2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Great story. Super happy for them and the team and the future. They lost to Tennessee by 45 my guy.

Could work out. Definitely a world where Ford is fired and we go backwards. Nobody seems to mention that though.

MY GUY, Tennessee has 5 star recruits averaging 5 minutes & <2 points a game with 4 star Walk-Ons warming the bench.

Your thought process is antiquated. The portal and NIL has changed the game completely, we're long past the time where a coaching change meant a full rebuild. Could we take a step back, maybe. But it's far less likely than I think you're estimating.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

MY GUY, Tennessee has 5 star recruits averaging 5 minutes & <2 points a game with 4 star Walk-Ons warming the bench.

Your thought process is antiquated. The portal and NIL has changed the game completely, we're long past the time where a coaching change meant a full rebuild.

That's fine lol. Just saying If the guys lost to Tennessee by 45 in the first round of the tourny I'd have to name my first kid Schasz. 

I hope you are right.

rgbilliken, Fraz and slufanskip like this

22 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Question for everyone. What happens when we fire Ford and we finish 7th or 8th next year with a gutted roster? Will you guys be happy then? Would hate to have a few down years ala ok state. 

There's a good chance we're close to that next year with Ford. 

SLU_Lax likes this

9 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-sorry to offend poster DOC with repetition but bringing on a new cast of assistant coaches when my observation tells me CFord doesn't listen to them doesn't have a lot of meaning, in fact, none

You have to laugh at comments like this. You have no idea of the conversations Ford has with his assistants, much less whether he listens to them. I wonder if you realize that it is the assistants who scout and game plan for future opponents. Again, if you’re privy to sitting in on meetings regularly, please enlighten us with examples of Ford not taking his assistants advice.

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

There's a good chance we're close to that next year with Ford. 

Ford hasn't finished outside the top 6 besides the first year where sit 2 threw everything off. I'd even argue without that we would have been better years 2 and 3.

What evidence is there that he won't have success picking up talent and be competing for the top of the A10 again next year?

Edit: I could be mistiming the sit 2 stuff. I just know I haven't seen anything to make me think we would slide to middle of the pack next year.

Just now, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ford hasn't finished outside the top 6 besides the first year where sit 2 threw everything off. I'd even argue without that we would have been better years 2 and 3.

What evidence is there that he won't have success picking up talent and be competing for the top of the A10 again next year?

to answer your question, no evidence, a good core of young talent and solid recruits signed. the portal and spring recruiting is just starting. rivera has been said to be very athletic maybe he is that defensive stopper, we dont know what the roster is so to say it will bad is pure conjecture backed up by no historical evidence

9 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Edit: I could be mistiming the sit 2 stuff. I just know I haven't seen anything to make me think we would slide to middle of the pack next year.

He has averaged 5th in the A10 excluding year one at SLU.  5th is only 2 spots better than what I'm thinking we could see with a whole new team next year. That's not some far fetched idea.  He also finished 5th just a season ago, its not like its even been a long time. 

There is no evidence unless you go off of recent portal pick ups.  That's tough to gauge since it was mainly back up spots.  

3 hours ago, willie said:

Barry Orms. 

Willie...Thanks for correcting me on Barry's last name. I picked 3 players from the 60's. I actually worked at the old Kiel Auditorium back in the 60's and got to see SLU before I went their fort my Under Grad Degree. Followed the Billikens and saw them play at Kiel in the late 50's. Saw the original Leuchtefeld (SP?) Glad to know there is someone else who goes back to the old days too!

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Great story. Super happy for them and the team and the future. They lost to Tennessee by 45 my guy.

Could work out. Definitely a world where Ford is fired and we go backwards. Nobody seems to mention that though.

Women have had more postseason success in the last decade than the men. My guy.

5 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

OK I'll start with what I think SLU's overall expectations should be:

-Win A10 regular season or tournament once every 4 years.

-NIT appearance 2x every 4 years

-Advance in NCAA Tournament 50% of your appearances, so every other time win at least 1 game

-Advance in NIT at least every other appearance with more than 1 win. 

Next season, I need more data on who's staying and who's transferring in

...and get to the Sweet 16 at least once before I die!

Bizziken likes this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Here are the red flags or green flags I'm looking for if Ford is retained and this is the discussion, IMHO, that should take place:

1. Does he shake up his staff? You don't get to underachieve and get the green light to continue operating in the same capacities.

2. Where has our assistant and basketball ops staff fallen short? I'd say in game strategy as well as sports performance/conditioning. I want to see Travis bring in some new blood on his coaching staff, I don't just mean let a guy go and bring in another guy he's worked with in the past. I want someone brand new to Ford. I want someone with  differing ideas and coaching philosophies. Obviously a strategic and offensive basketball mind, I know WPB or Chapley has mentioned to me that they would like Matt McCall as an assistant. Bring in a bunch of DOGS on defense and let McCall draw up some sets to make it work on offense. I would like to see a change in strength and conditioning. Way too many nagging injuries this season. Two major ACL injuries last year between men and women, one this year.

3. More on the culture: what kind of player is Travis Ford bringing in? He experimented with this roster of gunners and it didn't work, get back to the Goodwin/French toughness on defense is my biggest wish. This program has been at it's best when scoring against is like pulling teeth.

So there's some talking points and my opinion on those points. IMO if Travis is retained and doesn't make ANY changes from this year and we fail to make the tournament, then he 100% needs to be gone after next season.

I was gonna throw my 2 cents in on this topic’s redundancy but this post sums it up for me. Travis has had some bad breaks but should have done better with this last team. This team had some injuries but overall was soft. It’s the Wild West with the portal and this should play into Ford and Tate’s hands. Go get some killers and then it’s put up or shut up. If no tourney, bye bye. But I’ll get behind him one more year and be at every game. I will skip the cut and paste rhetoric on this board after every loss.  I’m sick of reading it. The Athletic department is well aware.

ACE and cgeldmacher like this

Ya and Dayton missed the tourney after being 24th to start the year. Strange how that happens. 

I saw Baldwin tear us up a few times. Fred probably would of helped with that. I saw Perkins on the bench all of last year, didn't play at all, so not really apples to apples now is it. You're smarter than this.

I won't be upset if Ford leaves. I just think it's wild how quickly everyone is to throw him to the wolves.

Question for everyone. What happens when we fire Ford and we finish 7th or 8th next year with a gutted roster? Will you guys be happy then? Would hate to have a few down years ala ok state. 

I'll be at chaifetz for every game for the next several years anyway unlike some of you but all this is definitely interesting.

I would gladly finish 7-8th for a year or two with the potential to rebuild and start fresh. Clean house. We lose a few 3 star recruits? Big whoop, they’d probably be soft anyways. Better that scenario than the almost guaranteed continued mediocrity we have come to expect. I’ve seen enough of Ford rolling around the court flailing his arms like a jagoff

Fraz likes this

9 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

It wasn't a diss..... I was just saying that's a weird goal to strive for....

And that's just not true? But whatever I'm not trying to take anything away from them.  

It's absolutely true.

24 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Women have had more postseason success in the last decade than the men. My guy.

5 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

4 WNITs and 1 NCAA, multiple WNIT wins. Men have...1 NCAA appearance and 0 wins.

You have to at least count 2014 NCAA trip and win against NC State in the last decade. Some would argue you should count the 2013 NCAA trip and win against New Mexico state in the past decade as well. 

6 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

4 WNITs and 1 NCAA, multiple WNIT wins. Men have...1 NCAA appearance and 0 wins.

Depending on how you count, in the last decade, men’s team has at least 2 NCAA appearances (2014 and 2019) and 2013 was 10 years (11 seasons) ago. They won a first round game (vs NC State) in 2014 and won a first round game (vs New Mexico State) in 2013.

6 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

You have to at least count 2014 NCAA trip and win against NC State in the last decade. Some would argue you should count the 2013 NCAA trip and win against New Mexico state in the past decade as well. 

I'll count 2014, but not 2013 for the past decade. The success has been more consistent, though. From 2014 up until 2019, the women were infinitely more fun to watch.

47 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Willie...Thanks for correcting me on Barry's last name. I picked 3 players from the 60's. I actually worked at the old Kiel Auditorium back in the 60's and got to see SLU before I went their fort my Under Grad Degree. Followed the Billikens and saw them play at Kiel in the late 50's. Saw the original Leuchtefeld (SP?) Glad to know there is someone else who goes back to the old days too!

You were close 

Sometimes you have to take a step backward to move forwards.  I don’t want to lose Vice and Medley, but if that’s required to move us out of this constant cycle of mediocrity then you have to do it. 

If they fire Ford, it’s because they’ve got someone they really like lined up. They aren’t going to do it without a plan.  A high level coach could turn this around quickly now that transfers don’t sit.  And even if it takes a year of being mediocre, if it gets us moving the program in the right direction again then so be it. As others have said, there’s absolutely no guarantee we are close to the top 4 in conference even if we keep Ford. We are gonna lose more minutes and scoring than probably any team in the country, and we have nothing to show for it. 

42 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

I would gladly finish 7-8th for a year or two with the potential to rebuild and start fresh. Clean house. We lose a few 3 star recruits? Big whoop, they’d probably be soft anyways. Better that scenario than the almost guaranteed continued mediocrity we have come to expect. I’ve seen enough of Ford rolling around the court flailing his arms like a jagoff

Potential, no guarantee?????