2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

the ignore feature can be used for those that dont want to read what bbf posts, i use it for some

No because excluding coaching talk, I don't mind him input. 

4 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You’re an idiot if you think recruiting will still not be important. What if the financial offers are similar where will they go? How about your job, are you going to work for a Ford hater type personality for an extra $500, or go somewhere where you will be treated respectfully? There are lots of things to still consider, playing time, happiness, development, oh and maybe even education? Your hatred has robbed you of any common sense. 

I agree with BBF on this point. If anything, recruiting is even more important with NIL. NIL and the Portal means players will be coming and going a lot more than in the past. 

dennis_w likes this

38 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

to determine the winner of the conference, there is a regular season champion and a conference tournament champion, the tournament seeding is determined from the regular season standings and sometimes tie breakers are necessary, vcu got to hang two banners a-10 champion and a-10 tournament champion

All a regular season championship does is guarantee you an NIT bid. It’s not that meaningful in the grand scheme of things if your goal is the NCAA tourney. 

And a general question to anyone, if two teams tie for first, do they share the regular season title? Or does it go based on tiebreakers?

8 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

And a general question to anyone, if two teams tie for first, do they share the regular season title? Or does it go based on tiebreakers?

The women's team had to deal with this back in 2016 and they still technically won the regular season title, but since they were the 3rd team to share the title in terms of tie breakers, they were seeded 3rd, I think. 

13 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

All a regular season championship does is guarantee you an NIT bid. It’s not that meaningful in the grand scheme of things if your goal is the NCAA tourney. 

share the title

Just now, dennis_w said:

share the title,yes the nit says you can play if you are the champions correct it is not the ncaa, but you can call yourself champion and hang a banner, if it doesnt matter why play the regular season, just have a post season tournament and a bunch of pre tournament scrimmage games., i have said often if post season is the only thing making your season the big boys are making it harder every year to fulfill that goal

24 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

They share it, happens all the time except in a Ford haters world. 

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

If the P6 is making it more difficult for MMs to make the tourney, then our response should be to try to join the P6 rather than lower our expectations. The Big East is going to expand soon and while we have the facilities and investment to fit in, a string of disappointing seasons and little tangible basketball success means we’re likely to be on the outside looking in once again. 

Do you think the Big East sees a “second-place regular season tie” in the weakest A10 in years and thinks we’d be a good addition?

Just now, NoCoBillsFan said:

If the P6 is making it more difficult for MMs to make the tourney, then our response should be to try to join the P6 rather than lower our expectations. The Big East is going to expand soon and while we have the facilities and investment to fit in, a string of disappointing seasons and little tangible basketball success means we’re likely to be on the outside looking in once again. 

i am quite sure the admins are aware the p6 is better, but the reality is we are a mm team, until we can move on enjoy the ride

6 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i am quite sure the admins are aware the p6 is better, but the reality is we are a mm team, until we can move on enjoy the ride

The issue is that we’ll never be able to move on if we accept mediocrity.

Side note: thank you for having a reasonable discussion despite being on different sides of this. 

4 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

The issue is that we’ll never be able to move on if we accept mediocrity.

Side note: thank you for having a reasonable discussion despite being on different sides of this. 

i couldnt tell all the criteria a p6 conference is looking, but it is more than just the mens basketball record, market share other sports facilities etc. i personally dont define top third of the conference a definition of mediocre as some do, maybe the big east does, our facilities and market share are not mediocre, if a new coach is on the way i cant of a worse way to handle it that is whats happening now

CenHudDude likes this

8 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Frank is still a believer in the 20 win season. 

Im ok with Ford being here a year and throwing that money towards NIL . If it doesn't work out, you know for sure 2 things, you know Fords not the guy, and you know how important the next coaching hire needs to be. 

4 hours ago, JMM28 said:

No one hates Travis Ford. Stop with the straw man. 

Not worth trying to reason with him. He rants every post about “Ford Haters” being disrespectful, yet hasn’t presented one respectful argument on this board in the last week.  I really think he/she is related to Ford. It seems incredibly personal for whoever BIG BILL FAN is. 

Frank and Ford are tight. I definitely expect him to have Ford's back. And his point is sound. NIL is a huge deal. The portal is a huge deal. Ford can turn this around in 3 months if he plays his cards right this offseason. So could a new coach. There really aren't excuses for a rebuild anymore. And 20 win seasons and top 4 conference finishes are meaningless. Hell, there isn't much difference between a 10 win season and a 20 win season if neither ends up in postseason play.

I expect Ford to be the coach next season. I don't think it's the best move but the ability is there to turn it around. All it takes is one good offseason to lead to a big year and then a ton of stability. Honestly, he needs to feel his seat warming up. He has to change something and sometimes the only way to do that is to feel the heat. 

Bizziken likes this

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

No, I’m just not a liar like you. Not hard to understand. Only people with weak arguments have to lie and deceive. 

Why is this so personal for you?   In this thread, you’ve been incapable of conveying a single thought without some kind of insult or attack on the “Ford haters”.