2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

15 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

But apparently Ford supporters are not welcome??? Make up your mind… 

The level of personal that you take attacks on the coach's performance to be is very strange stuff.

One thing I haven't really seen from Ford supporters at this point is arguments to keep him from a basketball perspective.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

The level of personal that you take attacks on the coach's performance to be is very strange stuff.

One thing I haven't really seen from Ford supporters at this point is arguments to keep him from a basketball perspective.

There have been plenty of arguments presented, you just choose to ignore them or lie about them. 

23 minutes ago, TheBand said:

Brad Soderberg wasn’t fired till mid April! (4/17/07)

After a season similar to the one we just had, if I remember correctly. (Obviously not in conference, but overall).

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

OK I'll start with what I think SLU's overall expectations should be:

-Win A10 regular season or tournament once every 4 years.

-NIT appearance 2x every 4 years

-Advance in NCAA Tournament 50% of your appearances, so every other time win at least 1 game

-Advance in NIT at least every other appearance with more than 1 win. 

Next season, I need more data on who's staying and who's transferring in

This is a very good set of expectations. The only thing I'd suggest is clarifying the first one. My suggestion would be to Win the A10 regular season AND/OR tournament every 4 years. That would mean an auto-bid every other year and a likely At-Large every other year -- presuming the A10 goes back to a two-bid league. If not, then I'd say win the tourney 2 of 4 years. In the NCAA tourney 50% of the time -- either way.

Who's monitoring what today? If there is indeed a sword of damocles over CTF where will the news break first?  

38 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Exactly, some on here I'd guess haven't been around for as long as others. Sone probably did not attend SLU as many have on here. Yes, I actually attended many games when Ron Ekker was HC in the late 70's and early 80's...very bad teams with one of the all time great players in David Burns who played for them. Wonder how many on here saw as I did Eugene Moore, Barry Arms, and John Kilo play at SLU. 

The point being there have been good and bad players and HC's in SLU's basketball history. When expectations are high like they have been during Ford's tenure I disregard some of the people on here who get on those that want Ford gone. He's had enough time to prove his worth so count me as someone who hopes the information provided by another person turns out to be 100% correct!

Barry Orms. 

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Who's monitoring what today? If there is indeed a sword of damocles over CTF where will the news break first?  

i still have my doubts that there is any substance to this rumor, if the decision has been made it is unusual to wait this long. most schools want to get on with the new guy

Just now, dennis_w said:

i still have my doubts that there is any substance to this rumor, if the decision has been made it is unusual to wait this long. most schools want to get on with the new guy

Perhaps other events of the day threw a wrench in the plans.   IE the opening at PC.

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's clear your expectations are lower than what was laid out by May for his Basketball programs, men or women.

i wish we had annual tournament appearances, but it wasnt my expectation, i wanted competive basketball with sustained success, i think slu is on the cusp of annual top 50 and i dont think it time to start over, but i dont make decisions. most detractors on this board want to ford bash without giving him credit for anything positive, if you were the ad you could hire who you want and hope you get it right. if not you are unemployed and guaranteed mediocrity for years

I still think this is all wild speculation. I’m not a Ford fan at this point, as I think this season was a big whiff. Primarily because this team lacked any character. Yes, there were injuries that hurt, but find me a team that doesn’t deal with injuries during a season. But injuries didn’t cause the loss at Auburn, the blown leads, getting waxed by Iona and UMass. The humiliating loss to SIUE. 

4 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i wish we had annual tournament appearances, but it wasnt my expectation, i wanted competive basketball with sustained success, i think slu is on the cusp of annual top 50 and i dont think it time to start over, but i dont make decisions. most detractors on this board want to ford bash without giving him credit for anything positive, if you were the ad you could hire who you want and hope you get it right. if not you are unemployed and guaranteed mediocrity for years

You're still not defining any goals. This team wasn't nationally competitive, sh!t this team didn't compete, especially on the defensive end.

Don't think of it as starting over. Think of it as acknowledging a step in the right direction, to get over that hump we need to take what momentum Ford has built and continue to add on with someone new. Especially with the transfer portal and NIL there's no need for 4 year rebuilds or "starting over" in the traditional sense, you don't have to look any further than the women's basketball program for proof of that. Sh!t, look at Xavier, they won the NIT and fired their coach. Look at them now.

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I still think this is all wild speculation. I’m not a Ford fan at this point, as I think this season was a big whiff. Primarily because this team lacked any character. Yes, there were injuries that hurt, but find me a team that doesn’t deal with injuries during a season. But injuries didn’t cause the loss at Auburn, the blown leads, getting waxed by Iona and UMass. The humiliating loss to SIUE. 

We know....

1 hour ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

“We” is the majority of this board. And if it’s not the majority I’d like to see a poll created to see how all the posters stack up. Settle it once and for all

The vast majority would for sure vote for you haters to keep your incessant posting on the matter out of every single thread. That one would be a landslide. 

AGB91 likes this

1 minute ago, DOC said:

The vast majority would for sure vote for you haters to keep your incessant posting on the matter out of every single thread. That one would be a landslide. 

yes, any post that is the least bit positive is piled on with ford must go, as that is only solution. "we are on our way to basketball dynasy if only ford is fired" rational discussion is gone, what is there to talk about if ford is retained?

2 minutes ago, DOC said:

Nah we went from Kool-Aid to drunk on Haterade.  Your responses are like the red bull in our RBVs.  Just pumping us up more. 

I'm off for St. Joseph's Day. Keep hitting refresh praying for intercession.

1 minute ago, dennis_w said:

yes, any post that is the least bit positive is piled on with ford must go, as that is only solution. "we are on our way to basketball dynasy if only ford is fired" rational discussion is gone, what is there to talk about if ford is retained?

True Facts

12 minutes ago, DOC said:

I don’t believe that to be the case whatsoever given the traffic and interest in this topic. And look, bottom feeder SJU just bagged a hall of fame coach, the same one who schooled your beloved Ford this year with our “most talented team ever.”

gobillsgo likes this

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Here are the red flags or green flags I'm looking for if Ford is retained and this is the discussion, IMHO, that should take place:

1. Does he shake up his staff? You don't get to underachieve and get the green light to continue operating in the same capacities.

2. Where has our assistant and basketball ops staff fallen short? I'd say in game strategy as well as sports performance/conditioning. I want to see Travis bring in some new blood on his coaching staff, I don't just mean let a guy go and bring in another guy he's worked with in the past. I want someone brand new to Ford. I want someone with  differing ideas and coaching philosophies. Obviously a strategic and offensive basketball mind, I know WPB or Chapley has mentioned to me that they would like Matt McCall as an assistant. Bring in a bunch of DOGS on defense and let McCall draw up some sets to make it work on offense. I would like to see a change in strength and conditioning. Way too many nagging injuries this season. Two major ACL injuries last year between men and women, one this year.

3. More on the culture: what kind of player is Travis Ford bringing in? He experimented with this roster of gunners and it didn't work, get back to the Goodwin/French toughness on defense is my biggest wish. This program has been at it's best when scoring against is like pulling teeth.

So there's some talking points and my opinion on those points. IMO if Travis is retained and doesn't make ANY changes from this year and we fail to make the tournament, then he 100% needs to be gone after next season.

4 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

I don’t believe that to be the case whatsoever given the traffic and interest in this topic. And look, bottom feeder SJU just bagged a hall of fame coach, the same one who schooled your beloved Ford this year with our “most talented team ever.”

karate-kid-body-bag.gif

13 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

I’m 100% ok if they fire Ford. My problem is with you guys that shut down every thread repeating yourself over and over and over. It’s beyond arrogant to think we want to hear your same take on ford every 5 minutes. 
I agree with everything 05 just said about the needed changes. If Ford disagrees with those then he has to go. If they fire him then it should have happened yesterday so we can get our coach on the recruiting trail. 

Matty Light likes this

42 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Seems to me that there is a lot of projection going on here from some.

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Every team has excuses. Baldwin and Malachi were out significant time for VCU and Dayton.  

Ya and Dayton missed the tourney after being 24th to start the year. Strange how that happens. 

I saw Baldwin tear us up a few times. Fred probably would of helped with that. I saw Perkins on the bench all of last year, didn't play at all, so not really apples to apples now is it. You're smarter than this.

I won't be upset if Ford leaves. I just think it's wild how quickly everyone is to throw him to the wolves.

Question for everyone. What happens when we fire Ford and we finish 7th or 8th next year with a gutted roster? Will you guys be happy then? Would hate to have a few down years ala ok state. 

I'll be at chaifetz for every game for the next several years anyway unlike some of you but all this is definitely interesting.

10 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ya and Dayton missed the tourney after being 24th to start the year. Strange how that happens. 

I saw Baldwin tear us up a few times. Fred probably would of helped with that. I saw Perkins on the bench all of last year, didn't play at all, so not really apples to apples now is it. You're smarter than this.

I won't be upset if Ford leaves. I just think it's wild how quickly everyone is to throw him to the wolves.

Question for everyone. What happens when we fire Ford and we finish 7th or 8th next year with a gutted roster? Will you guys be happy then? Would hate to have a few down years ala ok state. 

I'll be at chaifetz for every game for the next several years anyway unlike some of you but all this is definitely interesting.

SLU....Women's....Basketball.