2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

OK I'll start with what I think SLU's overall expectations should be:

-Win A10 regular season or tournament once every 4 years.

-NIT appearance 2x every 4 years

-Advance in NCAA Tournament 50% of your appearances, so every other time win at least 1 game

-Advance in NIT at least every other appearance with more than 1 win. 

Next season, I need more data on who's staying and who's transferring in

Between the NCAA Tourney and NIT there are 100 spots now. It is absolutely acceptable to say that SLU should be in the NCAA or NIT every single year or at least 90% of the time. This is not a crazy achievement.

BigMouthBilliken likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

the a-10 doesnt have a balanced scheduling, so the playing field is not level when it comes to conference records. billikens played four games against the top of the conference and fordham did not, should have? maybe but still tied not middle of the pack

So what man? We asked for the A10 to give us the perennial contenders. Fordham kicked our ass at Rose Hill, Dayton punked us at UD and we escaped with a win at home.

This season didn't live up to the expectations set at Travis Ford's hiring, anything else is semantics and meaningless.

Just now, Soderball said:

Between the NCAA Tourney and NIT there are 100 spots now. It is absolutely acceptable to say that SLU should be in the NCAA or NIT every single year or at least 90% of the time. This is not a crazy achievement.

I get it, I'm trying to be reasonable.  Sometimes there will be injuries or an issue or just a rebuild year.  So I'm saying 3 of 4 years post season. 

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

So what man? We asked for the A10 to give us the perennial contenders. Fordham kicked our ass at Rose Hill, Dayton punked us at UD and we escaped with a win at home.

This season didn't live up to the expectations set at Travis Ford's hiring, anything else is semantics and meaningless.

you are correct about disappointment, i was addressing the comments about middle of the pack etc, not ford's entire tenure, you all might get your wish of a new coach and it might work out, might not, would we have "escaped" with a win at home against fordham? maybe, the game wasnt played. i think ford will be the coach next year, if he craps his pants then his seat should get real hot. 

While @courtside has a strong track record and doesn’t typically post something if he hasn’t heard it, the timing just feels weird. Travis and staff are out recruiting already for next season. Seems like the AD wouldn’t authorize them to go out and do so if they were on the chopping block. 

Just now, dennis_w said:

you are correct about disappointment, i was addressing the comments about middle of the pack etc, not ford's entire tenure, you all might get your wish of a new coach and it might work out, might not, would we have "escaped" with a win at home against fordham? maybe, the game wasnt played. i think ford will be the coach next year, if he craps his pants then his seat should get real hot. 

You think I want to do this sh!t all over again? I don't want a new coach, I'd wager most people here who are pushing for a change wanted Ford to get us over the hump. This has to be the rosetta stone of the arguments on this board. Nobody is reveling in the idea that Travis has failed to live up to his performance expectations. It fuoking sucks.

For the sake of my work productivity it sure would be nice for @TheOne to jump in here and put this to rest one way or another. TheOne's silence is definitely interesting but there is no way to tell if they've been on this board since Courtside's post because the "last visited" feature has been disabled on their profile. I see Courtside has been checking in though 🥸

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You think I want to do this sh!t all over again? I don't want a new coach, I'd wager most people here who are pushing for a change wanted Ford to get us over the hump. This has to be the rosetta stone of the arguments on this board. Nobody is reveling in the idea that Travis has failed to live up to his performance expectations. It fuoking sucks.

well said

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

the most vocal certainly want someone different than travis and you are correct nobody is enjoying that lack of tournament appearances etc. what change is everyone pushing for that doesnt include firing ford?

17 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

the most vocal certainly want someone different than travis and you are correct nobody is enjoying that lack of tournament appearances etc. what change is everyone pushing for that doesnt include firing ford?

What change is there but to fire the coach?

The coach recruits, the coach coaches, the coach brings in transfers. Lol. Do you even know what you are watching? This isn't the MLB or NBA. There is no "front office" fighting with the manager over decisions. The coach decides everything. He is the decider.

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

12-6, 12-6, 12-6 that is the second place records, doesnt mean anyone likes it but that is the record

12-6 and tied for second is where we finished the A-10 season.  That’s statistically correct.  Doesn’t mean that we fans were happy with that. Some of the anti Ford posters here want to muddy the water by looking at the A-10 tournament seedings. The fact that we were the 4th seed in the A-10 tournament does not negate the fact that we tied for second in the conference.  Does anyone not understand that?

slufanskip and DOC like this

16 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Well, I would say:

A change at the athletic director position. Due to his horrendous PR tour.

A major change among the coaching staff.

A major change in the recruiting focus.

The change at the end of the day should be Ford's termination, because it's the right move, because he has not performed to the level set forth in his contract. Not because we want it.

JettFlight5 likes this

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Your husband just isn’t a very good college basketball coach, Mrs. Ford.   It’s nothing personal with him, we just don’t want him coaching at our university anymore.  Maybe one of these 15 or 16 seeds will need a new coach after theirs move up in the college hoops world. 

Who’s we, are you the new  girls scouts leader? Oh, and it’s YOUR university, got it…talk about arrogance…

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Well, I would say:

A change at the athletic director position. Due to his horrendous PR tour.

A major change among the coaching staff.

A major change in the recruiting focus.

The change at the end of the day should be Ford's termination, because it's the right move, because he has not performed to the level set forth in his contract. Not because we want it.

Amen

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Well... There is a few reasons. And they are good ones lol see @ACE recap of last several seasons in whatever thread that was in for the list. 

Every team has excuses. Baldwin and Malachi were out significant time for VCU and Dayton.  

5 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Who’s we, are you the new  girls scouts leader? Oh, and it’s YOUR university, got it…talk about arrogance…

“We” is the majority of this board. And if it’s not the majority I’d like to see a poll created to see how all the posters stack up. Settle it once and for all

4 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

12-6 and tied for second is where we finished the A-10 season.  That’s statistically correct.  Doesn’t mean that we fans were happy with that. Some of the anti Ford posters here want to muddy the water by looking at the A-10 tournament seedings. The fact that we were the 4th seed in the A-10 tournament does not negate the fact that we tied for second in the conference.  Does anyone not understand that?

I get what you’re saying, but even if you say that we finished second, that doesn’t make the season successful. This was a team that absolutely should have been in the mix for an NCAA at-large berth, and not only did they fail to do that, but they missed the NIT as well. I just don’t see why this “we actually finished second” argument means anything.

Instead of arguing over where the top or mid or lower tier is in the A10 look at it this way:  In a non P 5 conference being anything lower than 1 or 2 will not get you an at large bid anymore.  So, if we are not at least 2 then we can only get to the Dance is to win the Conference Tourney.   Until we are there coming in 4th is a consolation prize.

10 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I said “our” not “my”. This is a SLU basketball forum, in case you didn’t notice before.  If you have to resort to nitpicking whether or not SLU is “our” university, you’ve lost the argument, buddy. 

51 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

While @courtside has a strong track record and doesn’t typically post something if he hasn’t heard it, the timing just feels weird. Travis and staff are out recruiting already for next season. Seems like the AD wouldn’t authorize them to go out and do so if they were on the chopping block. 

Brad Soderberg wasn’t fired till mid April! (4/17/07)

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I said “our” not “my”. This is a SLU basketball forum, in case you didn’t notice before.  If you have to resort to nitpicking whether or not SLU is “our” university, you’ve lost the argument, buddy. 

But apparently Ford supporters are not welcome??? Make up your mind… 

5 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

“We” is the majority of this board. And if it’s not the majority I’d like to see a poll created to see how all the posters stack up. Settle it once and for all

Exactly, some on here I'd guess haven't been around for as long as others. Sone probably did not attend SLU as many have on here. Yes, I actually attended many games when Ron Ekker was HC in the late 70's and early 80's...very bad teams with one of the all time great players in David Burns who played for them. Wonder how many on here saw as I did Eugene Moore, Barry Arms, and John Kilo play at SLU. 

The point being there have been good and bad players and HC's in SLU's basketball history. When expectations are high like they have been during Ford's tenure I disregard some of the people on here who get on those that want Ford gone. He's had enough time to prove his worth so count me as someone who hopes the information provided by another person turns out to be 100% correct!

2 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

But apparently Ford supporters are not welcome??? Make up your mind… 

You’re grasping at straws.  No one has told any “Ford supporters” they aren’t welcome, or to leave the board.  I don’t see how any reasonable fan could still be a “Ford supporter” at this point, but that’s not my problem. 

I think almost everyone acknowledges that Travis seems like a good guy, he’s just not the right person to lead this program anymore.  

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

You’re grasping at straws.  No one has told any “Ford supporters” they aren’t welcome, or to leave the board.  I don’t see how any reasonable fan could still be a “Ford supporter” at this point, but that’s not my problem. 

I think almost everyone acknowledges that Travis seems like a good guy, he’s just not the right person to lead this program anymore.  

Amen!!!

8 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

there a lot of unreasonable people out there