm not a fan of Ford and I think it's time to move on especially in the NIL and transfer portal era. I'd rather move on now and let a new coach use the NIL money than risk Ford using it poorly and then a new coach gets a smaller NIL fund. But if we want to keep Ford because the buyout is too big, or because they want him to be able to have a shot at the transfer portal/NIL fund, or they want him to be able to recruit with the Champions Center, or because we believe he has legit excuses for these seasons, or whatever then I can live with that. It's possible to revive any program in a single offseason now. I would hope retaining Ford means some sort of shake-up in staff or at least philosophy (coaching/roster construction) but maybe that doesn't even happen. Maybe we just run it back and put faith in Ford. Any scenario like that is fine for me. 

The thing that has me concerned in the past few weeks is that (at least publicly) the standards for the program have changed. Even in Ford's intro press conference, we heard about how we will be a nationally competitive program. Saying that it's been a success because of multiple 20 win seasons with not even a NIT win, and some with no postseason, and no scandals (which isn't even true) just doesn't align with the expectations/standards that we have set. That's an awfully low and outdated bar to clear. It's just worrisome what is considered a success now

Just now, HoosierPal said:

Mack said he doesn’t want to coach next season. He wants to be a volleyball dad. 

Marshall was fired for allegedly physically abusing players. 

I think it was verbal.  He hits anger management says I'm sorry I'll never do it again.  I'm good with that, dude wins in the Midwest. 

TaLBErt likes this

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I think it was verbal.  He hits anger management says I'm sorry I'll never do it again.  I'm good with that, dude wins in the Midwest. 

It was stated as both as physical, which I’m not good with, and verbal, which I would want more info on.   https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/gregg-marshall-resigns-as-wichita-state-coach-amid-allegations-of-physical-verbal-abuse-against-ex-players/

Don’t want him. 

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

There definitely is smoke to the rumor, but I'm still skeptical that it will actually happen and I think Ford deserves one more year, BUT if this is going to happen do two things. 1) You better have someone really good lined up and ready to take over quickly.  2) If you are going to do it, make the move ASAP, before the end of this week. Portal activity is already flying.

If Ford is still coach by the end of the week, I agree with Frank, the big money boosters would be better served rallying around the coach and pumping their money into the NIL.

Good post Ace. If you want Mack, you’re better off waiting til he’s ready to come back than bribing him with bigger pay. 

He's dead man walking.  If he stays another season he'll get the same old results (probably worse) and be fired.  You can all blame me for sowing discontent as the reason the team under achieved, I don't care. 

I'm hopeful the big money wins out and he's gone.  Like I said you pay $400k to keep a star PG and you get 0% ROI that can make ya mad. Mad enough that someone with the kinda money that wants to buy an NBA team might just pay the $5mil.

Ford should put his house on the market before the bottom falls out of real estate.  Don't want to be stuck like Brad trying to sell a place with an indoor basketball court in the coming economy. 

🙄

Gregg just wins. He is a world class a$$h0le but he wins. 

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Good post Ace. If you want Mack, you’re better off waiting til he’s ready to come back than bribing him with bigger pay. 

I think I'd rather annoy and bribe him now than wait till he is ready and have to fight off a ton of bigger schools. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Doesn’t his daughter play volleyball at Mizzou? Short drive to Columbia from STL.

I’m sure he’d be willing to become part-time vball dad for the right price. 

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Doesn’t his daughter play volleyball at Mizzou? Doesn’t college volleyball end in December? Short drive to Columbia from STL.

I’m sure he’d be willing to become part-time vball dad for the right price. 

she committed but then decommitted - don't think she ever even made it onto campus

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You really want someone who physically abuses players?

Majerus whipped his wang out in front of players and no one seemed to have a problem with that.  Then again, everyone was a little less sensitive back in ‘08.   Not advocating for Marshall, just saying…

JMM28 likes this

30 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

1. Mack

2. Kelsey

Tied Greg Marshall

Ahearn

Mack would be great! Why would Ahearn leave NBA for SLU job he’s one of the top assistant coaches in NBA under 40? Don’t see that happening. Kelsey would be interesting and I read Marshall’s wife is a big factor why he hasn’t gotten another job yet. Too bad Mike Brey just signed with S Florida. 

55 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

1. Mack

2. Kelsey

Tied Greg Marshall

Ahearn

People might want to brush up on their Ahearn.

DeSmetBilliken likes this

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Wouldn't be SLU's first time hiring this kind of coach (allegedly) 

Crews was accused of this at Army and had no personality based issues here.  Is Marshall really bad? I don't know but I'd do some due diligence and if good take the chance.

As for Ahearn? Some people have ambition to be The Guy not just an assistant.  Maybe he misses Imo's, slingers, I don't know.   Like I said, I know nothing about Ahearn maybe someone in the know can fill us in on his qualifications.

9 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Majerus whipped his wang out in front of players and no one seemed to have a problem with that.  Then again, everyone was a little less sensitive back in ‘08.   Not advocating for Marshall, just saying…

I mean who hasn't? AmIrite?

Guys? Guys......

JMM28 and brianstl like this

20 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

More surprised (impressed?) he was able to locate it.